Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Angi

BP and an increase in scarring and aging?

I know I've read that BP can contribute to aging over time, that it contributes to free radical damage. But has anyone ever seen a dramatic difference in aging after using BP regularly for a period of time? I'm 27, so it's certainly possible that I'm just starting to get some fine lines and would have gotten them regardless. But since every line I have has appeared within the past couple months when I've really been using BP regularly, I thought it was worth asking if anyone has similar results.

Also, scarring: I've had inflamed acne for 15 years, cysts for about 13 years, and even though I was definitely a much worse picker when I was younger, I had only a couple scars until recently. Lately, even though I break out less, I scar more. And I don't mean lingering redmarks (which I've always had), but actual deep scars.

I like the results of BP as far as breakouts go, but I'm kind of getting scared to keep using it.

I'm scared too, since I'm in the performing arts industry and they like to keep us looking young. Not only that, I'm concerned for my own health.

I wish I knew exactly how to eliminate acne naturally. If I did I would definately trade off any chemicals for natural cures/diets.

As far as I know the only natural "cures" are to avoid dairy, destroying bad bacteria internally and taking probiotics. Ironically though, almost all probiotic food is also dairy food.

I'm noticing the same effect. I'm 30 so I expect to start seeing fine lines but since beginning with BP i've noticed that the few lines I had on my forehead seem deeper and i'm looking wrinkled around the eyes, especially under my eyes. I can SEE these creases...I have large pores on my cheeks/cheekbone area right on either side of my nose so I tend to apply BP heavily in these areas and even though i try to avoid the skin right around my eyes some BP does end up there too. It's making me look tired and old :( . My skin has cleared significantly but it also looks tired, dry and dull.

I even wondered if maybe it was just the drying effect of the BP that seems to make the lines look more obvious. :unsure:

BP has really helped clear me up but it sad that I might turn into an old hag in exchange for no acne. Does anyone know if BP in fact does cause "aging"?

Haha.. this is not aging, but DRYING. This is why I personally advice to apply BP cleanser and then a cleanser that has moisturizer in it (like Cetaphil Gentle Bar Cleanser). It makes my skin young looking rather than dry BP looking...

Haha.. this is not aging, but DRYING. This is why I personally advice to apply BP cleanser and then a cleanser that has moisturizer in it (like Cetaphil Gentle Bar Cleanser). It makes my skin young looking rather than dry BP looking...

Exactly. The "signs of aging" that start to show up are only because of a lack of moisture, which can cause flakiness, wrinkles, etc...

Yep and people with oily skin tend to not age as fast ( skin wise ) because they don't have dry skin, and don't need to worry about putting on lots of moisturizer.