Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
J-Dog

Gluten-Free, Acne-Free!!! Very exciting stuff :-)

As recommended by my holistic naturopath, I have been on a gluten-free dietfor about a month. (Gluten is a protein that causes inflammation, including inflammed acne and many other problems, in sensitive people.) Apparently, it takes 3-6 months to experience the full effects of a gluten-free diet, but I noticed changes within days. My skin cleared up! However, I experienced some flare-ups during pms/my period, but the Proactiv worked immediately, now that my skin is no longer inflammed because of gluten. My asthma was gone within days also. It's awesome!

I have eliminated wheat, rye, barley, and oats, except gluten-free oatmeal.

What I eat: veggies, fruits (not citrus), nuts, seeds, brown/bismati rice, pasta and bread without gluten, quinoa, lean meat/fish (a bit, may not eventually), almost no dairy, flaxeed meal, tofu/tempeh (new to my diet and in limited quantities), soy cheese and yogurt (limited, the yogurt is too sweet, so I may cut), eggs (cage free, veggie fed, good for Omega 3s), herbal teas, filtered water, almond milk, almond butter

(The naturopath recommended that I avoid soy, but I am considering going vegetarian in the future. I am trying to work in tofu and tempeh gradually and remove meat. I am not sure I can do it. I like meat. We shall see.)

Fun food: I have made gluten-free brownies (with added chocolate chips and walnuts), chocolate chip cookies, and pizza. Brownies and cookies are delish! The pizza is a bit spongey but good.

Supplements: Multivitamin, Vitamin D, Selenium (in Brazil nuts), Vitamin C, Turmeric capsule, Probiotic capsule, Green Foods Powder as drink in water, Immune System-balancing concoction, Fish Oil (liquid), Calcium with Magnesium and Vitamin D

Soy decreases inflammation--naturally. But, be careful, there are issues with estrogen.

Turmeric decreases inflammation--naturally.

Sunflower seeds reduce inflammation AND provide all kinds of nutrients. I want to try sunbutter soon.

Almond butter has far more calcium than peanbut butter, by the way.

If you are interested, go to The Food Philosopher website for info on inflammation and gluten-sensitivity and how to eat, cook, and bake gluten free.

In addition, Trader Joe's, Wegman's, Kings, Whole Foods, and many other stores have plenty of gluten-free products. Restaurants are quite accomodating also. All you have to do is ask and explain.

wow ya gluten free does help

but have fun losing 20 pounds

im trying gluten free to man and its soooo tough.. everything has wheat flower or whole oats and malted shit...

how the hell do u make gluten free stuff or know if its gluten free... how can oatmeal be gluten free if its "OAT" meal.... theres no getting around the oats

thank you for that post, I found some really useful information. I live in Beijing and as some of you may know, its really hard to get gluten free food and organic food in this corner of the world. I have found these guys oway.com.au and they provide a very good and fast service out of Australia. I would also like to know if there are any other suppliers near my region.

I stumbled on this site and read your post about gluten and yes. I have had a long, long battle with acne too but have been gluten free and subsequently acne free for nearly a year now. No question gluten was my problem, however I don't think I have always been this way, only after 15 years of antibiotics, (tetracyline, minocin, etc.). I think the antibiotics have ruined my natural flora balance in my stomach but have not been to a doctor for verification.

Also, gluten free is becoming much more known in restaurants, grocery stores etc., and I am enjoying my diet as its a small price to pay for clear skin (for me anyway). One thing I may comment on about your diet is that you are still consuming dairy. I would stay away from all dairy products except eggs for a while and see if your skin is even better. Dairy and acne go hand in hand.

Anyway, good luck on your diet and many healthy wishes for your skin.

Oh, also I forgot to mention your green food powder probably is not gluten free as wheat grass is not gluten free no matter what anyone tells you. I went a month on that stuff before I realized it was causing acne. And soy cheese is probably not gluten free either. I have experimented with every thing out there in the dietary world and gluten free is difficult at first but it gets easier over time.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Gluten free works wonders for me. I am not going lectin free as well. From my understanding lectins cause white cell division, clogging pores. Peanuts, Kidney Beans, and Tomatoes have really high levels of lectins.

I now eat lean meat, veggies, some fruits, green smoothies, tuna/salmon, and supplements. You dont have to lose 20 pounds on this diet, you can actually gain weight, just eat your protein.

Sweet potatoes are awesome for skin, and we can eat em on this diet, great source of carbs.

Just wanted to mention that if certain people don't see the results they want after being on a gluten-free diet for several months, they might want to look into hypo or hyper thyroidism. Thyroid disease commonly runs in families with Celiac Disease. Thyroid problems are one of the most common health problems in the US and one of the most underdiagnosed.

The blood test offered to detect thyroid problems rarely works and only shows extreme cases (doctor's don't mention this part). So diagnosis is usually done by the patient by researching the disease and seeing if they have them. Also, there is a temperature test (take your temperature every morning for four days to see if it is lower than an average).

Research is showing that acne also is a symptom of hyperthyroidism as well as hyperthyroidism.

Take into account family members who have the symptoms because thyroidism runs in families.

SYMPTOMS:

Hypothyroidism

- Feeling chilly in "normal" temperatures

- Cold hands and feet

- Dry skin (flaky skin on face, around nail bed)

- Abnormal menstrual cycle

- Excessive shedding of hair

- Long ridges down the nails

- Low stomach acid (hypochlorhydria)

- Fatigue (but excessive energy during childhood, adolescence and early 20's)

Note: Although it is common to be overweight with hypothyroidism, there are many people who are normal weight or underweight.

Hyperthyroidism:

- Heat intolerance

- Nervousness

- Insomnia

- Fatigue

- Fast heart rate

- Warm moist skin

- Light or absent menstrual periods

The female to male ratio for thyroid problems is 7:1. If you are male and think you have a thyroid problem and fit all the symptoms, don't let doctors talk you out of it as they frequently do.

If you think you fit one of these catagories, do your research! I wish you the best of luck!

Edited by Dotty1

did anyone have a really serious purging reaction after going gluten free? I went gluten free to help my mild acne and a month later i developed severe severe acne, that is just starting to get better now (6 months later). I am too scared to try eating gluten and see how i react. It may have been a coincidence..idono

After you went gluten free, did you eat a whole lot of soy? That may be more the problem. Soy causes hormonal imbalances (thus acne) in A LOT of people!

Interesting thread. I have chronic hives (dermatographism) and have heard that gluten can be a key trigger. I'm working on cutting out gluten from my diet (except for Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Oatmeal in the AM - YUM). I hope this helps with my skin as well. I have had pretty bad hormonal acne on my cheeks/chin but it's been under control w/ Yaz for the past few years and Yasmin the past month. I am considering quitting the pill and working on diet/holistic/other options on clearing my skin since my husband and I want to start trying for a family eventually.

What recipe did you use for the cookies and brownies?

Thanks!

I think gluten free is a very helpful thing in combating inflammatory acne, but it isn't for everyone. Lets face it, all these miracle food cures people preach don't work for everyone because everyone has different tolerances and intolerances

I had a very expensive food panel done that is controversial called the ALCAT test but when I got the results it said I had a severe intolerance towards wheat and gluten products. For someone who had cystic breakouts every day for weeks and months without fail and despite the many remedies I tried, I decided to give gluten-free a go. After week 1, I don't think I had ANY more cysts. Pretty amazing stuff. we'll see how this continues.

Edited by nightraid3r

wow ya gluten free does help

but have fun losing 20 pounds

im trying gluten free to man and its soooo tough.. everything has wheat flower or whole oats and malted shit...

how the hell do u make gluten free stuff or know if its gluten free... how can oatmeal be gluten free if its "OAT" meal.... theres no getting around the oats

Yes, I did a gluten free/wheat free diet on and off this last year, and since December have finally resorted to being gluten free. Not only has my acne stopped and the huge random cysts that came, but my joints (knees, elbows, ankles, wrists) are no longer inflamed and incredibly sore. I no longer struggle with something I would call IBS- chronic constipation AND diarrhea. My system feels restored. I have loads of more energy. And yes, I dropped about 8 pounds initially (I also cut out dairy), so now I'm down to a little 110 pounds.

Basically, the only safe way to eat gluten free food is if it says it on the product. I even buy vegan butter that is gluten free. And 100% oats do not contain any gluten in themselves. The problem comes when oat is stored in silos that have also contained wheat and other grains. So, there are 100% gluten free oats like the "irish oats" or something like that, that are safe. If you have a wholefoods store or health food store near you, you are more likely to find gluten free foods there. Quinoa is corn based, and is used to make all kinds of gluten free pasta, etc. I eat gluten free pasta almost everyday. You can also get brown rice pasta, but I don't think it's as good as quinoa. There are also brown rice breads that are more filling and satisfying than normal bread. So...there are A LOT of options :)

Interesting thread. I have chronic hives (dermatographism) and have heard that gluten can be a key trigger. I'm working on cutting out gluten from my diet (except for Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Oatmeal in the AM - YUM). I hope this helps with my skin as well. I have had pretty bad hormonal acne on my cheeks/chin but it's been under control w/ Yaz for the past few years and Yasmin the past month. I am considering quitting the pill and working on diet/holistic/other options on clearing my skin since my husband and I want to start trying for a family eventually.

What recipe did you use for the cookies and brownies?

Thanks!

You can also use Bob's Red Mill cookie mix and brownie mix :) I made the brownies which turned out suupper yummy, but I don't eat caffeine and try to stay as far away as I can from chocolate...but I'm addicted :) I made chocolate chip cookies from a mix and they were very very good (of course not the same as the amazing chocolate chip cookies my mom makes, but hey it will do). I just made a vanilla cake from a mix byRed Mill, which I might add applesauce or something so it's not so dry. Basically, you just have to remove ALL WHEAT and GLUTEN products from your house, and COMMIT to being gluten free- for at least 3 months. It will do nothing for yourself if you eat some gluten free stuff, but go out and have pizza. There are many things I need to turn down because they are wheat - desserts, pizza, bread, etc.- but it is totally worth it. I haven't got the blood test/allergy test yet, but that's my goal this year to get it confirmed.