Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trying a new approach to the fight against acne. And saw palmetto seems like an interesting method. Does anyone have any experience with this herb? I'm in need of a second opinion. My quest to find a cure for my severe acne is up and running. I just need some feedback. It would be deeply appreciated :dance:

I've read a few things about it that seemed promising. I actually read a post recently about someone it worked for. I just ordered a bottle so I can give it a shot. Good luck!

The first thing that ever helped was when I took Zinc, C and Saw Palmetto. And I should add that for most of that time, I took it in the form of a B-complex with zinc and C. My skin got a lot less oily and I rarely had any inflamed acne on my face. But I don't believe it was the saw palmetto that provided the most benefit. My skin cleared completely within a couple of months when I improved my diet.

However, I still had hirsutism which is another hormone symptom and it has improved dramatically recently since I started drinking mint tea. There was a lot of discussion on it a few months ago with studies showing its benefit.

If you are just getting started, I'd suggest trying zinc and fish oil and cutting back on sugars and processed foods and drinks and anything you have trouble digesting. If you want more, try a B-complex or a good multi with plenty of B-vitamins plus anything that helps with blood sugar and strengthens the liver and adrenals. And C which should be taken throughout the day.

I've taken Saw Palmetto for years and it has done nothing to help my acne. It has been shown to slightly reduce the 5ar enzyme, thus reducing dht. I'm not sure what effect this would have for women, as they have little testosterone and dht to begin with.

I have just started taking saw palmetto in the past 2 days and my skin is not angry anymore. The pimples are subsiding and the red spots are going down. I found out about it from a girl who posted on here so thought i would try it. I think it's working. I am also doing the turmeric masks and drinking it too - started that yesterday. I'm sure that's helping too.

I have just started taking saw palmetto in the past 2 days and my skin is not angry anymore. The pimples are subsiding and the red spots are going down. I found out about it from a girl who posted on here so thought i would try it. I think it's working. I am also doing the turmeric masks and drinking it too - started that yesterday. I'm sure that's helping too.

It's the tumeric masks, not the saw palmetto.

Saw Palmetto isn't going to reduce inflammation and it isn't going to work fast. Tumeric, however, is highly anti-inflammatory. What Saw Palmetto might do is reduce the formation of DHT which means you will have less stimulating oil glands making your skin less oily. And it will take time.

Trying a new approach to the fight against acne. And saw palmetto seems like an interesting method. Does anyone have any experience with this herb? I'm in need of a second opinion. My quest to find a cure for my severe acne is up and running. I just need some feedback. It would be deeply appreciated :dance:

Its useful in hormonal balance, saw palmetto prevents androgens like testosterone from turning into DHT (DHT causes balding in men). Palmetto overall lowers androgen hormon level which in excess are the primary hormones that lead to acne. the herb is best taken with food containing fat (its fat soluble).

yea i'm taking 450 mg since just this week 4 oily skin, will c what happens.

let me know if it works for you.

Saw Palmetto isn't going to reduce inflammation and it isn't going to work fast. Tumeric, however, is highly anti-inflammatory. What Saw Palmetto might do is reduce the formation of DHT which means you will have less stimulating oil glands making your skin less oily. And it will take time.

Ok thanks for that - you know what it's like, you will try anything and everything!! I suppose it is trial and error, what works for one may or may not work for another. I have always felt instictively that part of my problem is to do with the 'male' hormones' so that's why i decided to try Saw Palmetto. Especially as the girl who posted on here sounded like her acne problem was similar to mine. I will see how i get on over a longer period of time!!

womdering if there are any updates from people on saw palmetto? was thinking of trying it and what it would do to me. sounds like people take it with 50 mg of zinc.

So , I should buy Fish oil , Multi-Vitamin ( food based one riight? ) - I saw potato in ingredient ... and tomatoes.. that is ok? , Zinc -50mg- , and MSM?.

what else?

because I am thinking of adding more carbs into my diet..

I want to add organic brown eggs , fruits , nuts , brown rice , Beans , Lentils , red meat ( steak ) , and oatmeal

more vegetable.. leafy green ( smoothie ) maybe cottage cheese if is healthy.

I want to get bigger. :P

So , I need supplement to help me prevent break out.

I am 90% clear. Got 1 acne in my forehead.! >_<

Oh and going to stop using proactiv. I feel that proactiv is helping me.

I want to stop using it and let it heal itself.

will only use Moisturizer.

I doubt Saw Palmetto does anything to help acne. Like I said, I've been taking it for years to help with my prostate, but it has done nothing to improve acne.

Alternativista, how long did it take for you to see results from saw palmetto and why do you say the results are not immediate?