Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lillies

From Accutane to Spiractin

I have been on Accutane forever but after nearly a decade I am officially off it!!

My new Dermo put me on Spiractin 25mg once every two days and so far so good.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has any experiences with this medication.

A decade?? Good lord. What dosage were you on? I've never heard of someone being on the drug for so long... I'm glad everything's going well, though!

hmm..thats interesting that u've been on accutane for forever. Were you on some sort of very low dose course?

As for Spiractin that you mentioned, I believe thats the equivalent of Spironolactone in the U.S? If so, you'll find lots of information about people's experiences with it in the Hormonal posts section.

Several derms prescribe it to women for hormonal acne. They usually start with low doses, such as 25 mg, and then do tests for potassium and to make sure your kidneys are handling it well, then up the dose if it is needed.

Hope this helps!

A decade?? Good lord. What dosage were you on? I've never heard of someone being on the drug for so long... I'm glad everything's going well, though!

I started from the usual 2x20 mg a day to 10mg every 3 days.

I was lucky not to experience any adverse side-effects though.

I am very happy to be off it nevertheless!!

hmm..thats interesting that u've been on accutane for forever. Were you on some sort of very low dose course?

As for Spiractin that you mentioned, I believe thats the equivalent of Spironolactone in the U.S? If so, you'll find lots of information about people's experiences with it in the Hormonal posts section.

Several derms prescribe it to women for hormonal acne. They usually start with low doses, such as 25 mg, and then do tests for potassium and to make sure your kidneys are handling it well, then up the dose if it is needed.

Hope this helps!

I was on 10 mg once every 3 days.

You are correct. This is low dose potassium.

Despite the fact that tests concluded my acne was not hormonal, this medication is working well for me so far... hope it stays that way...

Glad to hear you're doing well!

Many people with normal hormonal levels still respond to spironolactone. Sometimes your skin may be too sensitive even to normal levels of hormones and in this case spiro does help.

Good luck :)

hi, iam on 100mg of spironolactone a day and i am wondering how long it takes before you begin to see results, i am also curious of any side effects you may have experienced, i was diagnosed with PCOS earlier this year and my endocrinologist put me ont his medication combined with BCP,i am worried as to how this will effect my body... :think: any information would be great i have done some research online but thought i should ask some people with experience... thankyou