Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Displaythis

Question for Second Course Users

Okay accutane failed me the first time. But it did decrease my oilyness by like 45%, but anyway, in two weeks i have an appointment with my dermatologist and i'm gonna beg her to put me back on the miracle drug. But i have a question for people in here who have gone on to take Accutane for the second time:

1. How many months after the first course were you prescribed the second course?

2. What was the initial dosage compared to the first? I heard they decrease it due to some accutane already being in your body

3. What were the side-effects compared to the first? Were the results much better than the first?

Thank you, i appreciate it.

1. How many months after the first course were you prescribed the second course?

3 months

2. What was the initial dosage compared to the first? I heard they decrease it due to some accutane already being in your body

My dose has been the same for each course - 40mg per day (I weigh about 50kg)

3. What were the side-effects compared to the first? Were the results much better than the first?

I'd say during my second course I've had slightly drier skin on my arms, ears and scalp. Nothing major though. The dryness of my face and lips has been about the same. I can't think of anything else that has differed.

My first course was 21 weeks and my second is 17 weeks. I have 2 and a half weeks left on my second course and my skin is way better now than even at the end of my first course. I'm basically clear atm.

3 months

My dose has been the same for each course - 40mg per day (I weigh about 50kg)

I'd say during my second course I've had slightly drier skin on my arms, ears and scalp. Nothing major though. The dryness of my face and lips has been about the same. I can't think of anything else that has differed.

My first course was 21 weeks and my second is 17 weeks. I have 2 and a half weeks left on my second course and my skin is way better now than even at the end of my first course. I'm basically clear atm.

why did you have to go back on accutane? is it because of just the oilyness or because u were breaking out? if so, how badly were u breaking out?

i just wanna know cause i wanna ask my derm about a second course for my oily skin...i breakout 1 a week

10 YEARS LATER!

2. What was the initial dosage compared to the first? I heard they decrease it due to some accutane already being in your body.

MY INITIAL DOSE THE 2ND TIME WAS 80MG/DAY, WHICH IS LOWER THAN MY DOSE OF 120MG/DAY THE FIRST TIME AROUND. HOWEVER, I DOUBT THIS WAS BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT I MIGHT STILL HAVE ACCUTANE IN MY SYSTEM 10 YEARS LATER - IT'S MORE LIKELY BECAUSE MY CURRENT DERMATOLOGIST IS FOLLOWING THE STANDARD DOSING PROTOCOL.

SO FAR, MY SIDE EFFECTS FOR THE FIRST & SECOND COURSES SEEM RELATIVELY EQUIVALENT.

I DIDN'T USE ANY LOTION OR MOISTURIZER AT THE BEGINNING OF MY FIRST COURSE, JUST SOME COCOA BUTTER ON MY LIPS. BUT THEN MY SKIN BECAME SO DRY AND IRRITATED THAT IT REQUIRED PRESCRIPTION MOISTURIZERS.

MY TWIN SISTER (WHO ALSO TOOK ACCUTANE IN HIGHSCHOOL) & I BOTH THINK THAT ACCUTANE MADE OUR SKIN (BOTH FACE & BODY) PERMANENTLY MUCH DRIER THAN IT WOULD HAVE BEEN IF WE HAD NEVER TAKE THE DRUG. NONETHELESS, MODERATELY DRY SKIN IS A LOT MORE MANAGEABLE THAN MODERATE TO SEVERE ACNE...

THIS TIME, I BEGAN USING MOISTURIZING FACE WASH, MOISTURIZING LOTIONS & CREAMS FOR FACE, BODY, EYES, BABY OIL EVERY OTHER DAY, AND AQUAPHOR FOR MY LIPS AT THE ONSET OF MY COURSE. AND WHILE MY SKIN IS STILL UNCOMFORTABLE (ESPECIALLY MY ARMS), IT IS NOT SO UNBEARABLE THAT I HAVE NEEDED THE HELP OF PRESCRIPTION CREAMS. I DO HAVE SOME MINOR JOINT PAIN THIS TIME, WHICH STARTED IN MY SECOND MONTH BUT IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL.

SO FAR, MY RESULTS HAVE BEEN GREAT IN TERMS OF CLEARING UP AFTER A SEVERE INITIAL BREAKOUT, BUT WE WILL HAVE TO WAIT & SEE ABOUT WHETHER OR NOT IT WORKS WELL LONG TERM.... THE FIRST TIME I WAS CLEAR FOR OVER 8 YEARS.