Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
azcardskill

FDA warns generic drug Sotret may not be safe!!!

http://www.abc4.com/mostpopular/story.aspx...ac-386f3416b00f

The serious manufacturing problems found at two Ranbaxy Laboratories company's plants include cross contamination of medicines, poor sterilization, and incomplete production records. They potentially involved Ranbaxy's generic versions of cholesterol lowering drugs Zocor, Vytorin and Pravachol, antibiotic Cipro, acne drug Accutane, antacid Zantac, and allergy medicines Alavert and Children's Claritin - as well as dozens of others drugs.

What they mentioned might be true. I took the original and generic brands before and the generic brand caused me intense headache.

Thats just great -- I am taking Sotret right now. I have my derm appt on Tuesday so I'll be getting my next prescription then in which I'll be asking for them not to fill it with Sotret.

While I find this odd, my Derm who has awards and is recognized in the community says that the 30mg version of Sotret is not a generic. Because the 20mg and 40mg are so common, they are generic under the brand name Sotret, however the 30mg under the brand name Sotret is not. She actually said the same thing, that the generics are prone to more side effects than the non-generics. If and when I up my dose, I will be switching to the brand name Accutane. Currently Im on the 30mg Sotret.

does this go for claravis as well? i started on brand name accutane but switched to claravis because I did not want to spend $1000 a month but now i am considering going back to brand because of this!

Oh that's scary to hear. :( I just started Sotret last week actually. I'm not sure what to do, but I guess I could talk to my dermatologist about swapping to brand name or another generic.

Oh that's scary to hear. :( I just started Sotret last week actually. I'm not sure what to do, but I guess I could talk to my dermatologist about swapping to brand name or another generic.

Is it worth the extra $50 to get the name brand Accutane?

That's up to you if you have the cash to do it. There's also Claravis (which I'm currently taking). I know that my pharmacy has stopped carrying Sotret.

All I can do is reiterate what my derm told me. Yes, it's still made by Ranbaxy, however she told me 30mg is an odd dose that's not prescribed nearly as often as the 20mg and 40mg doses. In my opinion it's still a generic however there's no way to really prove what they do in the manufacturing process. Do they just get the 30mg from Roche Labs and put there name on it? Who knows....

I have been on Sotret for 3-1/2 months and I remember my derm saying "Were gonna keep you on this, (Sotret) not that nasty Clavaris." It's probably just a matter of opinion.