Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*Sorry for any typos or sloppy sentences you may find, I just wrote this strait through*

OK, I am in no way happy when I look in the mirror in the morning and I have a new pimple to add to the list of usually an ongoing 5 or 6 usually clustered around my chin/mouth area. I don't like how when I go to see my girlfriend at 6 pm and by midnight I have puffy white spots where the red spots were. But, with that said, I have grown to respect the life changes acne has forced me into.

Most importantly I am WAY more healthy than I have ever been in my life. I eat way better than any 18 year old I know. The main reason I stopped eating fattening foods and greasy foods was because of acne. Now when I think of pizza, or any type of burger, I am immediately turned off. I don't like fast food, sweets, any of that. It isn't that I am worried about acne so much so that it is because I just have grown to not even want it anymore. I also quit drinking sodas, and now am basically drink water, orange juice, and green tea. I am able to eat or drink anything regardless of taste. I don't think I've lost any sense of taste, it is just that I don't care as much. I am able to put less thought into it if I need to. This leads me into my next point:

Acne has contributed my understanding of my body and mind. I have experimented a lot with meditation, sleep, exercise, thoughts, and food (as mentioned above). I enjoy knowing how to put myself in a good mood on the spot. I enjoy not caring so much about what people think about me, which has a weird way of making people think better of you. I have learned to live WITH acne and with the ups and downs I have with it. I have experienced completely clear skin, which I had for the majority of my senior year of highschool. About midway through summer it returned and now I am one week in college with acne, but in a much better mind state then I have ever been before. Another great contribution acne has had on me is exercise. I have built a habit of weightlifting and running. No matter how bad my face looks (mostly chin) I am in way better shape than most. Whenever I feel bad about my face, I look at other people and realize I eat way better then they do and I am in way better shape.

So basically I am writing this not only for myself, but for those of you out there who have seriously tried all kinds of things with no avail. I have just finished a cup of green tea while writing this. Without acne, I would probably be drinking a coke. Long after acne has left my life, I will be left with a great healthy lifestyle it has helped me produce.

That's great to hear! Overcoming our own insecurities is one of the most difficult things for a man or woman to do.

I agree completely. Focusing on the direction of your life, and building healthy habits is a great way to shape the person you are. I admire what you wrote. Be careful of the yo-yo effect though! That's happened to me before. But now the weight is off for good.

even i think the same.even though i felt really like suiciding i think now that it actually helped me.i drink lots of water and also exercise regularly.some people even with perfect skin are unhappy with their bodies.

thanks for highligting the good side of acne :boohoo: :boohoo.

That's great to hear! Overcoming our own insecurities is one of the most difficult things for a man or woman to do.

I agree completely. Focusing on the direction of your life, and building healthy habits is a great way to shape the person you are. I admire what you wrote. Be careful of the yo-yo effect though! That's happened to me before. But now the weight is off for good.

Well I am only 18 so I like to think of 2 years of healthy lifestyle as a long time. I do think and hope it will stick.

even i think the same.even though i felt really like suiciding i think now that it actually helped me.i drink lots of water and also exercise regularly.some people even with perfect skin are unhappy with their bodies.

thanks for highligting the good side of acne :boohoo: :boohoo.

Yeah I am thankful that besides acne, I live a perfect lifestyle. Sometimes it can be hard to look past the acne though.

This is a great thread.

I firmly believe that all suffering has the potential to build character if you learn something from it.

Much like the OP said, because of acne, I now eat very healthfully, I take dietary supplements, I've quit smoking, I rarely drink alcohol, I avoid milk/sweets/soda/etc, I get at least 6 or 7 hours of sleep a night, and I try not to let myself stress out (as much as I can help it, anyway).

I am also practically qualified to be a makeup artist. I have mastered the art of the "natural look."

This is a great thread.

I firmly believe that all suffering has the potential to build character if you learn something from it.

Much like the OP said, because of acne, I now eat very healthfully, I take dietary supplements, I've quit smoking, I rarely drink alcohol, I avoid milk/sweets/soda/etc, I get at least 6 or 7 hours of sleep a night, and I try not to let myself stress out (as much as I can help it, anyway).

I am also practically qualified to be a makeup artist. I have mastered the art of the "natural look."

Personally, I think the best thing I've learned from my acne is mastering stress. I used to get stressed and just think there was nothing I could do about it. If only I could master the art of looking into the mirror and being happy for a new zit haha.