Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightsdisguise

Should I take Accutane?

I've had acne since I was in 8th grade or so. It had it's good days and bad days. Now that I am 23 I have been treated through antibiotics, prescribed topical gels-creams-pads, shower with hibiclens, proactiv, clearasil-clean and clear, BP, and I think thats about it. I will start my story from middle school even though that was awhile back. I remember in my pictures taken for the yearbooks I noticed mild acne in 8th grade. I was like most middle schoolers, you go to the store and you buy whatever is on the shelf. You put hope into whatever your putting on your face. I'm pretty sure that's when I started using clearasil face wash and BP ointment. I don't remember exactly what the results were if any. Through high school I was still dealing with acne. It was consistent. I would treat it through the same store products. I remember trying clean and clear face wash with 10% BP, boy that was a mistake. Anyways my acne was never severe, but it was noticable and a pain in the butt. Once I graduated from high school I started working out at a gym and I remember getting huge pus-filled pimples on my butt. I let it go for about two years until it started getting more serious where they would pop and leave blood on my pants. I'm sorry for being gross. I had no clue what they were and when your that age its kind of embarrasing for your mom to see your butt. Thats how I felt at the time. After awhile I finally went to see my doctor about the problem. I got them in my pubic region also. It was a horror story! The doctor saw me and prescribed me bactrim and recommended I see a dermatologist. I took the antibiotic and things cleared up. Well that is until I got off of them and I got white-heads more or less all over my face. And let me tell you they were itchy as can be. It was a horrible experience for me. I went to the dermatologist, afterall the doc recommended I do. He sees my horrid face and takes a culture of my nose and a lesion. That was not fun to say the least. He had to stick me with a needle and stick a cotton swap to get the good stuff. The part he cultered was on my face, it hurt so bad. Ok so the dirty stuff is over the doc again gives me bactrim I believe, along with topical gel bactroban, clindamycin pads, and hibiclens. I was to use the bactroban on lesions twice a day and one week out of the month put it up my nose and in my belly button. Clindamycin pads were to be used at night on my face and back. And I showered with hibiclens. After awhile I'm sure I got tired of this and slowly stopped doing some of the stuff. I got a call from the doctor telling me it's folliculitis and its not MRSA. Well that's great thing. So after awhile I think I was put on bactrim one more time for a reoccurence of this crap. Meanwhile I still believe I have acne and along with that some kind of foliculitus whether it is bacterial or fungal. I'm not sure :( About 4 months ago I got a huge red mark next to my left nipple. The size of a quater and it also had a lump under the skin. Oh great just when I thought this was done. I was wrong. So instead of going to the dermatologist which I felt he was just going to give me the same old crap to deal with this. I went back to the doctor. I was not put on 500mg of Keflex and after that I was put on a 3 month cycle of Minocycline 50mg. Everything was pretty clear while I was on them. I would still get the occasional white head deal on my face. After I finished my cycle about 2 weeks ago, I now have a pretty bad breakout on my back. It's pretty red and some of them are white-heads. I have an appointment with the doctor today to find out what he thinks. He said in the meeting before if this doesn't work we will try accutane. I'm a little weary of the drug, because its a serious mama. I'm not sure if my acne is bad enough. I'm not sure if what I am calling acne is really foliculitis. My appointment is at 3 o'clock and I'm in debate of what I should do... Any and all feedback is welcome. Thanks!!! Sorry this post is kind of lengthy!

So what did you end up deciding? I waited over a year before actually deciding to go on it and I wish I had started it earlier because I would have been that much closer to good skin! Good luck!

So what did you end up deciding? I waited over a year before actually deciding to go on it and I wish I had started it earlier because I would have been that much closer to good skin! Good luck!

Thanks! Well after the doctor visit I was put on antibiotics again, so no accutane! Although everything is cleared up and I'm using the regimen as of now and so far so good. I think both the antibiotic and benzoyl peroxide are making my face look the best it has in years. I can't remember the last time my face looked this good. I get a small whitehead every now and again and it vanishes the next day. Accutane may be an option in the future if things flare up again, but right now just enjoying a clear face and being positive! Have a wonderful christmas!