Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chrissmom

Jojoba Oil.......doesn't seem to be working for me!

Am I the only one that Jojoba Oil doesn't seem to be working for? I've been using it since the beginning of the year in the AM and PM and it still hasn't regulated or helped my oil at all.

It doesn't work for everyone.. You may want to only use it at night and apply a thin layer. How much are you using? A little goes a long way. I use 2-3 drops at most on my entire face at night and it definitely helps balance dryness and oilyness and gives me a nice inbetween for most of the next day. Some people just don't have good results with it but you may wanna try just using very small amounts and only at night before bed.

It doesn't work for everyone.. You may want to only use it at night and apply a thin layer. How much are you using? A little goes a long way. I use 2-3 drops at most on my entire face at night and it definitely helps balance dryness and oilyness and gives me a nice inbetween for most of the next day. Some people just don't have good results with it but you may wanna try just using very small amounts and only at night before bed.

Thanks, Beck444! My Jojoba comes in a pump bottle so I am using a full pump AM and PM. Am I overusing it?

When you say you use 2-3 drops at night, are you using it with your cleanser or all over your face?

Maybe I'm using too much.

bumping!

I use the Desert Essence brand and the drops are pretty small. I'm not sure how much a pump would be considered with the kind you use but if it's any more than a dime sized amount(should be even less in my experience), you may wanna lower the dose and split it in half or something. A very thin layer of this stuff works best since you want it to all absorb and none to retain on top, especially if it's during the day. Using it AM and PM isn't necessarily bad but it can make you shiny during the day so maybe use an even smaller amount.

As long as it's not breaking you out you should keep trying to use varying amounts and see what works best. If it's still not working then maybe your skin just doesn't like it.

I use it in combination with CeraVe moisturizer so it spreads a little easier and smoother. I found at first I was using too much and it'd make me oily but when I only used a few drops it started to really work. It's one of the best overnight products to put on the face in my opinion.

Hope that helps, good luck!

I use the Desert Essence brand and the drops are pretty small. I'm not sure how much a pump would be considered with the kind you use but if it's any more than a dime sized amount(should be even less in my experience), you may wanna lower the dose and split it in half or something. A very thin layer of this stuff works best since you want it to all absorb and none to retain on top, especially if it's during the day. Using it AM and PM isn't necessarily bad but it can make you shiny during the day so maybe use an even smaller amount.

As long as it's not breaking you out you should keep trying to use varying amounts and see what works best. If it's still not working then maybe your skin just doesn't like it.

I use it in combination with CeraVe moisturizer so it spreads a little easier and smoother. I found at first I was using too much and it'd make me oily but when I only used a few drops it started to really work. It's one of the best overnight products to put on the face in my opinion.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Thanks, Beck! I'll back off to only a few drops, maybe that'll help! It's just frustrating when I see that people have used it for two weeks and they're not oily any more!

Am I the only one that Jojoba Oil doesn't seem to be working for? I've been using it since the beginning of the year in the AM and PM and it still hasn't regulated or helped my oil at all.

You're just fooling yourself if you really think that applying a natural oil like jojoba to your face is going to keep it from producing as much of its own sebum. It doesn't work that way. There's no valid scientific rationale for believing such a thing.

You're just fooling yourself if you really think that applying a natural oil like jojoba to your face is going to keep it from producing as much of its own sebum. It doesn't work that way. There's no valid scientific rationale for believing such a thing.

Geez, who peed in your Cheerios.

I'm peeing in YOUR Cheerios. I suggest you listen to what I'm telling you.

I'm peeing in YOUR Cheerios. I suggest you listen to what I'm telling you.

Excuse me, Rude Person, but I really do not appreciate you jumping all over me on my first post here. It was rude and inappropriate. Next time, keep your opinion to yourself or at least TRY to be kind.

Excuse me, Rude Person, but I really do not appreciate you jumping all over me on my first post here. It was rude and inappropriate. Next time, keep your opinion to yourself or at least TRY to be kind.

Please re-write my post to you in a way that you would consider NOT to be "rude and inappropriate". Post it here so that I can read it, and see what it is I said that was supposedly "rude and inappropriate". This is a serious request.

Please re-write my post to you in a way that you would consider NOT to be "rude and inappropriate". Post it here so that I can read it, and see what it is I said that was supposedly "rude and inappropriate". This is a serious request.

Jojoba oil is serious? I don't care who you are and what your opinion is, but I don't like you already and I'm certainly not going to follow any of your advice.

No matter what Bryan says, my experience tells me different. My face would get really shiny and oily every day. I would dab it with a paper towel to remove the oil and I could see by looking at the paper towel how much oil was on my face (and this has been for years and years). I started using Dan's moisturizer which has 10% jojoba oil in it about 6 months ago. At first my face was still shiny but after about a week and a half it was not so oily any more. I've gone from having to dab my face 4 or more times a day to once and even then there is hardly any oil on the paper towel and my skin is soft and glowing. And I'm not taking any accutaine or contraceptives which could dry my skin.

Thank you very much, Chandni!

No scientific evidence you say, Bryan? Have you read all the posts and testimonials on Jojoba on this forum? Obviously not!

Glad it's working for you, Chandni! I'm going to keep using it despite what the Bryan guy says.

Yeah, it really helps balance out my oil production in my opinion. I don't feel greasy and oily at all. You just should use 5-6 drops, and you will be good.

Jojoba oil is serious? I don't care who you are and what your opinion is, but I don't like you already and I'm certainly not going to follow any of your advice.

Does this mean you're not going to answer my request? :)

Okay, sweetheart, you just keep using that jojoba oil on your face, and keep wondering why it's not "working" for you. I explained it to you, but you won't listen.

Does this mean you're not going to answer my request? :)

Okay, sweetheart, you just keep using that jojoba oil on your face, and keep wondering why it's not "working" for you. I explained it to you, but you won't listen.

Bryan, you actually didn't "explain" anything at all. You only made a statement ("it doesn't work that way,") and then didn't back it up. Is that your idea of an explanation? As a new member myself, I come to this website to read the forums and post my own questions and suggestions because I am learning and adapting. Getting "explanations" such as yours are unhelpful and, as Chrissmom said, rude.

Thank you very much, Krista! I wasn't going to spend any more of my precious time on Bryan. But I couldn't have said it better than you.

Thank you!

The only conceivable way that jojoba oil could affect sebum production is if it contains some as-yet unknown substance or substances which interfere with sebaceous gland metabolism. Something like a natural estrogen or antiandrogen, for example, or some other chemical or hormone which interferes with sebum production. Unless somebody can find something like that in jojoba oil, there's no serious rationale for believing that it would lower sebum production. I have no particular confidence in anecdotes from people who have tried smearing it on their skin, and claim to see less sebum production.

The only conceivable way that jojoba oil could affect sebum production is if it contains some as-yet unknown substance or substances which interfere with sebaceous gland metabolism. Something like a natural estrogen or antiandrogen, for example, or some other chemical or hormone which interferes with sebum production. Unless somebody can find something like that in jojoba oil, there's no serious rationale for believing that it would lower sebum production. I have no particular confidence in anecdotes from people who have tried smearing it on their skin, and claim to see less sebum production.

Meh. It may not chemically reduce sebum production but it can help the APPEARANCE of oilyness/shinyness. That's the key point I think you look over every single time I've seen you post on this subject. When dry/combination skin is properly moisturized the appearance of the skin looks more balanced. Continuous, healthy moisturizers can help these 2 skin conditions, and for some jojoba oil does this well. Who cares if it doesn't reduce sebum production, it can help the appearance of shine and give the skin that balanced look, for some people.

I'm not sure why you need to try to dispel people's success with certain products. If it's not damaging/irritating their skin or breaking them out then it shouldn't matter. It's never done either to me and on top of that has healing properties for redmarks/flaky skin. And like all other products, jojoba oil doesn't work for everyone but there has been an overwhelming amount of success stories with it as well.

Meh. It may not chemically reduce sebum production but it can help the APPEARANCE of oilyness/shinyness. That's the key point I think you look over every single time I've seen you post on this subject.

You think rubbing OIL on your face reduces the appearance of oil? Are you serious, or is that just a joke? :)

BTW, for your information, I've very rarely ever even mentioned jojoba oil. I don't even remember previous occasions when I _may_ have mentioned it.

When dry/combination skin is properly moisturized the appearance of the skin looks more balanced. Continuous, healthy moisturizers can help these 2 skin conditions, and for some jojoba oil does this well. Who cares if it doesn't reduce sebum production, it can help the appearance of shine and give the skin that balanced look, for some people.

I'm suspicious even about the accuracy of THAT claim, but even if it really is true, people should be careful to state the facts: to the best of my knowledge, jojoba oil doesn't reduce sebum production, and there's no real rationale for expecting it to do that. People shouldn't make such fanciful assumptions without some measure of scientific backing.

I'm not sure why you need to try to dispel people's success with certain products. If it's not damaging/irritating their skin or breaking them out then it shouldn't matter.

Yeah, I'm funny that way: I'm a stickler for scientific accuracy. Sorry about that.

You think rubbing OIL on your face reduces the appearance of oil? Are you serious, or is that just a joke? :)

BTW, for your information, I've very rarely ever even mentioned jojoba oil. I don't even remember previous occasions when I _may_ have mentioned it.

Why exactly does it work for some people then? You've never given any evidence of anything.

Having dry or combination skin(which means it's oily too, if you didn't know) properly moisturized will guess what? Balance moisture and improve appearance. Hard concept?

I'm suspicious even about the accuracy of THAT claim, but even if it really is true, people should be careful to state the facts: to the best of my knowledge, jojoba oil doesn't reduce sebum production, and there's no real rationale for expecting it to do that. People shouldn't make such fanciful assumptions without some measure of scientific backing.

I'm not claiming it does reduce sebum production, some people do. However you've never given any evidence that it doesn't. What it does do for many? Improve the skins appearance and tone whilst moisturizing it properly. It's a great skincare product that's been used for a very long time. To say it has no benefits at all and disregard people's success with it is far dumber than claiming it reduces/balances sebum content.

Yeah, I'm funny that way: I'm a stickler for scientific accuracy. Sorry about that.

The oddest thing about all the posts I've read from you is that you claim scientific accuracy or proof but you NEVER provide anything. You haven't brought up any type of science to your claims and neither have I but the difference is I'm just giving my input and my personal experience on it. That's what these boards are for, not your flimsy theories. What do you provide here? Nothing really.

Have fun continuing to spread your very loosely based knowledge around the boards.

Why exactly does it work for some people then? You've never given any evidence of anything.

Meaning WHAT, exactly? In what specific way do you think it "works" for people? And why didn't you answer my question about whether or not you think rubbing oil on your face reduces the appearance of oil? :)

I'm not claiming it does reduce sebum production, some people do. However you've never given any evidence that it doesn't. What it does do for many? Improve the skins appearance and tone whilst moisturizing it properly. It's a great skincare product that's been used for a very long time. To say it has no benefits at all and disregard people's success with it is far dumber than claiming it reduces/balances sebum content.

I didn't say that it has no benefits at all. I said it doesn't reduce sebum production.

The oddest thing about all the posts I've read from you is that you claim scientific accuracy or proof but you NEVER provide anything. You haven't brought up any type of science to your claims and neither have I but the difference is I'm just giving my input and my personal experience on it. That's what these boards are for, not your flimsy theories. What do you provide here? Nothing really.

I haven't brought up any science? :lol::D You need to read all my posts in which I've cited the medical literature!

Hey, it works for me. I use jojoba oil every morning and every night and my skin feels less oily throughout the day. I don't know how to explain it and I don't really care as long as it works.

Just because it doesn't physically and actually reduce sebum production doesn't mean that it can't help with the appearance of oil.

I mean, really, if you don't see it, feel it, and your skin's not breaking out then who cares if there's still technically oil on your face?

I don't think anyone on this board is expecting any miracles from this product or any other.

Whether or not you feel like it helps with oily skin, jojoba oil is still a good, safe, often organic, naturally hypoallergenic moisturizer which doesn't clog the pores, has anti-fungal properties (certain skin conditions mistaken for acne are caused by fungus), and can help reduce the appearance of red marks.

Different things work differently for different people, especially when it comes to acne.

If someone says something works for them, then don't tell them that they're wrong.

If someone says something that you feel is scientifically inaccurate, it is possible to correct them in a way that doesn't make you sound like the biggest douche in the universe.

Meaning WHAT, exactly? In what specific way do you think it "works" for people? And why didn't you answer my question about whether or not you think rubbing oil on your face reduces the appearance of oil? :)

Meaning that it gives people a balanced look in terms of moisture and oil and also has healing properties. I know people who use it and it's done that and it does that for me as well. I actually observe experiences and base some of my knowledge from experience, you seem to base it on nothing. As for rubbing oil on the face, guess what? It absorbs. Jojoba actually absorbs very nicely, especially overnight. The key is to only apply a very thin layer. Not to mention, generally people use a cleanser or wash with water before using it, so you would be putting it on freshly cleansed skin.

Does it literally regulate sebum production? I don't know. Some claim it does because it "mimics" sebum since the jojoba seed oil is nearly identical to human sebum. I don't know if that's actually how it works(and neither do you) but some people claim that. Either way, it works for many people and I'm not sure why you need to criticize that.

I didn't say that it has no benefits at all. I said it doesn't reduce sebum production.

Yeah but you seem to not believe people who have had results with it, for whatever reason.

I haven't brought up any science? :lol::D You need to read all my posts in which I've cited the medical literature!

Can I see some of this medical literature? You haven't touched on any science in this post at all but you keep saying you have. Can I see it?

Meaning that it gives people a balanced look in terms of moisture and oil and also has healing properties.

A "balanced" look in terms of moisture and oil, eh? Whatever THAT means! :)

I know people who use it and it's done that and it does that for me as well. I actually observe experiences and base some of my knowledge from experience, you seem to base it on nothing.

I base it on both published scientific information AND personal experience.

Does it literally regulate sebum production? I don't know. Some claim it does because it "mimics" sebum since the jojoba seed oil is nearly identical to human sebum. I don't know if that's actually how it works(and neither do you) but some people claim that.

Yes, and that theory is preposterous. It was refuted 50 years ago.

Can I see some of this medical literature? You haven't touched on any science in this post at all but you keep saying you have. Can I see it?

No, I haven't cited any specific medical studies in THIS thread, but I've certainly done that in previous threads. Here's a list of some of the most important threads I've started, and I strongly suggest that you read them. Several of them have a direct bearing on the argument above about how jojoba oil supposedly reduces sebum production by "mimicking" human sebum. You can find these threads with the Search function:

"The myth of skin washing and sebum production". Acne Research forum. Washing doesn't affect sebum production. Medical references are included.

"Still more evidence against the 'feedback theory' ". Acne Research forum. The title is self-explanatory: even MORE evidence (medical references) against the old-fashioned idea that washing your skin causes it to produce more oil and sebum.

"FINALLY: a more direct test of the 'feedback theory' ". Acne Research forum. I describe in detail the test that I did on MYSELF, showing that severe washing doesn't affect sebum production. I even provide scans of the actual Sebutape test-strips that I used! (This is a perfect example of the "personal experience" to which I referred above.)

"If you stop washing, do you get MORE oily, or do you get LESS oily??" Acne Research forum. I provide scans of the actual Sebutape test-strips that I used in a test to prove that you slowly get MORE OILY, if you stop washing your face. (And more personal experience.)

"Does sebum help 'moisturize' the skin??" General acne products and oily skin issues forum. I provide citations to the medical literature showing that sebum doesn't play any significant role in moisturizing the skin.