Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jokerj

can anyone point me in the right direction

i've been searching for days for a sucessful teenage spiro story... i don't seem to be getting anywhere. are there none on here? or am i just not searching correctlY?

any help please?

Unfortunately, I know very little about these kinds of treatments, but I know that someone on here will be able to hop in here and help you right quick!

To my knowledge, spiro usually isn't prescribed for teenagers. It's helpful in cases of adult acne that are hormonally based. Derms will likely prescribe topicals for someone your age unless your acne is severe enough to need Accutane.

To my knowledge, spiro usually isn't prescribed for teenagers. It's helpful in cases of adult acne that are hormonally based. Derms will likely prescribe topicals for someone your age unless your acne is severe enough to need Accutane.

well i can't use topicals because the problem is mainly my body acne

topicals worked great for my face though

my pediatrician's teenage daughter uses spiro, i was guessing it would work only because teenage acne is hormonal, is it not?

does anyone know the types of acne?

i don't. i'm guessing hormonal, allergy/sensitivity, or a specific bacteria (not just like p. acnes)

i think the spiro is supposed to help with the free-floating testosterone in my body (which, as a teen, there's bound to be plenty of)

can't use accutane because i have eczema sometimes

It can't hurt to talk to a derm or endo about it. Or even the pediatrician you mentioned, if s/he is comfortable prescribing it. I have just never known a derm to prescribe it to someone under 21.

Good luck - I hope you're able to find something that works for you!

It can't hurt to talk to a derm or endo about it. Or even the pediatrician you mentioned, if s/he is comfortable prescribing it. I have just never known a derm to prescribe it to someone under 21.

Good luck - I hope you're able to find something that works for you!

no i'm already on it lol

it's been a week already

I'm 16 and my derm said if I ever wanted to give it a try I could just call it in. However the side effects scare me! I'm already taking enough meds, but it's good to know I have the option ;)

if you go to the search engin on the website.. the one in the top right corner right underneath dans picture and story and type in Spironolactone it will give you some resources you can look at, but the first one is reviews and that's what i've been reading.. i went to a derm. and he put me on spiro, because i have hormonal acne.. it seems to work with ppl who have hormonal acne but i don't know about ppl who don't have that kind..

I'm 17 and I've been on yasmin before, and supposedly that has 25 mg of spiro in it. When I was on yasmin it drastically reduced my acne and oil production. Unfortunately I had to stop taking yasmin because of other negative side effects. I started taking spiro two months ago (50mg a day) and so far its been helping with acne and has greatly decreased oil. Two months is not that long though, so I'm still expecting more improvement (when I was on yasmin it took six months for it to fully kick in).

I'm 16 and my derm said if I ever wanted to give it a try I could just call it in. However the side effects scare me! I'm already taking enough meds, but it's good to know I have the option ;)

which side effects?

i'm 16 too!

if you go to the search engin on the website.. the one in the top right corner right underneath dans picture and story and type in Spironolactone it will give you some resources you can look at, but the first one is reviews and that's what i've been reading.. i went to a derm. and he put me on spiro, because i have hormonal acne.. it seems to work with ppl who have hormonal acne but i don't know about ppl who don't have that kind..

i tried that. found nothing from anyone under 18. ohhh well

I'm 17 and I've been on yasmin before, and supposedly that has 25 mg of spiro in it. When I was on yasmin it drastically reduced my acne and oil production. Unfortunately I had to stop taking yasmin because of other negative side effects. I started taking spiro two months ago (50mg a day) and so far its been helping with acne and has greatly decreased oil. Two months is not that long though, so I'm still expecting more improvement (when I was on yasmin it took six months for it to fully kick in).

what side effects did you experience? i'm glad you got cleared before, did you clear completely? did you have really oily skin? did you only have acne on your face?

gosh, it's sooo hard to be patient!!! i've only been on for TWO WEEKS!!! bu it seems like forever... and the only thing that's ever given me drastic improvement before is antibiotics, which i'm slowly weaning off of and breaking out again on ym body.. :[

what side effects did you experience? i'm glad you got cleared before, did you clear completely? did you have really oily skin? did you only have acne on your face?

gosh, it's sooo hard to be patient!!! i've only been on for TWO WEEKS!!! bu it seems like forever... and the only thing that's ever given me drastic improvement before is antibiotics, which i'm slowly weaning off of and breaking out again on ym body.. :[

Well, the side effects I experienced from the yasmin was not from the spiro, they were from the progestin in the yasmin. The progestin slowed down my whole body and I became fatigued and extremely constipated to the point where I had to be hospitalized because I completely stopped going to the bathroom.

The only side effects I've ever experienced from the spiro is loss of water weight, use of the bathroom about twice more a day, and occasional light headedness if I don't drink enough water.

My skin used to be so oily that I would apply makeup and an our later it would look like an oily mess. After about six months on yasmin I could go the whole day never touching up my makeup because there wasn't any oil. Also, I was almost completely cleared, I would only get about one pimple at that time of the month. Acne that I had on my chest and back cleared up as well.

Well, the side effects I experienced from the yasmin was not from the spiro, they were from the progestin in the yasmin. The progestin slowed down my whole body and I became fatigued and extremely constipated to the point where I had to be hospitalized because I completely stopped going to the bathroom.

The only side effects I've ever experienced from the spiro is loss of water weight, use of the bathroom about twice more a day, and occasional light headedness if I don't drink enough water.

My skin used to be so oily that I would apply makeup and an our later it would look like an oily mess. After about six months on yasmin I could go the whole day never touching up my makeup because there wasn't any oil. Also, I was almost completely cleared, I would only get about one pimple at that time of the month. Acne that I had on my chest and back cleared up as well.

yayy! hope we both clear up really well!