Notifications
Clear all

Raw Vegan Diet

MemberMember
(@black-cat)

Posted : 12/23/2008 1:53 pm

I was wondering if anyone here follows a raw vegan diet or has tried it in the past and whether or not it had an impact on your acne. I'm also wondering if a macrobiotic diet has a positive or negative effect on acne. Anyone?

MemberMember
(@charliieee)

Posted : 12/23/2008 3:00 pm

It depends what triggers acne for you. I would start by eliminating all grains including rice and corn, sugars and dairy products. For me a traditional raw vegan diet would not work, as I break out from most fruit. I can completely clear with a diet of low sugar veg (carrot, celery, spinach, lettuce, green and red peppers) and just some fat like olive oil. I would recommend a diet of the veg I listed plus some meat (duck, chicken, fish). Cook your meals yourself so you know what is in them. You can use sea salt, dried herbs and drink herbal teas quite liberally. I use stevia sometimes too without a problem.

MemberMember
(@pshtigotthatt)

Posted : 12/23/2008 7:37 pm

I follow a raw vegan diet and I have been vegan for about 2 years. It has not done much for my acne. I actually never had acne until a few months ago, but i believe it was hormones for me. so like someone else said it really just depends on what trigers your acne.

food doesnt seem to do much for me.

MemberMember
(@lollypolly)

Posted : 12/24/2008 11:04 am

I follow raw vegan, my skin has never looked better provided I don't overdose on fruits...

MemberMember
(@black-cat)

Posted : 12/24/2008 5:09 pm

I follow raw vegan, my skin has never looked better provided I don't overdose on fruits...

What type of acne did you have or what type do you tend to get? Mild, moderate, severe?

What made you decide to follow a raw vegan diet? Do you eat 100% raw

Do you take any supplements or eat only organic?

I think following a raw vegan diet would help me since I know my acne is triggered in part by food. But it's really tough for me to give up eating cooked and processed food. I don't eat meat but I do eat fish and I stayed away from dairy for awhile but have gone back to having that and I'm pretty sure that has some effect on my skin. I also love bread, pasta, and chocolate...I think I'm a carb addict. I think its easier not to overdo it with carbs when I have more filling foods like fish. I find that even 100% whole grain foods don't keep me satisfied for long. However, when I try to stay away from certain foods I find that all I can think about is having those foods! I know I should conduct an elimination diet to test myself for food allergies but I'm not sure where to begin.

MemberMember
(@glass-danse)

Posted : 12/24/2008 6:53 pm

I'm a carb addict.

Well... that's probably a big problem for your skin.

I find that even 100% whole grain foods don't keep me satisfied for long.

I find fatty foods a lot more satisfying than whole grain foods high in fiber, personally.

MemberMember
(@lollypolly)

Posted : 12/26/2008 5:59 am

What type of acne did you have or what type do you tend to get? Mild, moderate, severe?

I think following a raw vegan diet would help me since I know my acne is triggered in part by food. But it's really tough for me to give up eating cooked and processed food. I don't eat meat but I do eat fish and I stayed away from dairy for awhile but have gone back to having that and I'm pretty sure that has some effect on my skin. I also love bread, pasta, and chocolate...I think I'm a carb addict. I think its easier not to overdo it with carbs when I have more filling foods like fish. I find that even 100% whole grain foods don't keep me satisfied for long. However, when I try to stay away from certain foods I find that all I can think about is having those foods! I know I should conduct an elimination diet to test myself for food allergies but I'm not sure where to begin.

I had moderate acne of all kinds spread around most of my face. I went raw vegan after getting a book called the clear skin diet - it referred to a website (shazzie.com) I read all her journals and was hooked. No I'm not 100% - I have been and now I hover around 80% most of the time. No I don't take any supplements and yes I tend to eat mostly organic but I don't freak out too much if I can't get some things organic...

It sounds to me like you're quite heavily addicted to your cooked and processed foods so in that case the best advice I can give is continue to eat these but get something good in each day (e.g. green smoothie or fruit). Just keep upping the good stuff without freaking out so much about getting rid of the bad stuff. Slowly but surely you'll experience a shift towards the healthy/raw foods... Other than that there is a billion books on eating raw probably too many for me to mention although what helped me get started was Detox Your World (shazzie) Sunfood Diet Success (David Wolfe) Eat Smart Eat RAw (Kate Woods) and Karen Knowlers books/website.

You can get raw chocolate by the way and you can make pretty much any alternative to cooked foods too. www.goneraw.com has loads of yummy recipes

Hope that helps

Melloman liked
MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 06/23/2015 12:26 pm

QUOTE (black cat @ Dec 24 2008, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (lollypolly @ Dec 24 2008, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had moderate acne of all kinds spread around most of my face. I went raw vegan after getting a book called the clear skin diet - it referred to a website (shazzie.com) I read all her journals and was hooked. No I'm not 100% - I have been and now I hover around 80% most of the time. No I don't take any supplements and yes I tend to eat mostly organic but I don't freak out too much if I can't get some things organic...

It sounds to me like you're quite heavily addicted to your cooked and processed foods so in that case the best advice I can give is continue to eat these but get something good in each day (e.g. green smoothie or fruit). Just keep upping the good stuff without freaking out so much about getting rid of the bad stuff. Slowly but surely you'll experience a shift towards the healthy/raw foods... Other than that there is a billion books on eating raw probably too many for me to mention although what helped me get started was Detox Your World (shazzie) Sunfood Diet Success (David Wolfe) Eat Smart Eat RAw (Kate Woods) and Karen Knowlers books/website.

You can get raw chocolate by the way and you can make pretty much any alternative to cooked foods too. www.goneraw.com has loads of yummy recipes

Hope that helps

This sure helped me. I wasn't feeling shazzi, but goneraw is raw. Thanks for sharing.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 07/05/2015 8:18 am

I'm not disciplined enough to go completely raw and for me personally, I think it might exacerbate some digestive issues I have. But I do think it can work for some people, it depends on how your body tolerates raw foods. I don't think this is the diet for everyone, but I have no doubt it works for some.If you are used to eating processed foods, do as lollypolly suggests and add a few raw items gradually. Don't go too extreme with it.

MemberMember
(@tothemoonandback)

Posted : 07/10/2015 4:33 pm

I'm on a vegan diet with the majority of food being raw.

I also eat gluten free, organic, and take daily vitamins... My skin has never been clearer, but I also completed a 11 month course on accutane...

I guess it doesn't hurt to bring the big guns any way you can when you're dealing with a persistent problem.