Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
londonmlad

Folliculitis has ruined my life also

Hi,

Read these boards for years now but never posted, basically started getting spots at about 12/13, from the hips up anywhere was a target, nothing ever cleared it, went on antibiotics, zineryt, usual stuff etc. Went on Accutane for 6 months, completely gone, perfect skin, then came back after about a month. Now all I get are loads of red lumps appear with whiteheads on, they never scar but they're everywhere.

I'm now 25 and went to see a derm on private healthcare, supposed to be very good he works at Guys Hospital in London, I asked if he thought it looked like folliculitis and he thought it did, he took a culture and put me on itraconazole with a dermol wash and nizoral twice a week. Did sweet FA!

Went back last night and turns out the results of the culture showed no germ infection at all, he said that that made him think it was yeast/fungal as that rarely shows in cultures, therefore what he prescribed should have worked. He has now put me on a 6 week course of trimethoprim two x 200mg daily and told me to continue with the dermol wash, he also took another culture. He said it's just a matter of finding the right combination of drugs to cure it, I asked him about what happens if one does work but then the effects of the antibiotic wear off, he said it wouldn't. I'm so confused, on here people say there's no cure, if antibiotics work they wont work when it comes back etc.

I just dont know what to do, I have no life, never had a proper holiday, girlfriend etc and i know i'm stuck with this for life and it tears me apart inside, i'm just so bitter and i hate it.

I know this treatment isn't going to work but don't know what to do, i'm seeing him again in 6 weeks but it just feels like he doesnt care at all and is just gonna stick me on a different drug everytime until i give up.

Reading on the internet it appears that if trimethoprim worked then it would be gram negative folliculitis, but what if it doesn't work, I don't know what to do. H&S didn't work, Tetrasil didn't work and Nizoral didn't even touch it.

Ok, Propylene Glycol mixed with water made my skin 1000% worse in literally a day, not doing that again.

I was using a benzoyl peroxide wash called panoxyl up until recently, i became almost immune to it though so started leaving it on overnight, it cleared my skin for about a year, however they started coming back, my skin was very dry and red most of the time, I think this has caused my folliculitis, all my spots appear with a white head and never scar. The trimethoprim im on has done nothing also, i am beginning to lose faith completely, got a date next sat and i really like this girl, however I know i'll never be mentally ready to be honest for anything, my skin ruins my life, all i want is just normal skin.

Any other ideas about my folliculitis?? Itraconazole did nothing and neither has trimethoprim

Im wondering if where i burnt my skin with BP my skin now needs time to recover and repair and that's why it's flooding my skin with sebum and causing the spots?!

I am surprised your skin reacted that way to PG. Did you dilute it? It should be a 50/50 mix with water.

There are plenty of other topicals you can try. Some topicals and cleansers you might consider are mandelic acid (cleanser or serum), salicylic acid (cleanser or serum), tea tree oil, oil of oregano, the ZNP bar, Nizoral shampoo, selsun blue shampoo.

Oral antifungal supplements may also help - some to try are coconut oil (or caprylic acid tablets), olive leaf, oil of oregano, undecylenic acid, neem, garlic.

Also - what is your diet like? Diets that are high in sugar, yeasts (including most breads, sugary snacks, alcohol, etc.) can make fungal infections worse. The fungus feeds on the sugar, so a sugary diet allows it to thrive. You might try eating something like a lower glycemic diet and see if it helps at all. Also taking a probiotic can help in some cases.

That is exactly the kind of folliculitis I get....lots and lots of whiteheads that I can pop easily, all over my neck, shoulders and top of my back. I went on the Atkins diet a few weeks ago and all my spots pretty much cleared up...I thought it was diet related, since I wasn't eating any sugars or carbs or wheat kinda things. Anyways this lead me to Candida. I am certain that is what I have, and I am currently on a candida cleansing diet. Seeing vast improvements every day. I'll soon be able to have my shirt off without feeling like a freak. It is a sugar related thing, if I have alcohol or sweets or breads in abundance, I break out. I really suggest you research candida and see if you have the same symptoms!

Ok, Propylene Glycol mixed with water made my skin 1000% worse in literally a day, not doing that again.

I was using a benzoyl peroxide wash called panoxyl up until recently, i became almost immune to it though so started leaving it on overnight, it cleared my skin for about a year, however they started coming back, my skin was very dry and red most of the time, I think this has caused my folliculitis, all my spots appear with a white head and never scar. The trimethoprim im on has done nothing also, i am beginning to lose faith completely, got a date next sat and i really like this girl, however I know i'll never be mentally ready to be honest for anything, my skin ruins my life, all i want is just normal skin.

Any other ideas about my folliculitis?? Itraconazole did nothing and neither has trimethoprim

Im wondering if where i burnt my skin with BP my skin now needs time to recover and repair and that's why it's flooding my skin with sebum and causing the spots?!

do a search on this site for "oil of oregano". i used the medicinal grade stuff topically to cure my folliculitis, in combination with other anti-fungals. good luck.

do a search on this site for "oil of oregano". i used the medicinal grade stuff topically to cure my folliculitis, in combination with other anti-fungals. good luck.

Thanks for all the tips guys, how long have you been using oregano oil for? I mean did it come back after a while, my body gets immune to treatments so quickly!

Going back to my derm next sat, he took a second culture so hopefully this time the germs might've been present in the samples he took

I feel disgusting!

hey guys i also have many of the same problems and have been dealing with them for about 1 year,lost almost all my hair, horrible itching ,an all the rest and i don't know if it will help but when i was taking the antibiotics an a couple shampoos that never completely worked by themselves but when i began to also take Flax Seed Oil an biotin from the health food store an it really helped me cleared almost all of it in about 2months... i grew back most of my hair an so far and it's been about two months since i have taken the antibiotics or the shampoos and seems to continue doing well although i do continue to take the flax oil 2 teaspoons a day. The Health food store that i went to has something called Barlean's Omega Swirl Flax seed oil....actually tastes kinda good so i figured i would pass it on . GOOD LUCK everyone

ohh an also try using seabreaze , before u use the shampoo......it's an astringent GOOD LUCK

Read my reply on "Folliculites ruined my faith in GOD" thread.

I feel you bro. Been there. Still there. But improving. Tried a ton of antibiotics in my life. Also Accutane. Retin A. Nothing ever worked. B Vitamins and improving my diet were the best things. I'm 39 now.

I have been using a great moisturizer for the past few years. I use it every day--without fail. I was always afraid of moisturizers. Truth is, the skin needs to be moist, not dry. The dryness may be a factor in your folliculitis. It was in mine. And still is, but things are improving. Your diet is key. A lot of doctors say diet doesn't matter. I think you know deep down that diet really does matter. Keep a healthy gut. Go for yogurt and other probiotics.

Finding the RIGHT moisturizer for you is important. There is one that will work well for you. Find it. Use it.

Another bit of advice is to go natural as much as possible. And avoid antibiotics like the plague, my friend. Get to the root of the problem. Don't just treat the symptoms.

Also, very, very important: DO NOT LET LIFE PASS YOU BY! Keep your sense of humor, study your brains out about everything, get your career going, save money. And learn to be the best person you can be. Be good to yourself and everyone around you. Some day, your skin problems will be history. You just gotta believe.

All the best!