Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chicky1

Clogged pores covering my face

I used to have really oily skin as a kid. You could literally use my face as a mirror. Luckily, my face is not oily anymore, but Im stuck with a ton of clogged pores and blackheads. The pores on my forehead are huge, so it's the perfect breeding ground for clogged pores. Ive been using retin-a for what feels like forever, and my skin is really dry. Somtimes I accidentally look in a mirror during the day, and huge flakes of skin are peeling off. Not very attractive. I also can't imagine how retin-a will acutally get these super deep clogged pores to the surface - I just feel like their multiplying.

Just wondering if anyone is in the same situation? Maybe my only option is accutane. My skin is keeping me from enjoying life. I want to go out and meet people, but instead I stay at home feeling miserable. And now I've got this huge job opportunity lined up, but it's for a brand where appearances are important and not sure how they'll feel about me.

Just wanted to get this off my chest.

Hi chicky,

I know how you feel. I have similar problems and I'm currently on tazorac. The peeling is awful. I do think it gets worse for most people before it gets better with the retinoids. I am most likely going back on accutane unless something miraculous happens between now and my next appointment.

I think you should stick it out with the retin-a or try tazorac. If you don't have cysts or lots of under the skin stubborn acne accutane is probably too much for you. Try to stick with the retinoid for at least 3 months.

By the time I go back to the derm next month I will have been on tazorac for over 3 months... which is when supposedly you're supposed to see pretty dramatic results. I have pretty shitty and stubborn acne, though... so we'll see.

How long have you been using the retin-a for?

I hope you feel better. I know how it feels to feel crappy and not want to leave the house... I've been having quite a few of those days over the past couple of months... which is what is forcing me back to the accutane. I just want to live my life and not wake up every morning and deal with treatment and makeup!!

Anyway... now I'm ranting.

Hope you feel better!!

We just have to remember that eventually it will get better once we get on the right treatment so at least we can all look forward to that day!!

If you've given the retinoid at least 3 months and it's not doing anything talk to your derm about accutane... or even start the conversation now even if it has not been 3 months. Getting the accutane process started takes time so you could at least have the potential to get on accutane lined up even if by then you don't need it.... catch my drift?

good luck.

:catdance:

yea accutane wud be too much for ur skin. im using retinA and its taking a while. the peelng means its working. it taks all the bacteria out first and goes deep into ur skin. dont stop using it. and ur luck u only have blackheads. good luck!!

Accutane did nothing for my clogged pores and blackheads. It got rid of cysts and boils though.

Peels might help.

BigPore - love your username:PP Strange that accutane didnt do anything for your blackheads. But Im glad you got rid of cysts though:)

broccolicat: im going to see a derm regarding accutane, perhaps next week. At the moment I can see these white plus sticking out of clogged pores around my nose and chin... and I can actually pull out some plugs from the tiny clogged pores close to my nostrils (with a tweezer:))

It's quite easy to make forehead skin look smooth with makeup, but Im struggeling with my nose. any suggestions? Everything seems to accentuate the flakes. And now that Im retin'a, the blackheads on my nose are huge:( How many times have you been on accutane? Did it clear your pores? Im thinking it would be a good idea to go on accutane and then when pores hopefully clears use a low strength retin-a or tazorac gel.

&&& - I know my skin is not terrible and I really should not be complaining.. but I had really bad acne from the age of 10 and now that I do not get cysts anymore it would be nice to get rid of the craters of huge, clogged pores and blackheads that cover my face. I guess I'll just have to give it time... thank you:)

Does anyone use a moisturiser an hour after applying retin-a. I can important meeting today and to avoid the extreme peeling I applied a garnier moisturizer an hour after retin-a last night. This morning I was able to remove all flakey skin in the shower and it looked very smooth. Wondering if I should do this every other day or so. I just got some samples from kiehls, so will be trying that out.

BigPore - love your username:PP Strange that accutane didnt do anything for your blackheads.

Accutane wasn't designed to get rid of blackheads. My blackheads are a function of my pores, and there is nothing on earth that would change the size of my pores.

I have the same tweezer-removable stuff sticking out of my nose pores. Admit it, it's kind of fun pulling them out.

A derm once told me that it's okay to use moisturizer over Retin-A. If it helps, I'd continue doing what you're doing.

Hi again. You should cut back on the retinoid to every other or every three days because you're supposed to start out slow and work your way up. Moisturizer is good a half hour or so before you apply. Also consider using glycolic acid wash in the morning to remove dead skin. Ugggg!!! Why won't it all just go away!!!

Hi!

It looks like you'd benefit from a glycolic peel. I use a home-use 20% glycolic acid Dermatologic Clinical Resurfacing System Kit and it totally transformed my skin. It exfoliates dull surface cells, clears & tightens pores. It also will improve clarity, texture & tone of the skin and it's easy to use. Originally I did two treatments a week over the couse of 6 weeks and then switched to two treatments a month to maintain the results. I barely use make up now. You can get it online at www.beautyisskindeep.com

ok, all of minky's posts advertise that website, i just want to point out. getting a chemical peel probably wouldn't help with peeling skin.

basically, it sounds like the most useful advice we can offer is to use more moisturizer. also, physically removing flakes doesn't seem to cause irritation to the skin if they come off very easily. if you can remove the flakes without causing redness or a breakout, then it's fine. beyond that, you should consult with the doctor who prescribed the retin-a to talk about making any changes to your treatment.

it sounds like your skin is in pretty good shape, but imperfect. everyone's skin is imperfect if you look at it really close up. that's just how it is.