Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Amanda428

Face Reality Skincare

Hey everyone! I thought I would start a log to document what improvement I may have with Face Reality Skincare in CA. I'm a long distance client, so this should be interesting. However, all my contact with them has been great so far...they're very helpful!

I started my regimen on November 11, 2008. You can see it all below in my signature. Right now I don't have any inflamed acne (although my regimen is geared toward that), so I'm interested to see if/when my uninflamed acne will go away. I have very mild acne (most of the time), but when it goes bad, it goes REALLY bad! :(

I washed my face with the whole regimen for the first time this morning, and I must say that it felt rather good. :) That's about all I can say as of now though - LOL! I'll update more in a couple/few days. :):):)

Good luck Amanda! Definitely keep us posted here on how things go with your Face Reality regimen.

I am going to move your log to the general regimen section. From the regimen you listed, it doesn't look like you are using a retinoid? If they end up putting you on Derm A Gel or Exfol A at some point, then I'll move your log back to the retinoid section.

Ooops! Don't know why I even posted there...I must not have been paying much attention - LOL!

Thanks, I've been using it for 2 1/2 days now and I'm REALLY enjoying the way it feels on my face. I also like the fact that it doesn't smell fruity and all that...it even smells like it's helping!

I got a cyst injected last Friday, so I'm waiting on that to really go away...other than that, I just have a few spots that are being stubborn. But they know they caught me at a good time. If I'm still this clear in another month, it'll be a miracle. :)

Still going good with the Face Reality products! Nothing new has come up (knock on some serious wood!)!

However, I'm still battling a cyst that I had injected 9 days ago. It's definitely 1000 times better...just not flattening out like I expected it would. But all in all, it's nothing that I can't cover up.

I'm still following the same regimen for the next...hmmm...week and a few days. So I'll let you know what's up closer to the end of that period. :)

Much love!

Glad to hear that things are going well so far. Maybe that cyst will need another injection? I know they can take awhile to totally go away sometimes. If it doesn't go away, you might see if your doctor can extract the core of the lesion and then apply the cortisone. Sometimes if you only do the injection, the core of the lesion remains under the skin and can flare up again later.

So, speaking of Face Reality, they had the famous derm Dr. Fulton at their clinic yesterday. I got to watch him do a procedure on a woman who flew up to see him. She had calcium deposits in her skin that he removed for her. He did a meet and greet after that and had a bunch of estheticians and students come in for a conversation with Fulton. It was pretty interesting!

Ugh, I am soooo jealous that you live so close to that clinic!!! That would have been awesome to be a part of all that. So glad you got to see that!

Actually, I'm not sure if it was a cyst or a nodule. Does it make a difference? When I leave them alone, they start out as cysts and turn into nodules - make sense? I have a follow-up with him on 12/5, so I'll wait until then. It's just annoying. I know this probably isn't recommended, but would something like Cortisone 10 (the topical) work for a one-time isolated thing like this?

Thanks girl!

Ugh, I am soooo jealous that you live so close to that clinic!!! That would have been awesome to be a part of all that. So glad you got to see that!

Actually, I'm not sure if it was a cyst or a nodule. Does it make a difference? When I leave them alone, they start out as cysts and turn into nodules - make sense? I have a follow-up with him on 12/5, so I'll wait until then. It's just annoying. I know this probably isn't recommended, but would something like Cortisone 10 (the topical) work for a one-time isolated thing like this?

Thanks girl!

I think a cyst can turn into a nodule if the core of the cyst remains under the skin. With cortisone shots, the swelling will go down and the spot will flatten out - sometimes the body will reabsorb the core on its own, and other times it doesn't. If the core stays under the skin, the lesion can flare up again in the future. I know Dr. Fulton was telling us that if he can see a head on the lesion, he will try to extract it and then apply the cortisone. If its just a "blind" spot where no head is visible, he will just do the cortisone shot and won't try to extract it since it may be too far under the skin.

I don't know how much good cortisone 10 will do. It may temporarily reduce swelling, but its definitely not something you want to use on an acne lesion repeatedly.

It's weird, because it will go a few days looking like it's going down at a pretty good rate...then it will start to raise back up again (nothing serious, just noticeable)...and then it will go back down...etc, etc. I don't know what it's doing! But maybe another shot is worth looking into. With the dramatic reduction the first one did...if I had that kind of reduction now, it'd be gone!!

Yeah, this doesn't have a head...it's just a bump that clearly has something going on down under it. :( I'm not sure about the Cortisone either. I read about it working for someone on here, but they acknowledged that it probably wouldn't be a good idea to use it repeatedly. However, if it helped get this annoying thing "over the hump," it'd be worth it to me. Still debating on whether or not to go that route though...the ladies at the clinic would probably not be happy about it, huh? :)

It's weird, because it will go a few days looking like it's going down at a pretty good rate...then it will start to raise back up again (nothing serious, just noticeable)...and then it will go back down...etc, etc. I don't know what it's doing! But maybe another shot is worth looking into. With the dramatic reduction the first one did...if I had that kind of reduction now, it'd be gone!!

Yeah, this doesn't have a head...it's just a bump that clearly has something going on down under it. :( I'm not sure about the Cortisone either. I read about it working for someone on here, but they acknowledged that it probably wouldn't be a good idea to use it repeatedly. However, if it helped get this annoying thing "over the hump," it'd be worth it to me. Still debating on whether or not to go that route though...the ladies at the clinic would probably not be happy about it, huh? :)

I'd definitely check with Face Reality and get their thoughts on using something like that. Its always good to keep them updated on everything you are doing for your skin. Those kinds of spots are really frustrating though!!

Ok...the cyst I had injected is starting to come back...again. Don't know what to do about it. Wondering if I should attempt to get it injected again... GRRRR!!!!

Tonight is my last night on the weird regimen. Tomorrow night, I can start leaving my Acne Med on all night and wearing my serum every morning. Things are still going good - my only complaint is some dryness around my eye area, but the good people at the clinic quickly responded and told me how to take care of that. :)

Anyway, what the thought on the cyst that won't go away? Another injection...or wait it out and be pissed off?

Thanks everyone (anyone?)!

Ok...the cyst I had injected is starting to come back...again. Don't know what to do about it. Wondering if I should attempt to get it injected again... GRRRR!!!!

Tonight is my last night on the weird regimen. Tomorrow night, I can start leaving my Acne Med on all night and wearing my serum every morning. Things are still going good - my only complaint is some dryness around my eye area, but the good people at the clinic quickly responded and told me how to take care of that. :)

Anyway, what the thought on the cyst that won't go away? Another injection...or wait it out and be pissed off?

I would ask your derm if the lesion can be extracted (and then maybe injected again). If the core of the cyst isn't removed, it may just come back over and over again, even with cortisone shots. I had this done once by a derm who is also a cosmetic surgeon and it worked really well.

I would ask your derm if the lesion can be extracted (and then maybe injected again). If the core of the cyst isn't removed, it may just come back over and over again, even with cortisone shots. I had this done once by a derm who is also a cosmetic surgeon and it worked really well.

Ok, I'll do that. The only problem is that there isn't a head...at all. So could the core even be removed??

Ok, I'll do that. The only problem is that there isn't a head...at all. So could the core even be removed??

It still might be extractable. It also depends on whether the derm is willing to do it - some prefer to just give the cortisone shots. I almost never get cysts or nodules, but I did have one deep, under the skin, pea-sized nodule develop on my jawline about a year and a half ago. It had no head, it was just a small, hard lump under the skin. The estheticians at FR couldn't get at it to extract it because it was too deep in the skin. I went to a derm who is also a cosmetic surgeon. He numbed the area and then was able to go deeper under the skin to extract the core. He applied cortisone afterwards. The swelling went down in a couple days, and the spot has never come back since.

It still might be extractable. It also depends on whether the derm is willing to do it - some prefer to just give the cortisone shots. I almost never get cysts or nodules, but I did have one deep, under the skin, pea-sized nodule develop on my jawline about a year and a half ago. It had no head, it was just a small, hard lump under the skin. The estheticians at FR couldn't get at it to extract it because it was too deep in the skin. I went to a derm who is also a cosmetic surgeon. He numbed the area and then was able to go deeper under the skin to extract the core. He applied cortisone afterwards. The swelling went down in a couple days, and the spot has never come back since.

Hmmm, interesting. I might have to look into that. You're in a place where cosmetic surgeons are abundant...I live in a cornfield. LOL! I do have a cosmetic surgeon; however, he's definitely not a dermatologist. I think it would be hard to find that combo in Indiana. :( Glad to hear that it worked for you though - at least I know it CAN work. Do you think repeated injections would take care of it if I couldn't get it extracted??? My derm will do just about anything I ask him, but it's that kind of attitude that makes me nervous about him digging into my skin - make sense?

So today marks the first day of my 4th week. I have to say that I think things are going well - the only stuff I'm struggling with is the two spots that I've had for weeks/months now. :( Not sure how long those will stick around. But I haven't had a new spot yet (knock on some serious wood, please...everyone...).

Kim, my advisor at Face Reality, has recommended that I start taking Renew Life Fishsmart Ultra. She thinks my breakouts are definitely hormone related. And my regimen will clear up whatever comes, but won't prevent them from coming. Hoping that the supplement will do that for me. That is on order from the company so we'll see how that goes.

I have a derm appt on Friday so I will ask him then what he thinks about my stubborn spots...

Hey Willow...how long did it take for you to see consistent improvement? And what was your acne type?

So today marks the first day of my 4th week. I have to say that I think things are going well - the only stuff I'm struggling with is the two spots that I've had for weeks/months now. :( Not sure how long those will stick around. But I haven't had a new spot yet (knock on some serious wood, please...everyone...).

Kim, my advisor at Face Reality, has recommended that I start taking Renew Life Fishsmart Ultra. She thinks my breakouts are definitely hormone related. And my regimen will clear up whatever comes, but won't prevent them from coming. Hoping that the supplement will do that for me. That is on order from the company so we'll see how that goes.

I have a derm appt on Friday so I will ask him then what he thinks about my stubborn spots...

Hey Willow...how long did it take for you to see consistent improvement? And what was your acne type?

Glad things are going well. Hopefully your derm can do something about those stubborn spots! When I started at Face Reality, I had a combination of mild inflamed and noninflamed acne - mostly got inflamed spots just on my chin. I almost never had cysts or nodules though - I used to get maybe one of those every couple of years at most.

I would say it took me a few months to see consistent improvement (although I also did make a lot of progress in just the first 6 wks). After that, things just continued to gradually improve. I would break out less and less often, with fewer and fewer inflamed spots. I haven't had any large inflamed pustules in a really long time (knock on wood...). Now, I only get a few small, mostly noninflamed little whiteheads here and there, and often I am even clear of those.

Well, my derm didn't really have a lot to say about the cyst from hell that won't go away! He just switched my antibiotics...but I haven't physically changed them yet because I think the previous antibiotic was at least helping.

I change up my regimen today...but I don't know to what yet. I'll update my signature once I realize what I'm supposed to be doing for the next couple of weeks!

Still looking good though...so far! Oh, and I got the Fishsmart supplement for my hormones...not sure how that will play out until my hormonal issues usually come around...

Well, I'm getting ready to embark on my 6th week being under the care of Face Reality. I must say that I'm rather impressed...

I've been taking the Fishsmart supplement in addition to everything else...don't know if that's helping or just not doing anything. I'm getting ready to start applying some Acne Med w/ Sulphur in order to try to shrink some of these under-the-skin bad boys that will NOT go away! I'm expecting that in a couple of days, so I'm crossing my fingers.

I'm almost afraid to talk about my success with this regimen for fear that it will jinx me. So I'm just going to leave it at this: I'm VERY pleased with my results so far, but I am always waiting for that other shoe to drop at any moment. :)

Have a lovely day!!!

I just want to add that I would post pictures, but I'm afraid you guys would laugh at me. My acne isn't really visible on camera...it's mostly under the skin types of stuff. So yeah, it's hard to see anyway...but man, does it hurt!!!

So yeah, I know you can't really tell if I'm progressing or not, but I don't think pics would really help with my type of acne. :( Sorry.

Glad that you are happy with your results so far! The AcneMed/Sulfur should help those problem spots. I am not familiar with the Fishsmart supplement, so you'll have to keep me posted on whether you think its helping or not. :)

Whew! Sorry it's been so long! Just avoiding the Christmas rush (procrastinating, actually).

I'm still going good! There have been a few times where I thought something was starting to brew, but nothing has come of it yet. Again, I hesitate to discuss this too much because my past experience has been that just when I think I'm doing good...it hits the fan. :(

So yeah...I think I'm supposed to start applying the Acne Med in the morning too, but it's just too drying right now. Especially in the winter. Been using the sulfur for a week or so now...good, good. Been taking the Fishsmart for about 2 weeks now...also good.

So yeah...I'm good! MERRY CHRISTMAS and I'll check back in a few days! :)

Just another check in real quick! I'm still doing well!!! There is one spot on my chin that is acting crazy...coming up, going away, coming up, going away, etc. Annoying. And my only real complaint regarding the treatment is DRYNESS!!! Wow. But I don't think the winter weather is really helping that all too much. :( So hopefully when it starts to warm up, I won't be so flaky and icky. Hard to wear make-up like that.

Ummm, that's about it! Sorry I don't have more to say this time around. :(

Just another check in real quick! I'm still doing well!!! There is one spot on my chin that is acting crazy...coming up, going away, coming up, going away, etc. Annoying. And my only real complaint regarding the treatment is DRYNESS!!! Wow. But I don't think the winter weather is really helping that all too much. :( So hopefully when it starts to warm up, I won't be so flaky and icky. Hard to wear make-up like that.

Ummm, that's about it! Sorry I don't have more to say this time around. :(

Glad its going well. You might ask if you can start using a moisturizer at this point - especially since skin tends to get so dry in the winter. They have a really good water based hydrating gel called Hydrating Emulsion that doesn't interfere with product absorption.

HI! I'm sooo excited to see another long distance FR client here! I just recently signed up and still haven't received my serum test kit yet due to some delivery problems, but it's such a comfort to know I'm not the only one that doesn't live in CA, I'm aaallllllll the way in New York on the other side of the country!! :wall:

and hi willow!