Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Allison12

Anyone using topicals AND birth control?

I've been using two topicals for almost two years now: Benzaclin and Differin. The skin on my face has gotten a lot better, but it's still not great. Also, I still have bad acne on my chest and back.

If I don't use my topicals everyday, I get bad breakouts, so I'm afraid to stop using them altogether.

My doctor suggested once that I use birth control. Does anyone know if it's possible to take BC and use topicals at the same time? If so, is it a good or bad idea?

Thanks!

I use yasmin and proactive. yasmin brought me from inflammed acne to non inflammed and my jury is still out on proactive. There is no issue in mixing them. BC I feel is the biggest help of the root problem

I always did both BCP's and topicals, and at one point, sprionolactone as well. I felt like the BCP/spiro (and later, just yasmin) controlled most of the break-outs from happening, but if I did get something the topicals would take care of it quickly. I used Differin for a long time as well as Azalex.

Im taking birth control, and using retisol A topical cream.. My doctor never said they would interact with eachother. Haven't had any problems.

I'm taking Diane 35 for about a month, Proactive on my face, i wash my back with Spectrogel and i apply a Topical called Stevamicin on my back =)

So depending on what your doctor says, Topical plus Bcp should be fine ;)

I have still no results, buti hope it's coming soon =( !!! (My Mild-Moderate Bacne kills me !)

Great, thanks everyone - I think I'll try it.

I have one more question though - have any of you found that BC is more effective for certain areas of the body (ex. back, face, chest) than others?

Great, thanks everyone - I think I'll try it.

I have one more question though - have any of you found that BC is more effective for certain areas of the body (ex. back, face, chest) than others?

I find it works best for my face, pretty well for my scalp acne, and not quite as well for the body acne for some reason. I think my body acne is more related to the heat and sweating since I tend to get breakouts on my upper chest and back where I sweat a lot in the car when it is hot out.