Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey guys, I have never tried an electric shaver, but I'm goin on a trip next week, and I need to get one. Can someone give me tips on what brand/type to get and if it's better than regular shaving. Also, Do I have to use shaving cream? Thanks.

You don't need shaving cream... i find an electric shaver is faster and less irritating, also less messy... get one that preferably is for sensitive skin or is sensitivity-configurable. It works well.

I don't think an electric shaver would be wise for you in this situation if you have never used one before. Your skin will take a few weeks to get used to it, and in the meantime your skin will feel like its on fire. It won't necessarily produce any visible irritation, red marks, etc, but it will be uncomfortable untill you get used to it. On mine, the label specifically said wait 3 weeks of use before you judge its shave and comfort level of it.

That being said, your shaver choice depends on budget. You can get some fairly cheap models like $40-50 all the way up to $200. I use a Norelco (also called Philishave in some countries) Reflex action unit that I bought a few years back for $70 or so. The newer Norelco Spectra model, that you can rinse under water for easy cleaning is more but may be worthy of checking out.

Check out http://iavbbs.com/gflinn/ it is the acne.org equivalent of electric shavers. Some brands/models have a 2 month money back guarentee so that may be something to look out for.

I don't think an electric shaver would be wise for you in this situation if you have never used one before. Your skin will take a few weeks to get used to it, and in the meantime your skin will feel like its on fire. It won't necessarily produce any visible irritation, red marks, etc, but it will be uncomfortable untill you get used to it. On mine, the label specifically said wait 3 weeks of use before you judge its shave and comfort level of it.

That being said, your shaver choice depends on budget. You can get some fairly cheap models like $40-50 all the way up to $200. I use a Norelco (also called Philishave in some countries) Reflex action unit that I bought a few years back for $70 or so. The newer Norelco Spectra model, that you can rinse under water for easy cleaning is more but may be worthy of checking out. 

Check out http://iavbbs.com/gflinn/ it is the acne.org equivalent of electric shavers. Some brands/models have a 2 month money back guarentee so that may be something to look out for.

I haven't tried the wet electric shavers yet. My original electric was a Remmington brand with 3 foil screens. It has been years since I used it but I recall not liking it very much.

The screens may provide a closer shave then the 3 circle head styles but its marginal and they are a bit more irritating in my experience. The Norelco Spectra line is neat because the heads combine slots like the reflex action heads with holes like a screen type. If I were to buy a new shaver it would probably be a Spectra.

Braun has a neat screen type shaver as well, the stand also works as a cleaner. You dip the head of the shaver in this solution and leave it there. The base agitates the solution and cleans the shaver. So the next time you use it, the shaver is clean and ready to go.

Just another thing you may want to watch out for.... For the Norelco line at least, say the Spectra series shavers, if you find a bunch of Spectra models, they are all essentially the same. They have the same cutting system, but add fancy bells and whistles like charging indicators and displays to make them much more expensive (Last I remember looking the base Spectra model I found for $130 while the fancy James Bond edition was like $200).

The philishave quadra action ones are good.

If your skins anyway way sensitive or dry,an electric shaver isnt for you though.

If you have a light stubble thats easily removed then it would work fine.

People with very heavy beards that use an electric tend to have the 'black look' on their face.

I sometimes use one,but for me to be able to use one,my skin would have to be very clear to get the best out of it.

i use a philips one, water proof and it works well... didn't have any redness or any irritation from starting to use it either (its my first electric shaver... but been using it for 2 years or so now).