Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sgxyo3man

Scared to go non-organic.

I'm moving out of the parent's house tomorrow and I'm more afraid than anything of the new food that I will have to eat in order to survive. I'm going to switch from a Whole Foods to a Safeway (comparatively speaking) for sustenance. I was wondering from all of you expert shoppers out there if you could give me some tips on how to stay healthy and clear even at the traditional market. Are there real organic (cheaper) groceries to be found at these places? Should I just eat the same things, but not organic? This will only last for a few months until I can get my school loan and what not. Any advice would be really helpful and if you think you have this "cheap shopper" deal down pat, send a pm my way with what you do and I can even tweak it to my desires. Thanks in advance!

I see you live in santa cruz. I know there is a farmers market so you should be able to get good organic produce there. Look into a co-op, your growing season lasts for a while so frmers should have fresh organic produce for a few months still. Also I know there is a Trader Joe's right downtown(i lived in APtos for few months like a year ago). Otherwise fruits and sweeter foods generally have more pseticides. Stuff like cauliflower and broccoli are much lower in chemical residues. I personally wouldnt sweat organic too much. If its not an option, oh well. Just wash your stuff real good. A quick soak in some ACV and lemon juice and then a good rinse should help a lot.

I suggest just giving up on "fresh" supermarket produce. I can't remember the last time I wasn't disappointed with a piece of fruit I bought from Target or Kroger. Things like pre-bagged carrots are okay, but everything else always tastes bleh to me. Farmers markets are an alternative, like sleaman said. Frozen produce is also a good option, as the food doesn't have to go through the pesticide application and careless shipping/handling like "fresh" produce does.

And as always, just make sure you make good food choices. A cut of meat is still much better than bacon or hot dogs, even if it's not organic.

Buy bulk where possible. If you can go to places like Costco and buy a lot of what you know you'll be using regularly throughout the year, you'll end up saving a lot of money. This includes household cleaners, vitamins, beauty/health products, and frozen food. A lot of what they carry is good stuff, but you have to buy a lot of it at once. In addition, I know where I go to school, the smallest supermarket chain tends to have the best produce because it tries to find the freshest, locally grown foods. More local chains have more incentive to invest in the community and support local growers. Try to buy fruit that is in season since it tends to go on sale more often and is probably fresher. When you buy food out of season, it's traveling a long distance and is probably going to be fairly flavorless anyway.

Farmers markets are more expensive than the whole foods markets here.

Also, I'm very afraid of non-organic meat because I grew up on it and with all of the added hormones and what not, I don't want to revert back to my old self once again (it's been only a few years since I've been off of it).

In addition, I know where I go to school, the smallest supermarket chain tends to have the best produce because it tries to find the freshest, locally grown foods. More local chains have more incentive to invest in the community and support local growers. Try to buy fruit that is in season since it tends to go on sale more often and is probably fresher. When you buy food out of season, it's traveling a long distance and is probably going to be fairly flavorless anyway.

Limiting meat is probably the first step you want to take to save money. Meat is expensive even if you are not buying organic, and even more if you want to buy the most popular cuts of organic meat. The best thing to do is to buy meat in bulk when what you want is on sale and freeze what you can't eat immediately. The regular price of a non-organic steak at my local grocery store is $11/pound! Organic is probably twice that, if not more. For that you can buy a whole variety of other proteins in much larger quantities and include the fresher, local produce.

For that you can buy a whole variety of other proteins in much larger quantities and include the fresher, local produce.

Interesting. Please list some of these "other proteins".

Farmers markets are more expensive than the whole foods markets here.

Also, I'm very afraid of non-organic meat because I grew up on it and with all of the added hormones and what not, I don't want to revert back to my old self once again (it's been only a few years since I've been off of it).

In addition, I know where I go to school, the smallest supermarket chain tends to have the best produce because it tries to find the freshest, locally grown foods. More local chains have more incentive to invest in the community and support local growers. Try to buy fruit that is in season since it tends to go on sale more often and is probably fresher. When you buy food out of season, it's traveling a long distance and is probably going to be fairly flavorless anyway.

My goal is to live cheaper. I know that these smaller markets that search out fresh produce slap big price tags on them. Same with farmer's market. These wouldn't be viable options for me seeing as how these small stores and venues are aimed at supporting small organic farmers. That's where the well off come in to play. I'm not one of them unfortunately... but there are many in this area.

There are meats no Hormones...

the one i buy is 100% Vegetarian , no homornes etc

Chicken breast is what i buy.. gonna try turkey.

Just think of what vegetarians eat for protein- beans, soy products like tofu/hummus, eggs, nuts, cheese. Supplement this with occasional smaller servings of chicken and fish, which are typically far cheaper than red meat unless you're talking the more exotic seafood, and you've got a fairly well balanced diet. Once you start to add any sort of red meat and pork, your food costs are going to skyrocket.

Hey guys a couple of question!!

When you say frozen foods, are u talking about vegetables ?

Wouldnt they have the same, perservatives in them as processed veggies?

WHAT do you mean frozen foods?

Besides obviously meats, I am tallking about veggies,or produce that you guys are mentioning?

Also, do you have to eat meat for protein..?

Because I am loving my eggs for my protein, however I am afraid,of the cholesterol levels ext..

I cant do soy..I dnt know about tofu, what is tofu?

Would beans be a good replacement after my digestion is backl to normal?

Thasnks guys!

I just wanted to say this is a great question! With our whole economy in the sh**er everyones having a rougher time paying for food. Especially students, and people who cant find jobs.

Im right there with ya, my school messed up my student loans and I havent gotten any in months, I now only have 87 bucks to my name and have been buying regular cheap food (no more trader joe's even) but get like a weird feeling whenever i eat some regular strawberries or whatever you know, like its gonna be bad for me. Which is itself bad I know, our perception of whether something benefits us or not affects whether it does!!

anyway i havent gotten any job yet, so next stop- dumpster diving.

You know guys, everythings gonna change when the new administration gets into office this January, and its VERY probable that the farmer and government subsidies for food are going to be totally overhauled.

Meaning everyone realizes how unfair it is and unhealthy the system is set up, and they'll subsidize local produce farmers, and not subsidize corn (for corn syrup) or other stuff we dont need to be cheap anymore. Then produce will be cheap, and unhealthy food will be expensive.

Preservatives are typically used to get the food from the farm to your table. Freezing is the other alternative to preservatives, so you wouldn't need to add all these coatings and whatnot to the produce if it's going to be picked and frozen immediately.

If you can't do soy, tofu isn't going to be the right choice for you. You should be able to incorporate eggs into your diet with no problems as long as you are maintaining a diet low in saturated/trans fats. Other foods that can help keep your cholesterol in check are olive oil, oats, walnuts, and pecans. Most nuts/seeds are also great protein sources that you can easily sprinkle onto a salad to add some more protein. Certainly beans and chickpeas are also good meat replacement sources.

^^I know valentian12..

What are the middle class that are trying to do the healthy organic thing,going to do?

This is scary, scary as hell!!

I guess we really need to consider, buying our seeds, and growing the veggies our self..buying organinc soils ext...I am not kidding, I have been worrying about this foreal.