Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Boozle 1983

spiro not working, what's next?

hi all,

Like you, i feel pretty cheated that at 25 I have still have to worry on a day to day basis what state my skin is in.

Brief history; started getting moderate acne at 19, only ever on my chin/jaw - big painful spots and small cysts that last 3-4 days before coming to a head. After a year I went to the doc who gave me topical a-biotic which helped 50%. I was then put on Diannette for 2ish years which helped more, but I came off it in 2005. Then Proactive saved my arse for another year before it stopped working.. grr.

I started Spiro March 2007, and it has really reduced oil on my skin, but not produced the long-term results I was hoping for. I've been on 150mg for many many months now, and haven't had a period in over a year which is sort of worrying!

Anyway, for the last 2 weeks i've had big sore spot after bog sore spot appear, and i'm looking for the next thing. Been to a derm once and he suggester Accutane, but there's no way I can cope with 6 months of worse skin (i've never scarred).. so i'm thinking Anti-biotics are my last hope? or should I go back on Dianette? Can I combine a BC pill with Spiro? What's the best?

I'm just so depressed about it all...

Any advice would be welcomed

thanks so much for listening :surprised:

I took BCP with spiro for a couple of years and then eventually changed to Yasmin BCP only. Worked pretty well for me when I was on it.

Hi there!

sorry to hear you haven't gotten the results u want with spiro - I've been on it for only 2 months without too much improvement and since my acne has risk of scarring I decided to start accutane at a low dose (I'm staying on spiro because my endocrinologist want me on it to help with hair loss due to PCOS)

Anyways I'm rambling - sorry

Why don't u try adding a BCP? I was taking diane 35 with the spiro and a lot of people see results with yasmin/yaz

U can also discuss low dose tane with ur physician - I took a 20mg course last year (I'm 125Ibs) with excellent results but was only in remission for about 7 months unfortunately. Hopefully course number 2 will do the trick!

Best of luck to u!

i would definitely go back to dianette,if i were you. if its worked for you in the past and all. or do a combination like the last person said. an anti-biotic and dianette combination maybe? i did this with dianette and erythromycin and it worked really well,then came off the anti-biotic and remained on dianette and its kept my skin clear for well over a year now. those big spots you have currently wont go away instantly though,but the dianette (or any bcp i suppose lol) will prevent them from coming back again,which is always a good thing :D

all the best xx

thanks guys, useful stuff.

I will talk to my GP about Dianette/antibiotic combo and see what she says. I did put on a bout 10lb in weight when on dianette, so that will suck if it happens again, but i guess its all about compromise...

sunrise - did you have terrible breakouts at any point during your low-dose accutane?

thanks guys, useful stuff.

I will talk to my GP about Dianette/antibiotic combo and see what she says. I did put on a bout 10lb in weight when on dianette, so that will suck if it happens again, but i guess its all about compromise...

sunrise - did you have terrible breakouts at any point during your low-dose accutane?

Hi Boozle,

I thankfully never had a really bad IB with tane but looking back, my acne was not that bad to being with. I didnt have any huge sideffects either, except the dryness and some hair thinning.

I think that with the lower dosages, you dont get as bad of a breakout as with the higher ones

Im on Day 5 of another low dose course so will keep you posted as well

Best of luck to all of us!