Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was on the DKR up until about 2.5 weeks ago when I had my first ob visit (I am pregnant.) I was told to discontinue the BP but was given the ok to go back on my category B topicals, which are Finacea and topical erythromycin. All I can say that between stopping the BP, the pregnancy hormones, and the use of Finacea and eythromycin, my skin looks like complete shit. I tried to add tea tree oil into my regimen and was told to stop that as well. I am at a point where I just want to give up the topicals since I don't feel like they are doing anything, but then again, it's only been 2.5 weeks. I was on that regimen for a long time before I did DKR because I was trying to concieve and the derm was being conservative with me. I didn't feel like it did much then either. What would you do? Would you keep using the Finacea and topical erythro, or give them up and see how it goes without them? I have a derm appointment at the end of this month.

BTW- I didn't know where else to post this, so sorry if it is in the wrong section.

This is the right forum for this - and people will respond, I promise. Sometimes we have a rather slow day on the boards and replies don't happen as fast as we'd like. I couldn't give you a good answer - I've never been on any oral medications for acne and have no idea, but I'm sure someone out here does!

I'm sorry I don't know what to say because I'm not familiar with the treatments you mentioned.

Aint it sad that everyone always talks about the pregnant woman glow, yet some are stuck with horrible acne from horemones and the like?

But either way congratulations! I'm sure the baby will be well worth suffering through the acne.

i would say at least keep on with them, if there's nothing you can change them to that might be more effective. you never know just what they're actually managing to hold back, i thought at the start of this year that because i was getting spots, the bp i was using wasnt working, but when i stopped it got so much worse than i thought it could, so the same could be true for you, the finacea and topical may actually be helping, however little.

maybe you should look into some of the more natural cures on the board and experiment with them? like aspirin masks, acv, diet changes, that sort of thing? i honestly think there should be someway for you to lessen your acne without having to use bp, so many others have managed. and above all, try to stay positive, just get through the pregnancy and then you will have a lovely new baby and can start back up on the dkr once more. good luck!

Thanks for the responses! Well, I stopped both topicals. All I am doing it washing with Cetaphil Daily Cleanser, following with Clnique level 3 toner, and a tiny bit of DKR moisturizer in the morning only. I'm clearing up, but it may have more to do with my hormones than stopping the Finacea and erythromycin. I was drinking ACV in my water a few times a day, but I can't tolerate it now that I'm pregnant. I thought about trying it topically, but I think I'll wait and see how things go with what I'm currently doing first.