Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nikkolass

What about the Sun helps your acne?

I was looking into buying a sunlamp. seeing that the only time of the year i have clear skin is in the summer, when i'm always out in the sun. now that it's fall and i'm not in the sun, i wanted to look into sunlamps, so my face would stop breaking out. but there's so many different kinds! some emit UVA and UVB rays, and some emit a Blulight that is supposed to help acne. so how does the sun help my acne??? is it the UVA/UVB rays? or should i invest in the Blulight sunlamp?? thanks :surprised:

Long term exposure to the sun dehydrates your skin, oily skin is a huge contributing factor to acne and the sun temporarily inhibits this, but for many the temporary relief is followed by even heavier acne as your skin produces more sebaceous oil (even when heavy exposure to the sun has ceased) to compensate for this bout of dehydration and consequently your acne flairs up even worse than before, temporarily of course.

Now for the science: Both the UV wavelengths you refer to penetrate the skin and alter your DNA in two different ways: UVA is less likely to cause sunburn but penetrates deeper into the skin causing the most damage to your DNA and UVB is more likely to cause sunburn but doesn't penetrate the skin as deep but it still alters your DNA. Your skin is resistant to a certain amount of UV exposure but these two rays in unhealthy doses are carcinogenic.

To put it simply the sun:

- Dries your skin up reducing the amount of oil.

- Burns your skin and so spots become less noticeable.

- Limited amounts of UVB rays cause your skin to produce Vitamin D, but don't take that as long term sun exposure is beneficial without proper protection, because it is not.

Good you may think, but not if you think of the risks of skin cancer involved in constant exposure to UVA and UVB rays.

well i know this is true. i have naturally tan skin whcih doesn't mean i'm not afraid of skin cancer, but i am much more partial to the sun than afraid of it. I believe the sun has different effects on people's skin, and for me personally i cannot stop breaking out wtihout it. i've had bad acne for 4 years and the sun is the only thing that has worked. even two courses of accutane failed! so is it the UVA/UVB? or a bluelight? or what! hahahah. there's all these kind of lamps and i don't know what one would be best to buy!

It's a gamble, pure and simple, if you, like me in the past believe the risk is worth it, then for the sake of feeling better, just a standard UVA / UVB emitting face tanning machine should do the job. I don't know about bluelights, never heard of that one before, but face tanners that emit UVA and UVB rays are the equivalent to natural sunlight as far as your skin is concerned, you should be able to pick one up for less than 100 euro.

Just be careful with it is all I'll say to ya.

It's a gamble, pure and simple, if you, like me in the past believe the risk is worth it, then for the sake of feeling better, just a standard UVA / UVB emitting face tanning machine should do the job. I don't know about bluelights, never heard of that one before, but face tanners that emit UVA and UVB rays are the equivalent to natural sunlight as far as your skin is concerned, you should be able to pick one up for less than 100 euro.

Just be careful with it is all I'll say to ya.

hahah well i probably am being young, naive and stupid. but when i look at my face in the mirror, i would do almost anything to have that fresh summer skin, you know? thanks for the advice! do you have any reccomendations as far as lights go? hahah

I remember your pain all to well, and so does the plaster board walls in my room, my room was the holiest in the whole house.

I'm probably over reacting here, but I can't stress enough how I here about cases of malignant melanoma everyday, it's a painful degenerative cancer that sneaks up silently and literally bites you in the a**e. How and ever if your heart is set on getting a face tanner, take a quick look through google, you'll find some answers there.

If I were you I'd seriously see your GP before you consider it, he or she will be able to specify healthy doses of UV exposure etc.

oh ok. i guess i'll do that then. and suffer! hahah. i wish there was some other way! maybe i'll look into something else.. thanks !

hahahha i know. that's true too. i don't want to die from acne after all. this could be like more dangerous than accutane or something hahah. i understand!