Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hottramp

If makeup is causing my acne, can a healthy lifestyle even begin to help?

I've had acne for ages. I'm sick of it. Every day I spend forever putting on "my face" and this is getting pretty old. Plus I'm becoming more and more convinced that the makeup-mask that I put on every morning is a heavy contributor to my acne woes in the first place. HARUMPH.

As an experiment, I've been wearing a hat a lot lately so that I can avoid putting makeup on my forehead area. Interestingly enough, this area is slowly clearing (really nicely in fact). Meanwhile, the rest of my face is a total and complete war zone.

My issue is this : I can't not wear makeup. This is currently not a realistic option. I can certainly try another brand (although it seems they all give me trouble...) but this world is simply not ready to see my bare face in its present state.

So what I'm wondering is this:

If I were to adhere to a very strict healthy lifestyle, could this counteract the inflammatory/pore clogging effects of my makeup?

Or is my only option to treat my irritated skin externally (by changing the products used on my skin, ditching the makeup (eeep!), incorporating some retinoids/BP/BHA/whatever, etc. etc.)

I currently eat well (aka. low sugar, no dairy, low grains, lots of greens, all organic blah blah blah) and have been maintaining a healthy lifestyle for some time. I would be willing of course to get more serious with this if I believed it could be helpful, but I'm going to need to be inspired here!

All thoughts and opinions are totally welcome. and I'm sorry if this question seems stupid!

and of course...new makeup recs are MORE than appreciated :)

That's sounds good. I believe diet has a lot to do with acne. But, just because it sounds healthy, doesn't mean it is. If you have certain foods that break you out pay attention. Other than that, get serious with it. Real talk.

I was wondering about this too.

If I can treat acne internally, but external materials can clog pores and create acne as well, then we have to be aware of both sides.

Some people don't get acne as a symptom from their diet. Those people probably won't even get acne if you rub bacon fat all over their face. That means they will have other issues not concerning acne.

But for us, I think we must becareful both internally and externally. Maintain your healthy diet, but if your cosmetics are breaking you out, then STOP applying it. This is the reality: Food can break you out. Make-up can break you out. That doesn't mean other products will break you out. There are plenty of products out there, so try to find one that won't clog your pores

Unfortunately, make up isnt the only cause of acne so yes you could eat healthy and still break out. As you probably are quite aware, acne is caused by an overproduction of sebum, hormonal imbalances, weather, etc.

What type of make-up are you currently using?

#1 try and stay away from processed foods, including lunch meats, cheese, anything processed! When I wasnt taking anything for my acne it somewhat made my acne less inflammed and less red. Also try and stay away from salt. ha ha I know it sounds weird but just try it. Its not going to clear you up 100% cuz it didnt with me but it sure helped.

I would suggest not using make up for at least 3 months, let your skin heal, give it time, be patient.

hehe its easy for guys to say it. u don't wear make up anyway, but i see where ur going. i mean, it would be the best not to make up at all, i wish i didn't had to use it anyways.. but when everybody are used to see u with make up, u can't suddenly show up looking like a pizza face like i do atm :(:( i have the same problem, before i used liquid foundations ect,now i only use mineral make up, and take it off as soon as possible.

is mineral make up better than liquid?

Every morning I am sad when I put this shit on my face...but people stare at me all the time though I wear foundation, so what are they gonna do if I remove my make up??? Throw stones or what? drop dead??!

Though I'm not a girl, I understand where the girls are coming from about the makeup. But you'd be surprised at the number of people who do wear makeup. Like at my store where I work, I could say that 9 out of 10 women wear makeup...customers and co-workers.

Let's face it, we all want to look attractive (girls and guys). I'm not sure how makeup came about, but once you get started it's hard to quit. But at least girls can cover up their pimples. Guys can't...we have to bare it all (so to speak).

Makeup is fine if you have acne, even liquid foundation, so long as your purchase products that say 'non-comedogenic' or 'non-acnegenic' on the back of the bottle. Ultimately your the best judge on how your body works, and if you think make-up is breaking you out, then try and avoid applying it for a few days.

Though I'm not a girl, I understand where the girls are coming from about the makeup. But you'd be surprised at the number of people who do wear makeup. Like at my store where I work, I could say that 9 out of 10 women wear makeup...customers and co-workers.

Let's face it, we all want to look attractive (girls and guys). I'm not sure how makeup came about, but once you get started it's hard to quit. But at least girls can cover up their pimples. Guys can't...we have to bare it all (so to speak).

i know.. i wish i was the 1 of 10 not wearing it, cus im so sick of having to cover them up everytime i leave the house. i mean, im not ugly, it's just my frickin skin that ruins so much, if i didnt had this shit on my face i would never put on foundations ect , i hate it, and the nasty scars.. feels like a curse..

but the again i don't acne looks that bad on guys as it looks on girls. i mean, i barley notice it on others, okey i do if they have a lot, but it s not so bad if u now what i mean... but its probably the same with everyone, they dont mind others having it, but on our faces we notice the smallest blemishes..right??

as for the minerals, i think they have helped a lot, i mean i have to put on something, liquid gets so greasy at least on my face.. AAARGHH I HATE SEBUM GAAD :( my face looks really bad now, i was almost completly clear, the suddenly.. baam! i think it is cus i ate wheat (gluten) the other day.. well... now i have to wait till i clear again.. :( nd i doenst help that i've picked on them too :'( does anyone have a timemashine i can borrow?? blaahh.. :ninja: