Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ashaaley

differin, clindamycin, and benzoyl peroxide

hi im ashley, i used to have moderate acne. about four years ago my dermatologist put me on benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin and it pretty much cleared up my skin. i would say my skin got to about 75% clear. i still had tons of blackheads on my nose and chin and i would get about two big pimples (cysts) a month and five small ones a month. it was a great improvment but a few weeks ago i decided i wasnt satisfied. i went back to my dermatologist for the blackheads and she perscribed differin 0.3%.

WEEK 1: i washed my face with benzoyl peroxide and used clindamycin every morning and differin every night. my face got more oily at first and then really dry and red on my cheecks

WEEK 2: wash my face with benzoyl peroxide every morning and alternate nights with clindamycin and differin. my face just got way too dry and would sting like crazy when i put the clindamycin on. so now my skin is a little less dry, but still flakey on my chin and sides of my nose. i hope this doesnt jinx it but i havent had a pimple since starting differin. my blackheads have been a bit easier to pop, i dont know if thats in my head or due to the new process. i havent had an IB yet, im hoping its bc my skin was pretty much under control to start, but its still early so i guess ill have to keep my figners crossed!

Welcome Ashley! I feel like I'm in a similar spot to you -- in that I had about as much acne as you describe (two cysts a month and some other minor stuff). I also tried clymdamycin -- though only for a few months, and then switched to Retin-A because I wanted fewer cysts. I'm now at the beginning of Week 8 and am (I hope) smack dab in the middle of my IB, and totally hating it. But I do have faith that things will get better. My skin is definitely changing.

I too started off slowly with Retin-A (at first every third day, then every second day, then after a month every day), which is why I think my IB is rather late. But just to give you a sense of how long things take.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and good luck!

thanks!! how similar are retina a and differin?

WEEK 3: my skin adjusted to differin every other day. my skin is no longer red and doesnt peel. im thinking of going back to using differin every day again. i havent had a big breakout yet. ive had little whiteheads and it might just be in my head but easier to pick blackheads. i really dont want an initial breakout. i guess only time will tell!!

WEEK 4: so yesterday i began using differin and clindamycin every day. so far my skin has been great with it. im not peeling again or anything. my skin is pretty clear right now, no pimples! (you know im going to wake up with one tomorrow bc of this post haha) but i still have tons of blackheads... i really really hope this stuff gets rid of the blackheads. i just dont know if its worht being on it otherwise. i guess i will see. if i never get any pimples anymore i guess its worth it. keep in mind i didnt get many anyways bc of the clindamycin. still no big initial breakout, this is about the time it happens right? at what point can i be certain im not going to have an initial breakout?

WEEK 5: so my skin is totally fine with my using all three medications the same day. my skin is not dry at all, closer to oily. i cant decide what the differin has done for me. i have only had one small pimple but i feel like my pores look like they are really open. i dont know if thats new. and i still have the same amount of blackheads. my dermatologist said it would take three months so i havent given up hope yet. the real test will be when i get me period. i want to see if i still get the typical breakout i get before it. if this differin prevents that then it will be worth being on it just for that.

I've been on differin 4 months, it's starting to work. Well, sorry it is working. I had tiny whiteheads not blackheads though. It took 2 months to see improvement, and at 4 it's working quite well. It takes a long time.

WEEK 6: well my skin was looking pretty good besides the blackheads so i decided to pick them which was a mistake. i forgot that your skin changes on differin and that it wouldnt be as durable. i have like five red marks on my chin now. also, my skin is starting to get dry again. not super dry, i just have moisturize. still no major pimples since ive been on differin. excited to see if i get a big pms one.

In my experience, if you pick or pop, you're condemning yourself to going back to square one. It definitely takes a lot of time and patience, especially with topical retinoids like Differin. Stick with it!

WEEK 7: so my new philosophy is just to stop picking. its really hard. i used to be a huge picker. my skin used to be able to tolerate it but it wont anymore. i just dont get how im supposed to get rid of the blackheads if i dont pick them. but picking them doesnt work because i just get a scab so ya. would getting a professional to pick it be good? or would i still get scabs? besides the blackheads my skin has been great. my mom comments on how rosy my cheeks look. but i wont be happy till the blackheads are gone, i dont know why they bother me so much but they do.

WEEK 8: well i got my period and had no hormonal breakout! sorry if that is too much info for some but that is a huge improvement for me! i always used to get horrible acne before my period and this time i got nothing yay! my skin is a bit dry though, but totally managable. i think my blackheads are still the same. i was good about not picking for a bit but i picked a lot yesterday. i think its safe to say i did not get an initial breakout from differin. so if you are reading this and are considering differin my best advice is go on a topical antibiotic like clindamycin a few weeks before!

WEEK 9: my skin is good. clear. still have blackheads. im not using clindamycin as much. i dont need to moisturize either anymore really. when i should i give up hope of my blackheads going away?

WEEK 11: i haevnt posted it two weeks, no one seems to care about my log lol! haha but ya my skin is still clear except for blakcheads. i got my first pimple since differin, it wasnt a bad one at all, it was gone in like two days... my skin still gets dry from the differin, i have to sometiems not use it for a night. but ya i am really happy with my experience with differin i just wish my blackheads would go away!

WEEK 12: wow i really have the most popular blog on this site!! anyways this time around i got two period pimples... tear... but they were pretty small, so i cant complain, better than before. i find myself not using clindamycin as much. just because my skin gets so dry. maybe after this tube ill ask my derm to switch to 0.1 differin instead of 0.3. i still have blackheads... i hate blackheads!!

WEEK 13: no pimples, same stuff.... just blackheads... at this point is differins full effect done? i hope not, im still holding out for my blackheas atleast decreasing. not that anyone cares...

WEEK 14: so i decided to add clean and clear blackhead control to my regimen (1%). i apply it once a day in the middle of the day to the areas on my face affected by blackheads, like my nose, cheeks and chin. its been like four days of that. no change yet. if someone happens to be following my blog its pretty obvious how much i hate blackheads. but i havent had any pimples!

I just started using clindamycin, my skin was still breaking out so my derm said to use differin at night and clindamycin in the morning. So far my skin has been unbelievaly dry!! i am trying to start only using differin twice a week until my skin gets used to it....however...i am replying to your post about blackheads...unfortunately i, myself, dont get many. However my pores get clogged and i see an aestetician every 4 weeks to get extraction and my skin is so smooth and most of my pimples all clear up!!! so i would say...talk to an aestetician about clearing up your blackheads...since they are a professional...then once they are cleared up ask her what you can do to keep your pores from getting dirt trapped in them.