Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deadbeat007

Makeup recommendations

I'm on Accutane and have noticed that my makeup is looking really cakey whenever I apply it. I'm using a Cover Girl liquid concealer, but it settles in all my pores and looks completely obvious. I've tried Everyday Minerals, but it broke me out (though it may have been the Monistat primer I used. I'm afraid to use either product again). Any recommendations? Thanks.

Guest missyjean130

I'm going to be testing out my drugstore brands since mineral make up goes on like shit during tane. I'll get back to ya!

I was using an oil free foundation because I thought oily ones would make me break out, but yesterday I visited my dermo and he told me I could put axel grease on my face and I wouldnt get acne when on Accutane.

The best foundations are ones for dry skin, very liquidy ones. Dont go for heavy coverage, because they sit in the cracks and set solid but opt for ones that have light relfecting particles which stay kind of moist all day. Layer it up! I put on a layer then tap on a second layer of foundation, although you can see the acne lumps you cant see red spots or the redness in the lumps. Then use a brush or a sponge and apply foundation powder (not translucent) because foundation powder adds a whole lot of extra coverage.

I reccomend Napoleon Perdis, its about $70, but it's quality stuff. Although, I'm not sure if its available in the US.

Guest missyjean130

Just because someone is on accutane does not mean they can carelessly put whatever they want on their face. You can still break out from pore clogging products.Your derm is nuts.

Im pretty sure that when makeup sinks into pores like that, its because your skin is dry.

I think you should try....

1. Maybe something like "Philosophy". Its department store, but please ladies, stop saving on your skin! Anyway, thats what my derm recommended for me.

2. While I was on Accutane (a heavy dose), I used Estee Lauder Doublewear. This is a very unique foundation though. It isnt creamy, its more ...sticky-ish. I love it, but not everyone does. Pick up a few samples from a department store!

3. Dont put liquid makeup on your t-zone, where your pores are bigger. Put a powder there. It will take care of uneven skintone and whatever else you've got going on.

4. A pricey primer is the Smashbox primer in light (i think thats what its called). Its the clear-ish one. I used the green one and didnt really see a difference, but maybe it will help you with the pore problem. The light one is for sensitive skin.

wow that was all over the place! good luck!

Guest missyjean130
Im pretty sure that when makeup sinks into pores like that, its because your skin is dry.

1. Maybe something like "Philosophy". Its department store, but please ladies, stop saving on your skin! Anyway, thats what my derm recommended for me.

2. While I was on Accutane (a heavy dose), I used Estee Lauder Doublewear. This is a very unique foundation though. It isnt creamy, its more ...sticky-ish. I love it, but not everyone does. Pick up a few samples from a department store!

3. Dont put liquid makeup on your t-zone, where your pores are bigger. Put a powder there. It will take care of uneven skintone and whatever else you've got going on.

4. A pricey primer is the Smashbox primer in light (i think thats what its called). Its the clear-ish one. I used the green one and didnt really see a difference, but maybe it will help you with the pore problem. The light one is for sensitive skin.

Do you know if Estee Lauder Doublewear comes in freakishly white shades?

FREAKISHLY? Possibly not. Pretty damn white though!

Guest missyjean130

FREAKISHLY? Possibly not. Pretty damn white though!

Price? samples?

So powders work best if I have an uneven texture (large pores in areas, some dryness, etc.)? I'd just like something to fill in all the crevises while also concealing. If powders are best for this, what powders (besides Everyday Minerals) would you guys recommend?

when you have dry skin or flakes, powder really isn't the best. i would probably try like a tinted moisturizer or something light and layer. (i think someone else said this too.) if you insist on a heavier foundation, i love mac's studio fix fluid. it was awesome stuff that covered everything. you could also try mixing your minerals with a little moisturizer. i really haven't used liquid foundation in forever, and mac's was the only one i ever really remember liking. some of their other formulas weren't so great though.

Thanks for the MAC recommendation. My liquid foundation finishes kinda powdery, so I often find myself wishing for something more liquid-y and blendable. Is MAC's primer any good? I used Monistat's primer at the same time as I used Everyday Minerals, and I ended up getting an awful breakout - I'm not sure which product caused it, thugh. I've been hestitant about wearing primers ever since then, though.

Hello ladies

Estee lauders double wear has GREAT coverage and it stays on! That said I don't think I found the right shade for me since it was too apparent in day light. At night it looks great

I've heard great things about Lancome Tient Idole - ill prob give that a try if I don't like everyday minerals (ordered it but haven't received it yet)

Ill keep u posted!

you know, i've never tried a primer before.... i heard though that mac isn't the greatest. i'm trying to think back to what i've read on the boards... i think philosophy and monistat were the top choices.

Thanks for the MAC recommendation. My liquid foundation finishes kinda powdery, so I often find myself wishing for something more liquid-y and blendable. Is MAC's primer any good? I used Monistat's primer at the same time as I used Everyday Minerals, and I ended up getting an awful breakout - I'm not sure which product caused it, thugh. I've been hestitant about wearing primers ever since then, though.

MAC's Prep+Prime. hmm. Its confusing for me. I bought two bottles and used it ALL last year with the MAC Studio FIx Fluid. The 1st bottle I used end of summer and all of winter. In the winter it seemed to make my dry spots MORE dry. Then I used the 2nd bottle Summer of 08' and it made me oily faster during the day when I DID wear it. SO, I'm not so sure on that product.. But for now I'm only using Aloe Vera gel.

btw, Monistat broke me out too.. :(

The absolute best product you can use that is not very expensive is Clinique. They have a variety of different foundations..from powder to liquid, to tinted moisturizers. I use their Perfectly Real Makeup foundation. It goes on really creamy and then sets to an almost powder like feel. I use a translucent powder (blended face powder - Also by clinique) just to set everything. My makeup lasts all day! and I never look cakey.

Also it might be the moisturizer you are using. When I wear a moisturizer that it think and stick my makeup looks all weird and chalk like. You could also try a tinted moisturizer and then put a loose powder over the top that has a little color in it. That will give you moderate coverage.

I use cliniques makeup products religiously. They are cheap and the best quality! The girls at the counters will help you choose your type of foundation and they will match you with your color. They also teach you how to apply it so that it looks really smooth and natural.

When I was using mineral powder I could never find the right match and it broke me out like crazy!!! Just remember that your skin is really dry from the accutane so its so important to keep moisturized. Find a foundation that is really moisturizing to your skin. Go light on powder it just dries you out.

Good luck!

The absolute best product you can use that is not very expensive is Clinique.

clinique products aren't cheap, they are a higher end department store brand, and i also wouldn't say they are the highest quality. personally, i really don't like clinique products. i think they're medicore at best. please think before you make absolute statements like this.