Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SlLence

Lighting/Cameras/Mirrors

Okay, I am almost getting exhausted from my mood swinging around so much so fast.

The other day, I flirted with this hot girl and txted her and she was actually into what I was doing and asked about my plans and things like that so I was incredibly ecstatic.

I haven't had a decent girlfriend in a very long time. The fact she was so good looking is overwhelming.

Anyway. The next day I learn my senior pictures are scheduled which is now today. So I became worried about my acne, but from the mirror it doesn't look bad. In almost all mirrors I can live with it and I was becoming confident. No matter what the lighting I still looked good, and in most mirrors.

Now Senior pictures came. It was a nightmare. She showed me the pictures and the acne was so obvious, I just wanted to quit. It's funny too, because the first round of pictures were halfway nice, then when I saw how much acne was appearing on my face, and everything else that looked COMPLEETELY different from the mirrors, I died a little inside literally =.=

Makes me wonder what people actually see when they look at me.

So I want to know if anyone has noticed this? How the mirrors, even when close up, don't look all that bad no matter what the lighting, but then pictures come and it is just fucking asinine.

Which one do I even look like in real life? I don't even know.

Guest missyjean130

Another reason I'm glad to be in an online high school.picture day is TORTURE....

My old school did airbrushing...but then they just made my face look like plastic....I felt like microwaving a mouse.

But yes, under yellowish light I look decent in mirror...florecent lighting KILLS me.Then most cameras just destroy me.

But for me, its so strange its like some sort of curse.

Car mirror, Store mirrors, yellow and white light I look okay.

But that fucking camera, that camera just shattered me. We were picking out which ones were good which ones were bad, I just basically stayed out of it because I was so bias looking at my acne I wanted to delete them all.

I just don't understand why it is so different for cameras I didn't even look the same in those pictures it infuriated me.

EDIT: Can someone tell me why my face is starting to feel slight burning? On touch it feels like perfect skin, in the mirror it looks flat, not cracked nor dry just red in the occasional spot (NOTE: I have dealt with BP burning my skin before so I know what it looks like) but my skin looks like it normally does, but for some reason its been slightly burning.

I guess my acne has been improving lately, but for some reason although it shows no physical signs I feel a slight burn in some areas.

To be honest I will gladly deal with it and much worse if it means things will get better. But does anyone know why its doing this? I am using 2.5% SA and BP once in the morning once at night.

Another reason I'm glad to be in an online high school.picture day is TORTURE....

My old school did airbrushing...but then they just made my face look like plastic....I felt like microwaving a mouse.

But yes, under yellowish light I look decent in mirror...florecent lighting KILLS me.Then most cameras just destroy me.

Yeah, I learnt the reason for the lighting thing when I took up photography seriously years ago. Most skin imperfections are reddish and under a light which is red, yellow or orange (ie the same sort of colouring) they will reflect more light and appear paler therefore blending with the surrounding skin. Fluoro light is actually green (our brain compensates for this and makes it white) and red things will not reflect as much light when under it and will therefore appear darker and will contrast more with the surrounding skin... Ever seen someone blushing in a 7-Eleven...? Pretty noticeable! :redface: . It's damned annoying huh? I've attracted women when under yellow light, then repulsed them under less flattering light :doubt:

As for the cameras thing, much harder to say - could be the type of flash lighting, or the idea that we look at actual faces differently and more forgivingly than the way we look at photographs.

Interesting, that was my moms excuse but I didn't think she knew anything, neither parents had bad acne.

She said "well what do you expect with such a high power flash" because the pictures had at least bulbs aside from the camera flashing from different angles.

I got dominated =.=

Interesting, that was my moms excuse but I didn't think she knew anything, neither parents had bad acne.

She said "well what do you expect with such a high power flash" because the pictures had at least bulbs aside from the camera flashing from different angles.

I got dominated =.=

Actually, I'm pleased to tell you that you're mom's wrong :angel: The 'power' of the flash lighting isn't what does it, it's more the softness, harshness, angle etc of the light.

I know for myself that full on hard sunlight, of all things, directly in my face makes me look my best surprisingly. It fills in all the pores etc with light (if it's at the correct angle; otherwise it can suck if it's from the side...), also it gives me cheekbones :razz: .

I got dominated =.=

Actually, I'm pleased to tell you that you're mom's wrong :angel: The 'power' of the flash lighting isn't what does it, it's more the softness, harshness, angle etc of the light.

I know for myself that full on hard sunlight, of all things, directly in my face makes me look my best surprisingly. It fills in all the pores etc with light (if it's at the correct angle; otherwise it can suck if it's from the side...), also it gives me cheekbones :razz: .

Yeah actually same here, when I go out in the sun without a shirt when nobody is around, just for a little bit. It seriously does wonders for my back acne, I'm actually considering getting a sunburn on my back. Alot of people don't reccomend this at all, I know, but when my arms which each had acne on the sholder area got suburned... the acne has hardly even returned and is hardly even visible and that area is tan now.... Plus the acne on my back isnt even active so yeah.

But if anyone knwo why my face has been burning, from what I described above, your input is appreciated.

Also, thanks Jay for your input. It does make sense, but I think what she meant was how like bright as in that intensity such as a florescent light is pretty intense compared to a house light in that way.

I got dominated =.=

Yeah actually same here, when I go out in the sun without a shirt when nobody is around, just for a little bit. It seriously does wonders for my back acne, I'm actually considering getting a sunburn on my back. Alot of people don't reccomend this at all, I know, but when my arms which each had acne on the sholder area got suburned... the acne has hardly even returned and is hardly even visible and that area is tan now.... Plus the acne on my back isnt even active so yeah.

But if anyone knwo why my face has been burning, from what I described above, your input is appreciated.

Also, thanks Jay for your input. It does make sense, but I think what she meant was how like bright as in that intensity such as a florescent light is pretty intense compared to a house light in that way.

Oops, sorry, I didn't mean to get sun on your unprotected skin - I just meant that my face appears smoother and better-looking when viewed under that type of light :)

Sometimes I wish I could be someone else or see through their eyes so I could finally see what I look like in other peoples eyes.

But then again the whole concept of difference comes into mind since some of my friends and I have conversations about.. of how like tastebuds are different or if you see colors different.

Its really hard to explain like what you see as purple is actually red, but its purple because thats what people have told you your entire life.. you know what I mean? I dont know.. its really hard to explain.. and it doesnt actually have that much relevance other than people could see you differently... then how other people see you =s

But then again the whole concept of difference comes into mind since some of my friends and I have conversations about.. of how like tastebuds are different or if you see colors different.

Its really hard to explain like what you see as purple is actually red, but its purple because thats what people have told you your entire life.. you know what I mean? I dont know.. its really hard to explain.. and it doesnt actually have that much relevance other than people could see you differently... then how other people see you =s

No I get that, especially in the psychological sense where one won't really perceive the acne or associate it with you as much as others.

But I still am confused as to which light or which mirror is who I am. If its the camera I will just die.

I thought my skin had cleared up. I went into a public bathroom and man florescent lighting is the worst. Every single pored looked clogged and my face appeared really red.

George Carlin does a joke about florescent lighting saying when you look in the mirror you suddenly see every pimple you've ever had in your life time.

I thought my skin had cleared up. I went into a public bathroom and man florescent lighting is the worst. Every single pored looked clogged and my face appeared really red.

George Carlin does a joke about florescent lighting saying when you look in the mirror you suddenly see every pimple you've ever had in your life time.

Lol, thats what I am talking about though. You seem clear in one mirror, then... sigh.

No I get that, especially in the psychological sense where one won't really perceive the acne or associate it with you as much as others.

But I still am confused as to which light or which mirror is who I am. If its the camera I will just die.

Ah yeah I wish I knew that too. I see myself in the mirror in my room and Im like I look okay and then when I look in the truck mirror its like GAH!

And then in the bathroom of work its more like GAHHHHHH!

So I dont really know how Im seen and maybe in reality I'd rather live a fantasy.

The mirror / camera doesn't lie. What you see, is what you are - based on the light.

Do a simple experiment. Take a mirror with you to a florescent light room. You'll look like shit. Take it outside, you'll look bad. Take it to a nicely soft yellow light and you'll look much better.

Same goes with a camera. What ever are the lighting conditions, that's what it's going to show. And that's what people see.

My attic is all florescent lighting, so I took a camera and mirror up there. Looked in the mirror. Holy shit did I look bad. Took a photo. The photo also looked like shit.

Did the same thing outside. And in my bathroom (a light that makes me not feel like killing myself).

Also at work, out back is mainly florescent lighting and out back has a nice soft light. I saw this guy for the first time of the day out back, and thought to myself "Holy shit, his acne has got so damn better". However when we walked into the harsh florescent lighting, it looked the same again.

Anyway. Even though that's reality. I like to check my acne in soft lighting in the morning. Makes me feel slightly better about myself.

Well usually when people see you, it's in the natural sunlight right? So... don't be so freaked out when you don't look your best in pictures or under florescent lights lol ; I'm sure people see you better than you think you do :D Cheer up !

I skipped my senior pix because of acne.. so yeah i wasnt even in my yearbook thanks to it.

Co-sign =/ I didn't take my senior pic either cuz of acne. I do regret it everytime I look in my yearbook and find my name in the camera shy section. It sucks i feel u bro.

Well thats where its a little different for me. I don't look bad in almost all lightning anymore, including sunlight.

I actually think I am looking better since Ive been using these bp wipes, even though the acne amount is still there, I think it got rid of some of the redness or something, or I am fearing I am just losing my mind on whats good and bad anymore.

All I know is I look in most mirrors and although I still have mild to mod acne around my mouth, I think I still look good. But that camera.... Was like HD acne. Even acne that wasnt at the surface showed which killed me. People with cystic and very mod acne and up wouldn't even continue to take those after seeing them.

Thanks for the help though guys, really.

I have a 5x magnification mirror with bright "natural" light for this purpose alone. Florescent lighting is the worst, and will pick out every flaw you have, no matter how small...and like another member said, people see different things.

PS: It makes me wonder who your school used to shoot photos, many places do an overall "retouching." Is your school cheap? lol :D

Not to be too rude...but maybe you aren't very photogenic? What you see in the mirror is just a reflection of yourself (sometimes good, sometimes bad depending on the lightign)...but a camera is unforgiving. It shows all flaws...but also shows how your face shape and bone structure presents itself on film. Not everyone has a model-esque bone structure. I personally feel I look better in pictures than in real life...but my bone structure is just strong.

As for acne, I feel the worst under those harsh yellow fluroescent lights...and the best in natural sunlight. Also remember, you may scrutinize your face 2 centimeters from the mirror, but everyone else sees you from a bit farther away. And they notice the whole picture, not just your pores. =)