Mirena IUD and terr...

Notifications
Clear all

Mirena IUD and terrible acne?

MemberMember
(@klousmomi)

Posted : 12/16/2008 2:50 pm

I got the Mirena IUD about two months ago and since then my skin has been terrible. I had acne in the past and took accutane for it and was fine for years until now. I would like to take accutane again but I am afraid that it will make my IUD less effective. Does anyone have any ideas for me to try? I have already used over the counter meds and creams, Differin Gel doesn't even begin to help these zits, and now I just don't know what to do. I have an appointment with my derm. on the 15th but I don't know if I can wait that long. I am 26 I should be finished with acne.

MemberMember
(@titosmommy)

Posted : 12/16/2008 9:20 pm

I just took out the Mirena, and I truly believe it was aggravating my acne for the past 3 years. I went religiously to a derm, used all the creams etc. and STILL had breakouts. After doing alot of research on my own and getting to the point of absolute disgust I saw that acne is a side effect of Mirena. They say for only a little bit but I had mine for all the time that the Mirena was in. I just took it out the first week of December and already my face has not gotten a single new breakout. I just have a regular IUD in right now. I am still dealing with one stubborn cyst which my derm injected and once that is done, I should be on the road to recovery. I am still dealing with post inflammatory from the breakouts, which I can't stand, but that will go away too eventually. I highly recommend you seriously consider removing the Mirena and replacing it with a non hormonal IUD. The androgen component of the progestin will aggravate your acne.

MemberMember
(@holisticjane)

Posted : 12/19/2008 10:48 am

the mirena releases a low dose of acne and it can aggravate hormonal acne in a big way, it's why I have a traditional IUD (Paraguard). IF you are like me, anything with hormones in it, even low dose will give me acne. Take it out!

MemberMember
(@lkystartingline)

Posted : 06/23/2009 4:40 am

I had mild acne through my teenage years and until about 19 or 20 and then it slowed down when I was on Orth tri cyclen. After I had my son, I was 22 and had the Mirena put in because it seemed like a good bc. I really did not want to be pregnant again. Now 2.5 years later I just had the mirena removed. I tried everything before and again with the Mirena to clear my face. Minocycline, differin, proactiv, murad, thomas roth, retina, peels, micros, vitamins, only drink water, no cheese, acids, sulfurs you name it!!! Now a month later i'm on yaz... my face is still broken out like crazy a horrible mix of cyst white heads black heads and small red ones.... I'm going to give it some more time to relax but I would never tell anyone to use MIRENA. This is miserable. My skin is getting more and more scared by the day and will take almost a year of micros to help it after I do get it cleared up!!! I will always research everything now before I try it!!!!

MemberMember
(@jadeb)

Posted : 09/15/2010 2:55 pm

I have suffered from mild acne on and off my whole life. I finally had it clear and had been clear for sometime.

I started breaking out again so bad and I couldn't figure out why. I was getting cystic acne on my chin, pimples all over my face (on places that I never has before like cheeks and forehead) and I even started breaking out on my back. I went on courses of Doryx, Monodox, Spironolactone and using Atralin gel. Nothing was working and it was driving me crazy not to mention upsetting me to tears. I was dealing with it for 8 months!!

I FINALLY put 2 and 2 together and mentioned to my dermatologist that I had the Mirena IUD. Light blubs went off and he told me that the hormones on Mirena are the worst for acne.

I had my IUD taken out today! The Dr asked my why and when I told him because it was making me break out he said so many patients have the same issue. I am hoping my skin clears up quickly. I am now left to deal with scaring from all the breakouts. I am going to stay on the Monodox and using the Atralin gel to try and speed the healing up.

If you are considering the Mirena IUD I high advise against it. It was the worst thing I could have ever done for my skin!

MemberMember
(@dthomas3)

Posted : 12/07/2013 11:35 am

Hello ladies. I have always had acne prone skin, but lately I've been experiencing very bad break outs on my face...especially my jawline. I have Mirena inserted a few years ago. I just put 2 and 2 together and realize that Mirena is probably what is causing this cystic acne I am dealing with. I am 40 years old people! I shouldn't be going through this. I'm getting it removed soon...and I'm just gonna tie my tubes because I don't want anymore kids anyway!

MemberMember
(@kdoll)

Posted : 12/29/2013 10:31 pm

I had Mirena IUD a few years ago after I had my second child. I was very excited that I wouldn't have to take birth control pills anymore! After a few months of being on Mirena, I realized it was making my acne-prone skin break out at its worst! I had even gone to an allergist because I had tried everything else besides a full treatment of Accutane. When I realized it was the Mirena that was causing the severe, painful cystic acne, I had it removed immediately! I was so angry with my OBGYN because they never once mentioned that acne flare-ups could be a side effect. It wasn't until I went in to have it removed that the Dr. said, "Well, it is known to happen to about 2% of patients." Thanks a lot, Doc! Now I have scars that don't easily go away to haunt my already-self-concious self. Anyway, I still get flareups every now and then, but nothing like I did while on Mirena. However, I am getting ready to go on Accutane. I want to get rid of my acne once and for alll! It's worth a try. My dermatologist told me it will reset my skin like it was before puberty. Man, I hope she's right. I'm 34 and tired of being on 4 medications everyday. I am nervous about being on Accutane. Mainly because I am worried that it wont work like the Doc says it will, and not sure what types of side effects I will get. Anyone have advice for me before I try a full Accutane treatment? I tried it when I was in my early 20's, but stopped when my symptoms started getting very severe(extremely dry skin & hair was falling out in clumps).

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 01/01/2014 8:33 am

A "Side Affect" to any drug is actually a Allergic Reaction. What does this tell you about acne? Also, how a medication works is by suppressing the bodies normal functions. Either it limits an organs function or your immune systems. That right there can also cause a disease that you already have to get worse.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 01/01/2014 9:11 am

A "Side Affect" to any drug is actually a Allergic Reaction. What does this tell you about acne? Also, how a medication works is by suppressing the bodies normal functions. Either it limits an organs function or your immune systems. That right there can also cause a disease that you already have to get worse.

This is pretty incorrect, sorry. All side effects are not necessarily allergic reactions. Allergic reactions are caused by antigen (such as pollen, poison ivy oils, bee venom, etc) getting into the bloodstream and creating antibodies for that specific antigen-- which then bind to other cells, which release histamine (makes you itchy and red!) or other symptom-inducing chemicals the next time you come in contact with that antigen. Also, a medication is not always a suppressor-- sometimes it stimulates organs to function correctly.

Acne is a hormonal symptom of the Mirena IUD that is not caused by an allergic reaction. It throws off your hormone balances and, in turn, you end up with (probably) too many androgens (male hormones--specifically DHT). This hormone causes you to create more sebum (oil in your pores), and therefore, allows your pores to become clogged, which gives you acne. Now, when you end up with acne because of the extra sebum (and therefore bacteria-- because bacteria love that oil!)-- THEN you get the inflammatory response...an "allergic reaction." It's all a lot more complicated than that, though because an allergic reaction is more of an OVER-reaction to a pathogen-- where the inflammatory response is the immune system's normal reaction to an outside pathogen.

Anyway, when I had the Mirena, my acne got pretty severe in the 3 years that I had it. Cysts all along the jawline and traveling down my neck. Cheek acne at its worst. It was terrible. I got it taken out 6 1/2 months ago and started Beyaz (same as Yaz, but with folic acid) about 5 1/2 months ago. Since I was seeing improvement with Beyaz, I figured my acne must be due to an excess amount of DHT. My acne wasn't entirely gone, so I asked my dermatologist and started 25mg Spironolactone (an anti-androgen medication) about 1 1/2 months ago. Everything has been improving since. biggrin.png

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 01/01/2014 10:36 am

This is entirely false, sorry. All side effects are not necessarily allergic reactions. Allergic reactions are caused by antigens (such as pollen, poison ivy oils, bee venom, etc) getting into the bloodstream and creating antibodies for that specific antigen-- which then bind to other cells, which release histamine (makes you itchy and red!) or other symptom-inducing chemicals the next time you come in contact with that antigen. Also, a medication is not always a suppressor-- sometimes it stimulates organs to function correctly.

Acne is a hormonal symptom of the Mirena IUD that is not caused by an allergic reaction. It throws off your hormone balances and, in turn, you end up with (probably) too many androgens (male hormones--specifically DHT). This hormone causes you to create more sebum (oil in your pores), and therefore, allows your pores to become clogged, which gives you acne.

Anyway, when I had the Mirena, my acne got pretty severe in the 3 years that I had it. Cysts all along the jawline and traveling down my neck. Cheek acne at its worst. It was terrible. I got it taken out 6 1/2 months ago and started Beyaz (same as Yaz, but with folic acid) about 5 1/2 months ago. Since I was seeing improvement with Beyaz, I figured my acne must be due to an excess amount of DHT. My acne wasn't entirely gone, so I asked my dermatologist and started 25mg Spironolactone (an anti-androgen medication) about 1 1/2 months ago. Everything has been improving since. :D

I am sitting here acne free after a 26 year long battle because I found the single allergen that caused it and removed it from my body.

You say false because you have no idea what is causing yours and have no understanding of how your immune system works.

I came back here to help people eliminate acne because I know how devastating acne is. I can help anyone eliminate acne once and for all. It's not what you put into your body, it's what you stop putting into your body. In other words, turning of the Gene.

DNA - Allergen - Gene - Immune System... It's that simple.

Ps... with that connection I made, I have also reversed many chronic diseases, not just acne and rosacea.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 01/01/2014 10:55 am

This is entirely false, sorry. All side effects are not necessarily allergic reactions. Allergic reactions are caused by antigens (such as pollen, poison ivy oils, bee venom, etc) getting into the bloodstream and creating antibodies for that specific antigen-- which then bind to other cells, which release histamine (makes you itchy and red!) or other symptom-inducing chemicals the next time you come in contact with that antigen. Also, a medication is not always a suppressor-- sometimes it stimulates organs to function correctly.

Acne is a hormonal symptom of the Mirena IUD that is not caused by an allergic reaction. It throws off your hormone balances and, in turn, you end up with (probably) too many androgens (male hormones--specifically DHT). This hormone causes you to create more sebum (oil in your pores), and therefore, allows your pores to become clogged, which gives you acne.

Anyway, when I had the Mirena, my acne got pretty severe in the 3 years that I had it. Cysts all along the jawline and traveling down my neck. Cheek acne at its worst. It was terrible. I got it taken out 6 1/2 months ago and started Beyaz (same as Yaz, but with folic acid) about 5 1/2 months ago. Since I was seeing improvement with Beyaz, I figured my acne must be due to an excess amount of DHT. My acne wasn't entirely gone, so I asked my dermatologist and started 25mg Spironolactone (an anti-androgen medication) about 1 1/2 months ago. Everything has been improving since. biggrin.png

I am sitting here acne free after a 26 year long battle because I found the single allergen that caused it and removed it from my body.

You say false because you have no idea what is causing yours and have no understanding of how your immune system works.

I came back here to help people eliminate acne because I know how devastating acne is. I can help anyone eliminate acne once and for all. It's not what you put into your body, it's what you stop putting into your body. In other words, turning of the Gene.

DNA - Allergen - Gene - Immune System... It's that simple.

Ps... with that connection I made, I have also reversed many chronic diseases, not just acne and rosacea.

I didn't say that YOUR acne wasn't caused by a certain allergen-- it certainly could have been. But, you claimed that ALL side effects to medications are essentially an allergic reaction, which isn't true. I went back and edited my post to be more specfic.

Also, you're talking about "turning of your gene"? You aren't altering your DNA, so I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Unless you mean turning OFF your gene. Just because you're not eating a certain product doesn't mean that your gene is turned off. It could just mean that that certain protein has nothing to bind to-- proteins are quite nonspecific, though, in the inflammatory response. Could you elaborate on your model?

DNA - Allergen - Gene - Immune system ....

It's not that simple. The immune response is much more complicated than this.

I think it's great that you've found something that helps you. Your acne and rosacea may have been caused by an allergic reaction and it's good to spread your knowledge. I, too, have found what cures my acne-- and it happened to be excess androgens.

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 01/01/2014 12:00 pm

What is a "Side Affect" ? You would not have a side affect if you were not allergic to the medication. Therefore a medication that causes you a Side Affect is an allergic reaction. It's really that simple.

Side Affects and Allergic Reaction are the same as is Food Allergy and Sensitivity because they both involve the Immune System. The only difference between Food allergy and Sensitivity is the mechanism in which the Immune System responses. An example of that is IgE , IgG, IgA, and IgM. Which are all Immune Responses.

You can't change your DNA. That is what decides what you're allergic to. Which Gene is affected determines what disease/diseases you get when you ingest that specific allergen. The Gene is what determines immune response and the level of response. It ranges from a simple rash (ex: acne) to a extreme reaction (ex: cancer or anaphylaxis).

All this information is out there, you just have to know what you're looking for and how to understand it. I also work in a lab so it's really simple for me.

ps... I didn't have rosacea. A few of my clients did. As well as some with acne.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 01/01/2014 1:13 pm

So, you're saying that, for example, taking hypothyroidism medication for the wanted effect (increased thyroid hormone) and then losing weight as a SIDE EFFECT....is an allergic reaction?

What you're saying is very simplified and actually very incorrect. Much of it is vague.

An allergic reaction is an over-reaction of your immune response to something that is normally harmless.

An inflammatory response usually comes hand-in-hand with an allergic reaction, but to have an inflammatory response, you do not NEED to be having an allergic reaction.

IgE is usually associated with allergic reactions which cause symptoms such as wheezing, uncontrolled swelling, runny nose, watery eyes, and itchy skin. You're right, immunoglobulins are part of the immune response (once again, not necessarily during an allergic reaction).

The inflammatory response (getting a zit because of bacteria), does involve the immune system, but that doesn't make it an allergic reaction.

I understand that there is a lot of information out there... I learned much of this in college and also taught High School AP Biology. I think you need to just clarify the differences between allergic reaction, side effects, and inflammatory responses. You seem to be interested and fairly knowledgeable-- just need to get a couple key facts straight.

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 01/01/2014 5:20 pm

So, you're saying that, for example, taking hypothyroidism medication for the wanted effect (increased thyroid hormone) and then losing weight as a SIDE EFFECT....is an allergic reaction?

What you're saying is very simplified and actually very incorrect. Much of it is vague.

An allergic reaction is an over-reaction of your immune response to something that is normally harmless.

An inflammatory response usually comes hand-in-hand with an allergic reaction, but to have an inflammatory response, you do not NEED to be having an allergic reaction.

IgE is usually associated with allergic reactions which cause symptoms such as wheezing, uncontrolled swelling, runny nose, watery eyes, and itchy skin. You're right, immunoglobulins are part of the immune response (once again, not necessarily during an allergic reaction).

The inflammatory response (getting a zit because of bacteria), does involve the immune system, but that doesn't make it an allergic reaction.

I understand that there is a lot of information out there... I learned much of this in college and also taught High School AP Biology. I think you need to just clarify the differences between allergic reaction, side effects, and inflammatory responses. You seem to be interested and fairly knowledgeable-- just need to get a couple key facts straight.

I tried to make it easy so anyone could understand it. I could get technical but you are not understanding the simple version. You can talk all you want about your education, I'm reversing chronic diseases that 99% of doctors don't even know can be. And that's with medical school.

You are stuck thinking IgE is the only response mechanism your immune system has to a specific allergen. That is also what 99% of doctors think too. That is so wrong. You also think every allergic reaction has to be viewed as being negative, which is also wrong. Inflammation is a allergic reaction (think bee sting). It's also the reason for type 2 diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an Autoimmune Disease. LAD Diabetes is the stage in between type 1 and type 2 where inflammation turns into Autoimmune.

I know what causes weight gain. I know how exercise allows you to lose weight but I don't understand how an allergic reaction can cause weight loss. I'm baffled by that one.

Point is, if you were not allergic to a medication then that medication would not work. If that wasn't the case then we would just drink water to cure everything. I know it's hard to comprehend but it is what it is. That and right now I'm the only one outside of a research lab saying this. I am, however, using this "theory" in practice with unbelievable success supported by actual blood tests ordered by doctors. Even though they didn't know these tests exist or even know how to read them.

You're right, I sound crazy but just keep going about your life believing what the medical field says now is written in stone and doctors get their 25 hours of mandatory Nutrition Course. Even though only 37% of the 116 med schools comply with it.

AND Celiac Disease is a European disease (lol as if the majority of people in this country's ancestors were not from Europe). There is nothing more I can really say about this. I know what I know and it works on everyone of my clients.