Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
finzy

Is it fair to say the regimen doesn't work....

Is it the regimen or not?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use only the DKR and nothing else and have you had luck with it?

• I only use DRK products, follow the directions, and no other products, and have had luck.
    • I only use DRK products, follow the directions, and no other products, and have NOT had luck.
    • I use some DRK and some other products and have had luck.
    • I use some DRK and some other products and have NOT had luck.

I keep reading posts from people who say the regimen doesn't work -but then I listen to what they're using and it's 20 different products, maybe one of Dan's. So how can they say they're using the regimen? Am I missing something? Do we just call wash/bp/moisturize in any combination "the regimen"? And is that fair to Dan and his products?

For me, I'm using nothing but Dan's stuff and the recommended AHA and I'm having pretty good luck - after acne nearly all my adult life - I"m seeing a huge reduction. I'm currently waiting to see how I make it through my 2nd month on this. Mid cycle (I'm a girl) is when I have the worst problem and I want to see if it's less then.

There are other products besides Dan Kern's you can be use and still "officially" be on the regimen.

If you notice, there are several recommended products for the regimen that you can use in place of Dan's, for whatever reason (you can't order stuff online, you simply prefer them, etc).

The general idea behind the regimen is using a gentle non-medicated facewash, a 2.5% BP, and an effective moisturizer that does not clog pores. All of these are to be applied gently and given time to dry between the next step. 100% jojoba oil and an AHA lotion are optional. Where it gets tricky is when people think a certain product is okay to use in place of a recommended one, but upon closer inspection it isn't. Or they want to continue using their harsh toner or exfoliating scrub in addition to the DKR steps and then wonder why their face is so irritated.

When I was on DKR, I used all recommended DKR products and I had good results with them. I also followed the instructions to the letter initially, but with time I modified them to fit my life & needs (ie. less waiting time between products. Some people want to modify things from the getgo, and that can compromise their results.

I agree that many people do not follow the regimen exactly, and then they complain of poor results. Most of the time, they are using products that are not recommended or are cutting corners to decrease the time of the regimen.

I think it's important to start out properly and it give it a fair shot. As time goes by, then many people adjust it to their individual needs successfully, but not until they are clear & know that it works.

There are other products besides Dan Kern's you can be use and still "officially" be on the regimen.

If you notice, there are several recommended products for the regimen that you can use in place of Dan's, for whatever reason (you can't order stuff online, you simply prefer them, etc).

yes, I meant that too. :) the "official products" or the products that are recommended can still all be called "being on the regimen".

Its when I see people saying that they're using 20 different items and they still say "I'm on the regimen and I'm having no luck" I think that's unfair to Dan's products.

I, for one, can't order the official acne.org products for the time being, but I'm using similar products that I've bought at the store. I'm still following the gentle cleanse/2.5% BP/moisturize format though, so I consider myself to be on The Regimen, and it's been working just fine for me.

Its when I see people saying that they're using 20 different items and they still say "I'm on the regimen and I'm having no luck" I think that's unfair to Dan's products.

Yeah, and another problem is when they do it for a few weeks and then quit. It can take months before you see results; any skin regimen should be given 12 weeks before expecting results.