Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Good response but why can't you see Salicylic Acid or BP won't work for her? She in the the severe cystic acne bracket. She needs to:

1. Go on accutane.

2. Reduce the current cysts you have and improve skin condition a little (dermtalogist will help) AND then go on accutane.

Food/Diet shouldn't have that much of an effect on skin, certaintly not enough to induce cystic acne in any case. Carbohydrates in general tend to induce oily skin. But Diet shouldn't help to prevent cystic acne, maybe only help it. Forget the yogurts; Eat whole foods full of nutrients like Broccoli, Blueberries, Tomatoes...You need lots of veggies. But again, this shouldn't make that much a deal.

I don't know why people on this forum keep pushing things other than Accutane.

ACCUTANE IS GOING TO WORK FOR YOU. THAT IS IT.

I agree with you 2freshtoclean, diet won't do jack for her severe acne right now. OP i had the same severe acne as yours when i was in college and accutane was the only thing that really help me. I did the diet, the antis, the topicals and nothing helped: only accutane. Do not waste time, maybe you can get help from family members or your fiance to pay for the accutane. You deserve to enjoy your time in college! I wish you the best.

BlossomD: I would like to explore that issue a bit more, you said that you started breaking out after you got back? That does not mean that something in NYC did it, something on your trip might have triggered it off. There is a hotter climate with differing UV and air quality in Albania, NYC might have more industrial chemicals / pollution in the air to react with your skin, as well as a different climate and ratios of UV. Also something else...you travelled in an aeroplane, and people can get issues with cabin air quality interaction with skin oils. I would not necessarily point the finger at NYC, although maybe you might be able to. I think the aeroplane travel, the changes in Albania, plus the reversal of "holiday mode" perhaps paved the way for some problem skin? Flying in an aeroplane caused at least one person on these forums to have more Acne.

See Here about flying, and also here. It might have something to do with that?

Ya i wasnt trying to put the blame on NYC but i know it has something to do with the different changes in climate or the air maybe. Because i was so clear that summer, and the month i got back i went from one month from mild to moderate-severe acne and it hasnt stopped =/. I shouldnt have went to ALBANIA arr!

Axl Rosenberg, you said you ordered it online? Did you still get blood tests and visit the derm every month? Is it safe to take it without being monitored by a doctor? :shifty:

No i dont get blood tests n shit or visit a derm f that.Ive been on it for 2 months its made in india or afghanistan...some third world country.Anyway im still alive so. :dance:

Hi smellycat,

I feel ur pain, literally. I have the same type of acne, same place but my forehead is clearer. Three years ago, my acne cleared after six months of Diane 35, an androgen blocker bc. It worked real well...but the bad news is that went I stopped, the acne came back full force, or worse maybe, and painful. So much that after one year of struggle, I'm back on it now. But I really want to find something natural, and recently I've noticed that dairy and gluten are big triggers for me (eating gluten makes my skin itchy and burning within hours). Now, I don't know if gluten free diet alone would clear me, but it helps. I had problems with binge eating crises for the past few weeks, but before that I followed a low GI diet and I noticed my skin was no more oily after three weeks, I did not need to use bloating papers anymore (whereas before I used four a day).

I don't know if all this will clear us up alone, but it will help. But diane 35 made a wonderful job on my skin, though we can't deny side effects as well. But being back n it will give me time to figure out what's wrong with me, and give me stress relief for a while. I wish you luck and hope you find your cure.

I have always thought accutane woudn't be a solution for me as well, I know too many people who experience side effects years after the treatment, which are less conspicuous than acne is, but far more serious health wise.

Good luck dear, I am with you with all my heart!

Good response but why can't you see Salicylic Acid or BP won't work for her? She in the the severe cystic acne bracket. She needs to:

1. Go on accutane.

2. Reduce the current cysts you have and improve skin condition a little (dermtalogist will help) AND then go on accutane.

Food/Diet shouldn't have that much of an effect on skin, certaintly not enough to induce cystic acne in any case. Carbohydrates in general tend to induce oily skin. But Diet shouldn't help to prevent cystic acne, maybe only help it. Forget the yogurts; Eat whole foods full of nutrients like Broccoli, Blueberries, Tomatoes...You need lots of veggies. But again, this shouldn't make that much a deal.

I don't know why people on this forum keep pushing things other than Accutane.

ACCUTANE IS GOING TO WORK FOR YOU. THAT IS IT.

well I meant for her to try BP or salycilic just until her derm appointment in a couple of weeks when she can get a prescription for something stronger...

Also I know that accutane does help many people, but it's not an all around cure and there are some serious potential side effects. Trust me, I understand what severe acne is, unfortunately through personal experience. Diet may not be a cure for everyone, but I do feel that most people can benefit from a change in diet. I used to get very bad cystic acne on my chin all of the time, but cutting out dairy has stopped that altogether. I have to do several things to keep my skin clear, avoiding dairy is just one of them. If I hadn't seen an improvement in my skin after all of my efforts, accutane would have been my next step since I am in my mid-twenties and my acne was still considered moderate/severe. I personally felt it was worth it to give alternative methods a try and they have helped me.

Don't listen to all these people "OMG i'm so scared of accutane" or "i've known some people" or whatever. They never did accutane and want one less cute girl with clear skin off the streets. :clap:

Kidding.

But really, even if you go on some hormone treatments, will these permanently shrink your sebum oil glands like accutane? Answer is No. If you have a HORMONE problem, a doctor will do a blood test, or seek an endocronologist. Food SHOULD not determine your outbreaks. True, maybe eating some greasy fast food will give you a zit, but SHOULDN'T give you a full out break out.

Frenchygirl is talking about how she can eat this, can't eat that, etc. With accutane, you can eat whatever you want, whenever you want. External sources (aka food) don't matter as in your sebum oil glands don't produce excessive amounts which is why you get cysts.

You did trial and error, you need to do the adequate research. You have a great source in this forum, as the people who have DONE accutane. Not the people who HAVEN'T. Do the research and you will find anything besides accutane is... pointess.

Maybe there are some slim risks. Do it. You want to live the rest of your life having acne? Maybe when youre oil production cuts down in 30 years, do you want to look back and say, what if I had done accutane?

Look. You have bad skin- I feel for you. Do the right thing. Do the accutane.

No, do not get a student loan. There are other ways to help your problems, aside from getting into debt, and helping along the current economic "situations".

Also, I disagree that Acne is purely due to excessive sebum, and I am not even sure sebum is such of a great issue. The only reason it is implicated is because it can no longer get out of the follicles anymore, because things are blocked up. Part of the reason Accutane works for most people, is because it also speeds up the replacement of dead cells. That is part of what Vitamin A does, and Accutane is a retinoic acid derivative, and Retinoic Acid is part of the Vitamin A system. Accutane's chemical is 13-cis-retinoic-acid, which is given directly in large doses, rather than going through the body's internal regulation systems. That is why it has powerful effects, and its toxicity resembles Vitamin A toxicity. However, I think it is good to remember that it is when the skin gets clogged up with too many dead cells (when good nutrition is lacking, or the external damage is too severe), that they fail to be replaced quickly, and accumulate. Once they begin to accumulate, that is when I think you can then see "clogging", and then Acne and other problems. Therefore, if this is correct: you can treat Acne two ways:

1) Nutrition for increased cellular turnover speed and skin healing (or take some drug called Accutane with risks)

2) Stop killing so many skin cells with chemicals and the sun

"The body kills skin cells that have been exposed to too much ultraviolet radiation" (Australian Academy of Science, 1997), to raise a definite cause of dead skin cells. I am sure there are others, and that nutrition plays a role, as can be observed by 13-cis-retinoic-acid (Accutane) working from the inside to speed up the turnover (replacement) of dead skin cells. JumpHigher (2008) states that "Retinol is pure vitamin A", and "...(V)itamin A is a part of forming and maintaining healthy skin", and then goes on to say that Vitamin A "...encourages the production and elimination of skin cells and stimulates the renewal of keratinocytes". Vitamin A is an important natural nutrient to make sure you are not deficient in. The George Mateljan Foundation (n.d.) state that "A tell-tale sign of vitamin A deficiency is hyperkeratosis, a goose bump-like appearance of the skin caused by excessive production of keratin (a protein found in skin) that blocks hair follicles". If you do not get enough natural (not synthetic vitamins) Vitamin A, the renewal of the skin is prevented from being efficient, and dead skin cells could then accumulate, blocking the hair follicles. Nutritional deficiency then, can be a factor in sluggish cellular turnover in the skin, with a corresponding increase in risk for skin duct blockages, such as Acne.

Australian Academy of Science, 1997, Sun and skin-Print version, Accessed October 2007, http://www.science.org.au/nova/008/008print.htm.

JumpHigher, 2008, Protect yourself Against Sun Damage With Some Necessary Tips, Accessed October 2008, http://www.articlesbase.com/skin-care-arti...ips-462483.html.

The George Mateljan Foundation, n.d., WHFoods: vitamin A, Accessed October 2008, http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=n...nt&dbid=106.

Do your research before you throw around info for others; Where have you learned all this? Sadly, you are very misinformed.

I never said Acne is “purely due to excessive sebum.†But cystic acne is. Granted you remove the external varirables from the Acne equation…aka wash your face.

Also, I disagree that Acne is purely due to excessive sebum, and I am not even sure sebum is such of a great issue.

2fresh2clean: No need to get angry at me. Sebum backs up due to the blocked follicles, probably causing the enlargement / rupturing of the pilosebaceous duct. Sebum is not the only issue.

Accutane (13-cis-retinoic-acid), is a derivative of Retinoic Acid (RA) which is the most potentially irritating form of Vitamin A. Accutane does more than affect sebum, it speeds up skin cell turnover, and improves natural functioning of healthy skin. RA (which Accutane is a derivative of) is the chemical that the receptors in the skin strongly react to. Accutane helps to recover / deliver RA chemical messages to the skin, in order for it to partially function healthily again. However, the normal way RA messages occur is that Vitamin A, which is naturally stored in the skin, is converted to RA as is needed. Vitamin A is found in high amounts in the skin, but exposure to UV radiation depletes a lot of this Vitamin A in the skin. Vitamin A is required in the skin in high amounts in order for the skin to be healthy.

I have done plenty of research, you might want to consider that large amounts of 13-cis-retinoic-acid (Accutane) does carry certain risks. It bypasses the body's natural regulation mechanisms, and does show certain signs of toxicity.

Fair enough. Sorry about the tone.

Well if we can agree on one thing, one factor that does contribute to cystic acne must be problems with the sebaceous glands size & production, and/or other things. I was reading through one of your posts about how a collar shirt gave you a cystic acne line.

This light a blub in my head: I have a line below my chin, and sleep on my face. This blocks the "turnover of dead skin cells" you talk of, thus blocking the exit of the sebum oil, thus creating a cyst.

Yes I understand the toxicity risk and this is why I have stopped my consumption of alcohol, for now at least :dance:

In my opinion, she needs to take the risk and get involved in accutane. I think the reward is far greater than the risk. The reward for me was so sweet.

That is all good. I still have small amounts of Acne in other places, but it was much more severe where I had skin exposed. I thought I would add that this might be part of the reason, since Accutane is related to Vitamin A. Vitamin A in the skin (when the skin is exposed) is depleted due to light / sunlight. Vitamin A in the skin is light-sensitive. Unless you recharge with Vitamin A, and keep up with its depletion, the health of your skin will suffer (i.e. Skin Aging). When the Vitamin A in the exposed skin gets depleted due to light / sunlight, normal healthy skin functioning in those areas is greatly decreased, as Vitamin A is very essential for normal skin cellular functioning. Also, as the Vitamin A is depleted in the exposed areas, the result is also a decrease in blood Vitamin A levels. This decrease in overall levels, obviously leaves one susceptible to break-outs of skin issues in other areas of the body. Since Accutane (13-cis-retinoic-acid) works so well for most people's Acne, I had to research the science behind it. I think it is important to be aware of the risks, and perhaps understand the possible mechanisms for the problem having occurred in the first place, rather than going in full-bore to take this drug to be the "miracle" cure, since 90% of babies in pregnant mothers who took Accutane were born with severe birth defects.

I agree with you, there probably are issues with the sebaceous gland and sebum, but I am saying that I think healthy skin and blood levels of Vitamin A maintained over a period of time would normalize these problems. I am essentially saying that Acne is due to un-normalized issues in the skin, and it seems as if Vitamin A is essential in order for these issues to become normalized again. Whether it is part of the issue, or the whole of the issue remains to be seen, but since Accutane works for the most part, it seems like it would be a whole lot of the issue.

There was a study by Varani, Perone, Griffiths, Inman, Fligiel & Voorhees (1994) that concluded that "...(T)he ability of RA to enhance repair of sun-damaged skin (documented in previous studies) may reflect its ability to influence the behavior of skin in a manner that is age dependent but independent of sun-exposure status", and Accutane is a derivative of Retinoic Acid (RA). RA enhances repair of sun-damaged skin (Varani, Perone, Griffiths, Inman, Fligiel & Voorhees, 1994). Chen, Sly & De Luca (1994) even found that "(H)igh dietary RA inhibited carcinoma formation".

Chen, L., Sly, L. and De Luca, L. 1994, High dietary retinoic acid prevents malignant conversion of skin papillomas induced by a two-stage carcinogenesis protocol in female SENCAR mice, Accessed October 2008, http://carcin.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/conte...ract/15/10/2383.

Varani, J., Perone, P., Griffiths, C., Inman, D., Fligiel, S. and Voorhees, J. 1994, All-trans retinoic acid (RA) stimulates events in organ-cultured human skin that underlie repair, Accessed October 2008, http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlere...gi?artid=294565.

Thanks everyone for your support, I don't know how I will get through this without this board :angel: Not getting whole lot of that from fiance, he is getting annoyed with me complaining about it all the time already :cry: but it just hurts and itches too much! It helps to know I am are not the only one, even though I sincerely wish all of us to be acne free!

I just can't wait for the appointment! It seems like eternity and I feel like my face is going to explode before then. :evil: ARGH still one more week to go!! I will talk to him about hormonal treatments as well as Accutane (hopefully he knows what he's doing!!!). My previous derm actually suggested it (accutane), but I was too afraid at the time, plus I wasn't as severe :wacko: .

Do you think the derm will prescribe me Accutane on the first visit? Will he need my previous derm's info for reference? (i read somewhere, derm are afraid you won't be responsible enough with drugs so they don't prescribe Accutane on first visit?) Also, since I will probably need to get BCP anyways for Accutane, is it ok to get the ones that are known for treating acne like Yasmine or Orth TriCyclen? Will dermatologist prescribe that or I will have to go to a regular doctor for it?

Since I will have to wait for 2(?) blood tests before I actually get prescription I hope I can take something that is treating me in the mean time. Also, does BCP cause IB? What about spironolactone? I am afraid to get worst!! I dunno how much worst it can go... its so bad already T-T And does anyone knows how fast does the BCP/spiro usually takes to be effective? Also, has anyone taken generic brand of Accutane? How well does it work compared to regular one? (I really doubt i can afford regular Accutane anyway) Sorry for the all questions again but I want to be as informed as possible before the appointment.

I have been drinking so much rooibos and camomile tea, hoping it will reduce the imflammation, but my cheek is still 2x as thick and now cyst is growing upon cyst... So painful that I can't even focus on complaining how much they hurt. Just so stressed right now!!! Well... hopefully I will survive till Wednesday. Thanks again for helping me out :wub:

I do not recommend Accutane usage at all at this stage, but some (a lot, it seems of) other people do.

Part of the problem with Accutane (13cRA - a generic compound would do the same thing), is that the Acne seems to keep coming back after it is discontinued anyway, for some people, and if not, for a fair proportion of people, so they keep having to take more courses of it. So you have to put up with severe side effects many times over.

There will be newer, safer compounds coming out in the next couple of years I would think, for Acne, so I would just not recommend Accutane at this stage period. I do not even support drugs (synthetically produced pharmaceutical compounds) period.

Do not overdose on tea, just consume a normal, healthful diet, and stop putting all the chemicals on your skin, to give it a chance to heal up. Moisturising creams seem to help feed the bacteria, and further help to unbalance your skin. If I were you I would put nothing on my skin at all, and consume a normal, healthful diet, watch out on UV exposure (to cause further skin damage), and the Acne should improve, mine has.

I do not recommend Accutane usage at all at this stage, but some (a lot, it seems of) other people do.

Part of the problem with Accutane (13cRA - a generic compound would do the same thing), is that the Acne seems to keep coming back after it is discontinued anyway, for some people, and if not, for a fair proportion of people, so they keep having to take more courses of it. So you have to put up with severe side effects many times over.

There will be newer, safer compounds coming out in the next couple of years I would think, for Acne, so I would just not recommend Accutane at this stage period. I do not even support drugs (synthetically produced pharmaceutical compounds) period.

Do not overdose on tea, just consume a normal, healthful diet, and stop putting all the chemicals on your skin, to give it a chance to heal up. Moisturising creams seem to help feed the bacteria, and further help to unbalance your skin. If I were you I would put nothing on my skin at all, and consume a normal, healthful diet, watch out on UV exposure (to cause further skin damage), and the Acne should improve, mine has.

I am not sure what medication the dermatologist will prescribe me and I think I will listen to his opinion before I decide. But since I have never met this doctor, I don't know if he will be willing to explain everything to me and if he will rush me into taking things. That's why I am trying to learn more about everything so I don't make hasty decisions.

I am not a big fan of taking drugs myself that why I stopped the antibiotics in the first place. :| But I have been doing exactly what you said trying to stop the out break, with using water to wash my face and no lotion but that just made my face really really oily and itchy. I eat healthy vegetarian diet with no soda, no diary, low sugar, no fried food, no oily food, no caffine, no alcohol.... I been eating healthy for years although I just recently become vegetarian. I exercise almost every other day (jog/yoga). I don't really go outside that much and I always use sunscreen if i do.

So far my acne has become worst by the day, so I am not sure all these are helping. It is so bad that I started taking tylenol to stop the pain last night. The cysts are so deep that my gums and left eye hurts plus a constant headache. I really wish my acne would go away the natural way but I am not a doctor so I don't want to mess with my body taking in supplements as others on this board are doing. My acne is genetic. All my cousins, aunts, uncles and grandpa had it, but it seems I am the worst case. My mom had acne until she's 50 :wall: but hers wasn't so severe. so I am also afraid I will have to live like this for the next 30 years!!! But anyways, I won't be deciding anything before I see the derm. :wacko:

Well, included in chemicals on your face is this: "I don't really go outside that much and I always use sunscreen if i do", sunscreen is perhaps one of the worst things known to mankind. I would just not go outside that much into the sun at all, and avoid using sunscreen totally. Do not put anything synthetic on your face, sunscreen included. My Acne went so severe after 3 months of sunscreen, because some of these chemicals react with UV light. Besides that, UVA still gets through most sunscreens and you still get Vitamin A depletion, with Vitamin A deficiency linked to Acne formation. Accutane is a derivative of Vitamin A. Vitamin A is light sensitive, and it can be depleted through sunscreens, as UVA destroys it.

Sunscreen can make you break out really badly, so if you have been using that recently, and your Acne got worse, well I would perhaps cut out putting that on your skin. I meant no synthetically manufactured chemicals on your skin full stop, not just chemical washes.

It might take a long while for your body to maintain a normal balance after the heavy use of antibiotics, which might be why your Acne is worse now. You have to decide that you are just going to go the natural route and stick with it, or decide you will take the un-natural route and stick with it, because if you keep chopping and changing, how do you think your skin is going to react? Please keep in mind that naturally, it takes a long time to heal up skin damages as you get older. Everything heals more slowly once you get older. My skin heals really slowly, but it still goes in the same direction.

Do not use sunscreen! Just avoid the sun, sunscreen is the worst for Acne, it is just one sticky, cloggy, blockage inducing mess, I found.

As for your healthful diet, I agree it looks like your diet is fine, I would just make sure you get loads of Vitamin A, which Accutane is related to. You can not really say you have been totally healthful all of these years, since you were taking antibiotics, which promote such unhealthful activity. Part of this was probably being offset by your healthy diet.

It sounds terrible what you are going through, but pills do not seem to be the way out. Because you are older now, it will take a long while for your body to recover from all the years of antibiotics you took. Antibiotics are not healthy!

When you used just water to wash, your skin felt oily and itchy? That is because all the oil under your skin is bulging up, and getting blocked, and getting infected. When things get infected, they get itchy? You are best off putting no chemicals on it, and letting the natural balance of microflora take over again. An acidic, salty skin environment discourages pathogenic microbial habitation, so I think that using moisturisers, sunscreens and chemical washes strip natural habitational balances, and can pave the way for greater problems. If your Acne is worse where you put the sunscreen, it may be involved, sunscreen was definitely involved in my Acne.

I think a good way to look at it is this: Just like any other injury, your skin "injuries" require healing, in order for normalisation to occur. This makes sense to me, because individuals are rarely born with Acne, but it is induced at some later stage. However, the problem is that when you get older, you heal more slowly, and you have more stress and responsibility et cetera...so really, avoiding anything that can potentially cause the skin further injury, and having plenty of rest and fluids should help your skin to heal. Getting it to fully heal is the hard part. It seems to be made easier with greater age though, as the blood flow to the skin decreases as well with much older age, and then you get less sebum, so that helps. When you are stuck in the middle, too old to heal up fast, too young to have too much functional injury, it is made difficult I think. I am sorry for what you go through, it must be terrible for you. Both Ultraviolet-A and Ultraviolet-B radiation cause skin injury and inflammation, for one definite source of skin injury. Pollution in the air can also react with natural skin oils, and deplete Vitamins in the skin as well.

Hi,

I thought you might find my post helpful

I recently struggled with a HORRIBLE bout of hormonal acne. I went to several different doctors, none of whom helped. After doing tons of research, I was able to finally get control of my skin with two natural products, Pregnenolone and Saw Palmetto. You can read more about it in my post. Good Luck! I hope it helps you

I gave you my advice. Xquisite is wrong though, most people DON'T go on accutane more than once. It permanently shrinks the oil glands. For me, I was clear (crystal clear) for about 2 years after. I am on second course, but I didn't really need it. I could have taken some other pills for my *mild* acne but I am greedy, I know how well accutane works. I won't settle for anything less than perfect skin, now that I know what it is like. I will have permanently clear skin forever after this course.

Generic brands are fine. My first generic brand was "Amnesteem" and now i'm on "Sotret." Just different names for the different companies that market the same substance, Isotrentoin.

Just goto the doctor, he will take care of the blood tests. He will answer your questions. All you need is accutane plus a simple mild dove facewash.

I really think you should just suck it up and do it. You sound like a wuss, or a baby, to be honest. You need to be a realist- you have really really bad cystic acne. No jogging, or tea, or tetracycline is gonna clear you up. I play college soccer, best shape of my life. I don't drink, don't smoke and eat only whole foods including broccoli, blueberries, and basically anything and all things healthy. My stress level is pretty low. You need to understand the external factors (diet, exercise) play little factors on the occurance of cystic acne. Its all internal, in your oil glands.

I don't know you, but highly doubt you have hormonal acne. Are you having sex? Are you on birth control at all? Talk to the doctor abotu your concerns.

Basically, you just need to goto the doc and see what he says. You will have clear skin soon enough. If you don't take my advice, you are an idiot. Sorry. But I really do wish you the best (clear skin), if I didn't I wouldn't be commenting. I feel your pain though, because I had it almost as bad as you. On the other side, the accutane gave me the life I wanted. Its worth it.

2fresh2clean: You said that "...most people DON'T go on accutane more than once", however once you use it once, you seem more reliant on it and not on natural methods, and what do you know? You are "on..." your "second course", exactly what I was saying. What "Other Pills" could you have taken for your then *mild* Acne which came back even after you "permanently" shrunk your oil glands? It is not healthy to shrink the oil glands, it is healthy to normalise the skin's functioning. I think the lady should stay away from the drugs, not go deeper into them. You said that you "...will have permanently clear skin forever after this course", are you sure, one person on these forums has been on Accutane for 8 years!

Sunscreens: "Benzophenones/oxybenzone/benzoylmethanes do absorb some UVA radiation but have been found to cause photo/contact allergy and most significantly, they tend to imitate and therefore exacerbate existing skin disease (including acne)" (Dingle, n.d.). This refers to sunscreens containing those ingredients, but I am sure there are no "innocent" ingredients when it comes to UV absorption, except - Natural Melanin. If you have hypersensitive skin, I do not think there is such a thing as a beneficial synthetic "skin care" ingredient, there are just some that are better tolerated than others.

Dingle, T. n.d., The Green Directory, Accessed October 2008, http://www.thegreendirectory.com.au/green-...-care-articles/.

adieuacne.com contains all the information that I used to clear up my severe cystic acne. In fact, I still follow the same routine today to reduce the visibility of my acne scars. It's pretty exciting to wake up every morning and see the progress I've made. I've tried accutane, but that only worked for about 6 months. Anyway, I hope that helps.

I never had problems with ance when I was younger. About 2 years ago when I stopped taking birth control I started breaking out really bad. I'm now 27. I started taking vitamins about 5 months ago and buying them from a website and kept seeing a product that was supposed to help balance hormones. It never crossed my mind to try it for my acne until I got their newsletter about adult acne and how this is supposed to help. I decided to try it and have been taking it for about 3 months now and can tell a HUGE difference. Not saying that it would work for everyone but I didn't want to start back on birth control so I was willing to give it a try. The website is www.trivita.com and it's called balanced woman. The newsletter said that men can take it too although I don't know many men that would take something called Balanced Woman. But to me it's well worth the money. I still have breakouts now and then but nothing like before. Stuff is awesome!