Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kIwIwoOd93

information about genetic acne.

So my mom had acne, therefore i have acne. and i've tried and tried and failed to get rid of it. I still have it but I've researched and found alot of facts about genetic acne and it has been improving dramatically since:)

Most of us are very frusterated with this "curse" our parents have put upon us. I've learned that acne appears ONLY when that specific gene for acne is triggered.

For example: Lets say there are two people that both have the gene that addicts them to alcohol. One person goes and gets a six pack one night and drinks it all. That gene for alcoholism is triggered and that person becoms an alcoholic (if he/she isn't able to control it). While the other person, who has the same exact gene never takes a sip of alcohol there entire life. Even though they had the gene for alcoholism, since it was never triggered, it didn't matter.

It is the same concept with acne. My mom passed down the gene to me and over the long years of enduring it, I finally found the trigger. It was sugar! After hearing for months that food had no effect on acne, it had been the exact thing that caused it!

So I've been steering clear of junk food, sugar, and sweets and have been replacing them for fruits and other foods and am absolutly FLOORED with the results. Food does have ALOT to do with acne...don't be decived. And eating healthy is good for your entire body anyway!

Sorry this was long hope it helped?

Today i went to my dermatologist, i talked with him about some stuff that goes around here, like your story, and some of the things appear to be true.

He confirmed some people can get some reactions to specific foods they eat causing pimples, and that the myth of "eating chocolate (or like you, alcohol) and next day having a pimple" is true.

Another thing was stress causing acne in some people. He explained how when we have an acute stress, our body produces adrenaline, but if its chronic, it produces cortisol. When people receive medicaments with cortisol, they can get high blood pressure, diabetes, hair loss, and acne.

When i asked him about why some people are affected by acne and other nots, he explained it was genetics, some people get a more resistant skin (less dry), others tolerate more stress, etc. So while stupidity like liver flushes, colon cleanses and fasts are completely bullshit, diet and stress are really connected to some types of acne.

At least the confirmation by someone with the required qualifications.

Nice.

Congrats for you btw :)

Thanks! I can add that to my list of "legitimate" list of information instead of my bull crap list haha. i see you've done your research:) Oh! and i really don't have a problem with alcoholism....if that confuses anyone....

diet and stress are really connected to some types of acne.

Duh, obviously...

At least the confirmation by

someone with the required qualifications.

A PhD in health is unqualified? (Person I am talking about confirmed this 4 years ago.)

Or common experience? Google search atkins acne if you don't believe it is a common experience.

And what happened here? I thought smart doctors did not say acne and diet are connected? :question:

Yes you can find a doctor that feels the opposite, but not a smart doctor :D

i wouldnt be so quick to solidify the genetic thing yet, its very likely to be the case, but there are so many variables and you havent exactly looked at your genesyet so logically you can not conclude absolute truth. what im saying is dont stop trying things due to false knowledge.

i wouldnt be so quick to solidify the genetic thing yet, its very likely to be the case, but there are so many variables and you havent exactly looked at your genesyet so logically you can not conclude absolute truth. what im saying is dont stop trying things due to false knowledge.

I think most people are prone to it though, I have read quite a few observations of recent generations of people like the Eskimos or Japanese who eat a much more Western diet than the older generation, have acne at a much more noticeable rate. Also, I have read that some groups of people who lived in the "bush" so to speak have been brought into modern civilization, and ate modern diets, and fairly often developed acne but it cleared when they want back out to the bush and started eating how they typically do.

I think most people are prone to it though, I have read quite a few observations of recent generations of people like the Eskimos or Japanese who eat a much more Western diet than the older generation, have acne at a much more noticeable rate. Also, I have read that some groups of people who lived in the "bush" so to speak have been brought into modern civilization, and ate modern diets, and fairly often developed acne but it cleared when they want back out to the bush and started eating how they typically do.

lots of sugar and lots of fat creates lots of oxidents that mess us the bodys cellular processes.

and yea im not denying a genetic susceptability, im just not in a position to solidify anything as a fact, or come to a conclusion that isnt for certain.

GlassDancem Ah ah, and i'm the one bringing up fights.

Aktins diet is supposed to work for everyone, which still is bullshit.

"I have read quite a few observations of recent generations of people like the Eskimos or Japanese who eat a much more Western diet than the older generation, have acne at a much more noticeable rate."

Ok, it could be the food, but don't forget all the other variables. Food is just one.

Today i went to my dermatologist, i talked with him about some stuff that goes around here, like your story, and some of the things appear to be true.

He confirmed some people can get some reactions to specific foods they eat causing pimples, and that the myth of "eating chocolate (or like you, alcohol) and next day having a pimple" is true.

Well, that's a start. But your derm is still ignorant. It's not just reactions to a specific food. Nutrition is how your body functions. It can't function properly with our diets of crap. Something has to give. With us, it results in acne.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, hormone balance, SHBG levels, Insulin resistance, inflammation, cell function and turnover, sebum quality, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc, etc. And most of those overlap, along with environment and lifestyle habits like stress management, sleep and exercise.

Studies on diet and acne or other hormone issues:

Low GL diet helps acne article in medical journal:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/77676.php

Article on Low GI study

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/86/1/107

Another one referring to the study:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Low...9641420053.html

RMIT study:

http://www.rmit.edu.au/browse/News%20and%2...16ry1r;STATUS=A

Study on Acne-free island population

http://archderm.ama-assn.org/cgi/reprint/138/12/1584.pdf

Study on association b/w acne and prostrate cancer w/diet IGF1 and androgens in conclusion.

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/161/12/1094

Study on diet effecting PMS

http://www.greenjournal.org/cgi/content/full/95/2/245

Well I agree that diet CAN play a role (but is not always the cause) in acne development.

I stopped eating sweets, fried food and basically, I've altered my diet to eat healthier. I drink tons of water and take vitamins and such. I do tae-bo and yoga regularly. I'm even on Birth Control. Guess what? I still have acne and while it's not nearly as bad as it was, it still gets pretty bad sometimes.

Food can trigger breakouts-yes. Specific foods aren't usually the cause of acne, though. If you eat a diet of crap, you're overall health will be affected and it may show through your skin. But having acne doesn't always imply an unhealthy lifestyle either.

Diet is just another factor that may play a role in some people's acne and no role at all in others. I don't feel that it can be dismissed as having no connection at all.

"Well, that's a start. But your derm is still ignorant."

Yes, i suppose you know more. He must have been brainwashed by the media, and all those years of medical training.

"Studies on diet and acne or other hormone issues:"

All those studies are nice, but they prove nothing. All of them acknowledged there were other variables changing, and that the reduction in acne could be attributed to them.

Diet may or may not, affect acne. Some people get affected, others don't, no matter the crap they eat or the stress they get. Others get acne despite the healthiest of the healtiest lifestyles. It's the way it is. Sometimes it's not our fault to have acne. It's a desease and nothing more. End of story.

lots of fat creates lots of oxidents that mess us the bodys cellular processes.

What makes you think that? I've never heard that before... I know higher caloric intake is linked in general to increased oxidants/free-radicals but high fat diets (at least the way I am doing it) seem to have me eating fewer calories without being hungry. I haven't read that fats lead to what you are describing.

Genetics causing acne is an enigma to me, and a view I really don't share with you. Both of my parents had flawless skin their entire lives. My brother is usually clear for the most part too. So why did I get this curse? It may be passed down through allergies to foods, and/or lifestyle growing up, but for me anyway, it obviously wasn't because my parents had it.

Yes, i suppose you know more. He must have been brainwashed by the media, and all those years of medical training.

"Studies on diet and acne or other hormone issues:"

All those studies are nice, but they prove nothing. All of them acknowledged there were other variables changing, and that the reduction in acne could be attributed to them.

He has been brainwashed by a stupid, incredibly flawed study done decades ago in which people who already had acne were fed chocolate and low and behold, they still got acne. In addition to that stupidity, there were no other controls like what else they ate or anything else about their lifestyle.

And yes, those studies are nice. They proved that the diet they suspected would help, did. The only such acknowledgment in the RMIT study is that the study did not determine what about the diet caused the improvement. That would require a more involved study of hormone levels, liver function, inflammation levels, etc. before and after the study which means expensive medical test. In addition, it probably isn't entirely the same for each person. The body is a system. When it doesn't get the nutrients it needs to function in addition to being inundated with crap, something has to give. What that is varies. Some get diabetes, for example.

BTW, it's basically the same type of diet that cleared my skin within 2 months of drinking my last soda. And I made those diet changes after reading post after post (and arguing with those posters) from Atkins dieters saying their skin cleared up.

Not to be mistaken as an endorsement of the Atkins diet since it still allows the dieter to eat a lot of crap.

Sometimes it's not our fault to have acne. It's a desease and nothing more. End of story.

Sometimes, perhaps, but most of the time, it is probably the individual's own doing, unintentionally. There is a reason they call acne a Western disease.

Sometimes it's not our fault to have acne. It's a desease and nothing more. End of story.

Sometimes, perhaps, but most of the time, it is probably the individual's own doing, unintentionally. There is a reason they call acne a Western disease.

I do agree...what are we doing over here that makes this disease so prominent to us? diet, pollution, fast paced stressful living? it's a mystery...

"Genetics causing acne is an enigma to me, and a view I really don't share with you. Both of my parents had flawless skin their entire lives. My brother is usually clear for the most part too. So why did I get this curse? It may be passed down through allergies to foods, and/or lifestyle growing up, but for me anyway, it obviously wasn't because my parents had it."

Many genes don't manifest themselves from parents to children. Some skip generations, most comonly one generation, so you should get your grandparents in account as well. You share "only" half of your genes with your brother (unless you're true twins, in which case you share 100%). So he might have been lucky.