Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RebeccaDeWinter

Does anyone have any tips for eating healthy on a tight budget? (college student)

Guest kiwikali

hmm, well i'm in hs, but i have a friend in college who says she goes to a lot of outdoor markets to buy fresh fruits/veggies that are cheaper! and it depends how tight of a budget, like 300 a month? or less? i think having a simple diet would be the cheapest, and dairy is expensive so if you could manage to not eat dairy, i'm sure it would be a lot cheaper. or do what i do and sell stuff on ebay!!! :D

hmm, well i'm in hs, but i have a friend in college who says she goes to a lot of outdoor markets to buy fresh fruits/veggies that are cheaper! and it depends how tight of a budget, like 300 a month? or less? i think having a simple diet would be the cheapest, and dairy is expensive so if you could manage to not eat dairy, i'm sure it would be a lot cheaper. or do what i do and sell stuff on ebay!!! :D

Thanks, what do you sell? I was thinking of getting a sellers license so I could but things at wholesale but Im not sure if its worth it.

Try to eat locally grown food as often as possible--that way, you're paying for the food, not the marketing or shipping.

Don't buy anything with more than one ingredient in it; unless it's cheaper to buy it that way, as opposed to making it yourself. For example, rotisserie chicken. It's cheaper to get a plain chicken, cook it and season it yourself. Healthier, too.

Drink only water. Even pre-bottled water is cheaper than sodas or juices.

Buy frozen fruits and vegetables.

Buy in bulk. Nuts, seeds, and such are cheaper from the big bins than when they're individually bagged or canned.

Guest kiwikali

Thanks, what do you sell? I was thinking of getting a sellers license so I could but things at wholesale but Im not sure if its worth it.

i don't have a sellers license either, but i still do a lot on ebay. i sell just random shit i don't need, or stuff my parents don't use anymore. like i sold my dad's lawnmower and got $200 for it. and i sold my mom's old chanel dress that i would've kept for myself, but it's way out of style, and i got 600 bucks for it!!!! or i just sell CD's i don't need, now that i have an iTunes library. and yeah i don't get very much, but 10 or 20 dollars could be several meals!!

you can look into farmer co-ops or csa's(community supported agriculture). You pay a fee and get a weekly supply of foods. its great since it makes you eat what you get, adding variety to your diet which is important, and all the food is fresh and local. I know lots of csa's require you to pay ahead of time, but some co-ops let you buy in whenever so look into that in your area. Since its summer starting a garden is another great option. Eggs are pretty cheap,a s are fatty cuts of meats. You could try some organ meats too since they are super cheap and very healthy. Im on a super limited budget too, and i still manage to eat very well (all grass-fed/pastured meats and eggs), lots of veggies. Finding good local sources will be your best bet. farmers markets have amazing deals sometimes.

Maybe consider spending less on skincare items too. A good diet will eliminate the need for expensive creams and moisturizers, i think. good luck though

Organic veggies are pretty cheap in comparison to processed food so that shouldnt be a problem. Youre probably spending the bullk of your money on meat. You can get organic free range eggs pretty cheap. Eggs are actually better for you than just about any cut of muscle meat you can buy, and dont worry about the the cholesterol/fat b.s.. I'm up to eating like 6 hardboiled eggs and day and my body is loving it. Canned salmon is also another cheap alternative source of meat. Its got a lot of salt in it though so cut back adding salt to your meals if you start eating it often.

you can look into farmer co-ops or csa's(community supported agriculture). You pay a fee and get a weekly supply of foods. its great since it makes you eat what you get, adding variety to your diet which is important, and all the food is fresh and local. I know lots of csa's require you to pay ahead of time, but some co-ops let you buy in whenever so look into that in your area. Since its summer starting a garden is another great option. Eggs are pretty cheap,a s are fatty cuts of meats. You could try some organ meats too since they are super cheap and very healthy. Im on a super limited budget too, and i still manage to eat very well (all grass-fed/pastured meats and eggs), lots of veggies. Finding good local sources will be your best bet. farmers markets have amazing deals sometimes.

Maybe consider spending less on skincare items too. A good diet will eliminate the need for expensive creams and moisturizers, i think. good luck though

Thanks, Ill see if I can find one of those in my area. I spend a lot of money on sunscreen and retinoids for anti aging, and they make my skin look great so Im not willing to give those up. They are mostly preventative though.

I'm totally following this thread. I'm on a pretty tight budget too, and I hate it. My boyfriend insists that produce is too expensive, so he only buys frozen pizzas, Kraft mac and "cheese", and ground beef. No joke. I can't remember the last time we had something other than pizza, chili-mac, or burgers for dinner.

I hate it.

Occasionally, I can persuade him to buy me a head of romaine lettuce and some bananas, but that's about it. I'd just about kill for some avocados, unsalted almonds, persimmons, and kiwis. Ooh, and pomegranates. I'm constantly craving fruits and veggies, but since I don't have a job right now, I get no say in the grocery shopping.

I feel like if I could prove to him that we could eat healthy for the same amount of money he's spending on frozen and processed foods, maybe he'd be more willing to, you know, buy better food. But we live in Chicago, so we end up doing all our shopping in big stores with crappy produce selections and high prices. I'd love to get in on one of those co-ops or something, but there aren't any farms within miles and miles of us.

Grr.

Thanks, Ill see if I can find one of those in my area. I spend a lot of money on sunscreen and retinoids for anti aging, and they make my skin look great so Im not willing to give those up. They are mostly preventative though.

You need sunscreen in London?

You need sunscreen in London?

I live in Southern CA, but yes if I lived in London I would definately need suscreen. UVA rays(the aging ones) are in all kinds of weather.

I'm totally following this thread. I'm on a pretty tight budget too, and I hate it. My boyfriend insists that produce is too expensive, so he only buys frozen pizzas, Kraft mac and "cheese", and ground beef. No joke. I can't remember the last time we had something other than pizza, chili-mac, or burgers for dinner.

I hate it.

Occasionally, I can persuade him to buy me a head of romaine lettuce and some bananas, but that's about it. I'd just about kill for some avocados, unsalted almonds, persimmons, and kiwis. Ooh, and pomegranates. I'm constantly craving fruits and veggies, but since I don't have a job right now, I get no say in the grocery shopping.

I feel like if I could prove to him that we could eat healthy for the same amount of money he's spending on frozen and processed foods, maybe he'd be more willing to, you know, buy better food. But we live in Chicago, so we end up doing all our shopping in big stores with crappy produce selections and high prices. I'd love to get in on one of those co-ops or something, but there aren't any farms within miles and miles of us.

Grr.

lots of co-ops are designed for people in the cities. its basically like a bunch of people buying a big enough amount to make it worth the farmer's time/money to deliver the food to the cities. I am almost positive chicago would have frmers co-ops. just google "chicago farmer co-op" or "chicago produce co-op". Your bf sounds like he has the same diet i used to have, haha. i lived off mac and cheese, frozen pizza, and pasta for like all of college

eggs are cheap, and very high quality protein also in 4 eggs you get 100% daily vitamin e.

split pea soup and ham, split peas have a lot of protein, not a lot of carbs and are super cheap.

learn to make it well with carrots and celery garlic or onion and its pretty tasty stuff. Make alot at one time as it takes time to boil them until soft, store it the fridge for a few days and reheat as needed.