Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ive had acne for 10+ years and im on week 11 of accutane... and my skin is worse than ever!!! but hey... ive gotten really good at covering my acne with makeup! ive attached 2 before and 2 after pics. i have not edited these on my computer at all... i swear. and all 4 pics are REALLY me... taken before makeup... and after. haha lemme know if you want some tips

Adrienne-

Thanks so much for posting this. I am new to the board and going through a current bad spell with my recurring cystic acne. I'm concerned about the upcoming holiday parties and being about to cover it up with some make up that won't break me out.

I'm gonna order this stuff based on what I've read here. My question is, since I'm ordering online I am not sure what color shade to pick.

Based on your pictures we have a similar skin coloring / tone. I am fair skinned on the pale side with blonde hair and green eyes. Just wondering what color shade you use? The online swatches are hard to tell. I'm thinking either Sand, Shell, or Linen?

Also, where do you get a foundation brush? Up til now I've been applying foundation with my fingers but maybe a brush is better.

Lastly, I have searched and search for an oil free concealer (to go on after foundation but before powder) but have never found one. Do you use the Bare Eccentuals foundation as your concealer?

And do you put to concealer on hard to cover spots before or after the powder?

Thanks in advance, I hope I can cover mine up this good!

greeneyes44... i use 02Dusk (cool) and mix it with a little bit of 01Shell. Shell is WAY too light on its own. its almost white. it also depends on whether you have pink(cool), neutral, or golden(warm) undertones. I have cool undertones. It will tell you on the little swatch chart. (C,N,W) If you are unsure, try neurtal and go from there. You can order a founation brush from Este Lauder with the foundation... or try another brand. sephora is a great place to order makeup, but i dont think they sell este lauder! I use Bare Escentuals mineral founation as a concealer even though it is a foundation. If you order something from Sephora right now, you can use a "promo code" and get a free sample of the Bare Escentuals mineral foundation (just search for promo codes on their site). I put the concealer powder on AFTER the mineral veil powder. its the last step I do. it works sooo well covering those hard to hide spots. i hope this helps! let me know if you have any more questions.

I think it also helps that your acne is well, flat, it's impossible to hide bumps : (, for me anyway, the results are amazing tho, good work

Same here! Some people seeing me with a make-up doesnt even notice me having such pimples and scars..The only bad thing is that i know the truth :)

What do you think about Estee Lauder liquid makeup? Will that work just as well?

what do you mean by liquid makeup? ive only used the Double Wear and Double Wear Light (which are both liquid foundations". I would just make sure whatever you choose is oil free. Este Lauder is a great brand so im sure all of their products are great.

Estee Lauder sells double wear in both liquid in powder, and I was just curious what type you used. And yes, you really should be a makeup artist. You did an incredible job. Hopefully it will work for me too.

oh yeah i knew that lol. ive never tried the powder... it looked too thick for me. give it a try if you want! you can always return it. Double Wear is definitely amazing and the best foundation ive ever used! my mom always tells me i should be a makeup artist.... funny thing is im studying to be an engineer! but if that doesnt work out.... makeup artist is always a back up! lol so good luck girls!! haha i had no idea this post would be so popular.

Don't know if you read my post "Is anyone else's skin like this?" but I was wondering if you think I would be able to cover as well being that my healing areas are flakey? In your before picture your skin looks really smooth and kinda oily (no offense). Do you put something on prior to the make-up to moisturize? Whenever I put make-up on it looks super flakey aroung my healing spots and is so noticable that I am covering. Would applying with a brush help? You did an incredible job I would love your input.

I can def relate to this post. I have gotten sooo good at using the right makeup/shade/etc that there are people who would be shocked to know that I have ever suffered from acne. I wish that i didn't have to wear makeup .. and I take good care of my skin in hopes that very soon all the marks will fade and I can wear less and less. But It doesn't bother me, because I know what im doing.. I am not experimenting when I put on makeup.

Girl, I think you do a GREAT job with your makeup. You are also very beautiful, makeup does NOT make you beautiful (like some think).. it only enhances that beauty that you obviously were born with. One thing that bothers me about makeup is that there are other women who don't suffer from acne but aren't very attractive .. and they have this idea that makeup can make someone beautiful.. You can have clear skin, not wear a drop of makeup.. and still be very unattractive. MOST celebrities wear makeup .. and people go crazy over them. clear skin doesn't make you beautiful!! LOL .. WHOOPIE golberg has clear skin .. and she isn't attractive to me..no amount of makeup can make WHOOPIE attractive to me. but Alicia Keyes has acne and she is GORGEOUS to me. anyways, thats all I wanted to say.

your so beautiful to me... thanks for the post!! you have a great outlook on life! and thanks for the compliment. makeup can actually be fun sometimes... but then sometimes its a chore. hahaha and i totally know what you mean about Whoopie Goldberg Vs. Alicia Keys. good point! i didnt know Alicia Keys has acne! its comforting to know that beautiful people (like celebrities) have flaws too.

Don't know if you read my post "Is anyone else's skin like this?" but I was wondering if you think I would be able to cover as well being that my healing areas are flakey? In your before picture your skin looks really smooth and kinda oily (no offense). Do you put something on prior to the make-up to moisturize? Whenever I put make-up on it looks super flakey aroung my healing spots and is so noticable that I am covering. Would applying with a brush help? You did an incredible job I would love your input.

sorry i didnt see your question!! my skin is normally flakey in spots where it is healing, but i just try to get most of the dead skin off in the shower. liquid foundation is probably the best for flakey skin. my skin actually has NO oil in it because of the accutane, so i just use a light moisturizer before i put on my foundation. the lotion hadn't soaked into my skin completely when i took that pic. applying your foundation with a brush might help becuase it gives you a more even coverage. i would definitely use a brush with the Double Wear since it is kind of thick (compared to other foundations). but the best way to get rid of your flakey spots is to gentlyrub the dry skin off in the shower with your fingers. thats how i get my skin to be smooth.

Thanks. It seems like my skin flakes after a shower when it dries. I got the doublewear sample yesterday. The lady in the store did my make-up it looked good but a little streaky so she thined it with a sponge. I got a brush (not the Este Lauder one) and I did my makeup today. I just used the doublewear on my spots though. When I went outside and looked in my car mirror the color didn't match. Yesterday it looked fine but today a little orangy. Weird. Maybe I have to use it on my whole face. I got some mineral powder today so hopefully that will help to blend it. Definetly does cover better than anything yet though. I put a little cortizone creme on my spots before I applied the makeup (heard that can help?) in hopes to moisterize and not have flakes. Haven't noticed any flakiness today, color is just a little off.

suzy_rondelle haha i like wearing a lot of eye makeup. especially when im going out at night. i know i have big blue eyes... so i CAN get away with dark eye liner. plus it distracts from my skin flaws... thats a huge part of it. my skin is slowly getting better so i would LOVE to not wear makeup everyday... trust me! but for now... i like my eye makeup thanks

It looks like you line the inner rim of your eyes, if so, what do you use? I use Smashbox Jetset but it still smears.

suzy_rondelle haha i like wearing a lot of eye makeup. especially when im going out at night. i know i have big blue eyes... so i CAN get away with dark eye liner. plus it distracts from my skin flaws... thats a huge part of it. my skin is slowly getting better so i would LOVE to not wear makeup everyday... trust me! but for now... i like my eye makeup thanks

It looks like you line the inner rim of your eyes, if so, what do you use? I use Smashbox Jetset but it still smears.

yeah i do line the inner rim of my eyes. i use Lancome waterproof eye liner (its one of those twist up ones) its great! it doesnt smear and it stays on really well. i think it costs about $20... but it lasts forever!! i only have to buy one like every 9 months or so

Hey Yo Adrienne! ,

It's about mid afternoon and I took a shower, did my whole regimen and then put on make up, but before I left to the mall I look at my face with a double side mirror ( one side zooms in, other is normal ) with the natural sun light through the window and I could totally see the estee lauder double wear foundation ending on the my jaw line... It looked embarrassing! So I went through a panic and washed it off and now I feel like my face is in a wreck. I reapplied it without the brush and used my fingers to blend it but it doesn't seem to be going well...

Should I go back to just BE mineral make-up ? You couldn't really tell, yet estee lauder covers up the marks better.

I think this happened because I changed to Clinique acne solutions kit with SA and it tightens my skin, and the estee lauder does it took so my skin kind of gets dry ( going by some moisture surge face spray ) to help that, and maybe the foundation will go on better?

How do you apply the estee lauder on ? And do you use it all over your face... lol I'm having a rough time.

It's not the shade, just the blending so it looks natural?

Wow, your makeup looks amazing! And so do you :) You're very pretty!

I just made a thread about my makeup caking/not covering...

I wonder, do you believe it's the Double Wear that's helping you cover the most? Or the application technique (brush)?

oh-so outrageous.... ive used many other foundations and the este lauder definitely covers better and stays on WAY longer. the brush just gives it a smoother coverages and doesnt cake up in spots.

SCaliGirl... im sorry you are having a rough time! any full coverage foundation will look different in sunlight.... it doesnt reflect sunlight like natural skin. since i am indoors all day with artificial light, i never worried about it too much. before accutane, i just used my normal acne creams, and since accutane i juse a light moisturizer. if you use a foundation brush, it will go on smoother than with your fingers. but i dont know of any way to avoid the "natural sun light" delima. maybe try blending it past your jaw line. but ive had that problem with ALLfoundations (all of it looks different in natural sunlight... even BE). if you are indoors most of the time, have a friend give their opinion on if it looks good or not. Thats just a sacrifice i was willing to make since it looked good indoors. if you hate it, just take it back and try something else. Double Wear Light is more of a medium coverage foundation but still has the long lasting effect, so maybe try that? it wasnt my favorite since it is designed for "neutral skin tones" and i have cool skin tones. but message me if you have any other questions or concerns! good luck

Thanks. It seems like my skin flakes after a shower when it dries. I got the doublewear sample yesterday. The lady in the store did my make-up it looked good but a little streaky so she thined it with a sponge. I got a brush (not the Este Lauder one) and I did my makeup today. I just used the doublewear on my spots though. When I went outside and looked in my car mirror the color didn't match. Yesterday it looked fine but today a little orangy. Weird. Maybe I have to use it on my whole face. I got some mineral powder today so hopefully that will help to blend it. Definetly does cover better than anything yet though. I put a little cortizone creme on my spots before I applied the makeup (heard that can help?) in hopes to moisterize and not have flakes. Haven't noticed any flakiness today, color is just a little off.

Hope you don't mind me replying but i think the reason why the colour is a little 'off' is because with foundation you should really do a light, well-blended layer and then another if needed (say if it was a medium coverege) and then use a good concealer on your spots which you can blend. It's not ideal that you use a heavy foundation like this just on your spots because it's not gonna be well blended and the colour's going to be off..You should use a good make up brush to blend out your foundation well because i have this problem too.. I use MAC's Stufio Fix Fluid and i find that if i don't blend it properly it looks a bit orange, but it matches me almost perfectly when i blend it out, so maybe it's the blending.

Hope this helped!

Thank you. No I don't mind you replying at all. I was hoping someone would. lol. The last 2 days I have been using it on my whole face(blending with a brush) with some mineral powder over it. It still looks off to me, in the sunlight especially. Where do you get MAC makeup? I don't think I have ever seen it anywhere. Is it non-comogenic or whatever? I'm desperate to find the right makeup in the right color. I noticed that liquid definately helps with the flakey problem though.

If it still looks off to you then i suggest going for another shade, it probably looked alright when she did it because of the lighting u were under, make up can look different in differnet lights.

I don't know if you can get MAC where you are ( i don't know where you live lol), you might wanna try their website to check that out. Althoughi shoud say that MAC foundations do have a reputation for breaking people out, though i must say they don't seem to affect me in that way.

Why don't you just try getting re-matched? make sure to check it under natural light so that you know it really does match.

Good luck!

someone asked me to post pics of my progress on accutane. the pics i originally posted were from week 9 of my treatment... here are a few pics of week 13. its a huge improvment and i couldnt be happier! thank god i had Este Lauder Double Wear to get me through that horrible breakout or i wouldnt have even left my house! these pics are without makeup by the way

post-86407-1230154340_thumb.jpg

post-86407-1230154344_thumb.jpg

post-86407-1230154340_thumb.jpg

post-86407-1230154344_thumb.jpg