Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RebeccaDeWinter

Do you think this Zinc supplement by Twinlab contains soy, dairy or gluten? read on please

Twinlab Zinc Caps 30 mg with zinc gluconate and picolinate, these are the added ingredients:

Gelatin, Purified Water, MCT, Magnesium Stearate

also, what do you think of the combo with gluconate and picolinate? TY

I just learned a few weeks ago that magnesium stearate is a hydrogenated fat. It makes enough sense (stearate / stearic acid), but I always assumed that it was just a form of magnesium, and, if anything, would be helpful, not harmful.

It's added to supplements as a lubricant of sorts, to make it easier on the machinery that makes it. However, stearic acid greatly reduces the amount of supplement that can actually be absorbed. (I can source this statement if anyone wants.)

I wouldn't worry about microscopic amounts of soy, dairy, and gluten in supplements. They will only negatively affect you if you have an actual allergic reaction to them; otherwise, you would need to eat large amounts of them (like in a piece of bread or in a cup of milk) for them to do anything.

I just learned a few weeks ago that magnesium stearate is a hydrogenated fat. It makes enough sense (stearate / stearic acid), but I always assumed that it was just a form of magnesium, and, if anything, would be helpful, not harmful.

It's added to supplements as a lubricant of sorts, to make it easier on the machinery that makes it. However, stearic acid greatly reduces the amount of supplement that can actually be absorbed. (I can source this statement if anyone wants.)

I wouldn't worry about microscopic amounts of soy, dairy, and gluten in supplements. They will only negatively affect you if you have an actual allergic reaction to them; otherwise, you would need to eat large amounts of them (like in a piece of bread or in a cup of milk) for them to do anything.

so it's not ok to eat a piece of bread if u r not sensitive to gluten?

so it's not ok to eat a piece of bread if u r not sensitive to gluten?

I don't advocate eating most commercial bread, but no, that's not what I meant. I meant that if you are sensitive to gluten, you shouldn't be eating entire pieces of bread. However, you don't need to worry about tiny amounts of gluten unless you're a celiac, which is unlikely.