Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
&&&

my god. anyone who is using tetroin please some advice!!

ok so ive been using it for like a month and a half now. my face went from mild acne to a little over moderate :[ i dont undersand why my acne it increasing even after a month.

On a retinoid, almost everyone goes through an initial breakout period before things improve. This can last for up to 12 weeks and maybe even longer. It is recommended people stay on Tretinoin for three to four months to see results. I use tretinoin and really, really like it. Be patient, it takes time.

did the marks go away? becaus i have more of those than actuall acne, and thanks for the advice :]

That's the same thing as Retin A right? My derm just prescribed that to me and im scared to use it cuz I finally found somehting that keeps my skin clear and it looks great so if I use it is my face gonna break out again? Will it do more harm than good?

im not sure but u can look it up in the treatment reviews. tretinoin takes ALOT of patience and im not doing so well considering school will be starting in august.

but if ur skin has just one or two pimples then i wudnt suggest it. differen is a good product for mild acne. i used it for 3 years and i worked great but eventually i had a bad breakout and from there i begin to get acne on my cheeks and basically everwhere.

It really takes some time to see the results of retin-a. I'm on month 5 of the .001 gel - the first 3-3.5 months were hell. I am so far *crosses fingers* pleased with the results. Stick with, moisturize well, and for the love of god - don't wax anything ;) (ouch!)

This is just my own personal experience, but the first 3 months on retin-a my large inflammatory acne got much better, but I experienced an increase in small pimples on my cheeks and jawline. It was not going away like an IB. I heard the cream tretinoin can clog pores, so I requested a gel from my derm instead and that solved the issue.

Peeling and general redness was also a part of the adjustment. It takes around 3-4 months to adjust to a new topical, generally.

Besides that, it has worked very well for me, at keeping most of my acne at bay and significantly speeding up the fading of post acne redmarks.

If you're using a cream, maybe try a gel?

Also, remember to use sparingly, around a pea sized drop, and moisturize well. I like a moisturizer with an AHA cuz it helps with flakiness and peeling.

It really takes some time to see the results of retin-a. I'm on month 5 of the .001 gel - the first 3-3.5 months were hell. I am so far *crosses fingers* pleased with the results. Stick with, moisturize well, and for the love of god - don't wax anything ;) (ouch!)

I remember when I was on differin and I waxed my eyebrows--big mistake. I was not educated on the product at all.

im not sure but u can look it up in the treatment reviews. tretinoin takes ALOT of patience and im not doing so well considering school will be starting in august.

but if ur skin has just one or two pimples then i wudnt suggest it. differen is a good product for mild acne. i used it for 3 years and i worked great but eventually i had a bad breakout and from there i begin to get acne on my cheeks and basically everwhere.

Well my skin was horrible up to 8 months ago. I suffered with horrible break outs (cysts) all over my face and I finally went to the derm and he prescribed me Klaron(topical) and Adoxa(pill) and within a week my face was completley clear and I havn't had any break outs since but now im left with big holes on the side of my face and thats why I asked about Retin A but now im scared to even use it cuz I don't want to braek out =-( maybe i'll just deal with big holes on cheeks =-(...ugh I dunno...

Unfortunately using retin-a takes a LOT of patience. I'm on week 15(ish), and yes, I'm still breaking out. Some days my skin looks great, some days it is definitely worse than when I started 3+ months ago. What I have noticed is even though I'm still breaking out, my skin tone is better overall and my lifetime nose/chin blackheads are starting to disappear. BUT some days I really want to quit. You never think it will take so long, so just hang in there a while.

My advice &&& is to stick it out at the very least until the 12 week mark (even though a ton of people say it took a lot longer), and stick to the boards to learn some tricks about how to get through the side effects. These are a few of my favorite tricks:

-refrigerated aloe vera gel: for those red/flaky patches (feels good & helps heal!)

-clinique redness solutions daily protective base: great for overall redness caused by retin-a

-Sally Hansen aerosol foundation: stipple on with wedge for when you're skin is too flaky to rub any makeup on it, but you'd still like some coverage.

Hope this helps -- good luck!

^After one clears (fingers crossed, 18th week here), how does one deal with the hyperpigmentation? Continue using the retinoid until that old skin gets replaced? Is there anything we cna do to speed up that process?

Maybe I'll ask a derm for finacea.

^After one clears (fingers crossed, 18th week here), how does one deal with the hyperpigmentation? Continue using the retinoid until that old skin gets replaced? Is there anything we cna do to speed up that process?

Maybe I'll ask a derm for finacea.

I heard that microdermabrasion can help greatly with hyperpigmentation. I'm getting my first treatment July 8th! I don't really have hyperpigmentation, just clogged pores which I heard it can help out with also.

Unfortunately using retin-a takes a LOT of patience. I'm on week 15(ish), and yes, I'm still breaking out. Some days my skin looks great, some days it is definitely worse than when I started 3+ months ago. What I have noticed is even though I'm still breaking out, my skin tone is better overall and my lifetime nose/chin blackheads are starting to disappear. BUT some days I really want to quit. You never think it will take so long, so just hang in there a while.

My advice &&& is to stick it out at the very least until the 12 week mark (even though a ton of people say it took a lot longer), and stick to the boards to learn some tricks about how to get through the side effects. These are a few of my favorite tricks:

-refrigerated aloe vera gel: for those red/flaky patches (feels good & helps heal!)

-clinique redness solutions daily protective base: great for overall redness caused by retin-a

-Sally Hansen aerosol foundation: stipple on with wedge for when you're skin is too flaky to rub any makeup on it, but you'd still like some coverage.

Hope this helps -- good luck!

wow im still on week 6 i think. its just extremely frustrating beacause before i started using this i had no acne on my cheeks and now they are filled up :.[ man i wish there was no such thing as acne. im not so sure this was exactly what the deerm should have given me. thanks for the advise :]

srsly it just screwed up my face. There was times when I was clear for some time. but i didnt think the redness was worth it so I stopped

It is SO important to moisturize while usng retinol. Everyone needs to moisturize, but for us it is that much more important since our skin is constantly being sloughed off. I love CeraVe moisturizer and also their hydrating cleanser. It is very similar to cetaphil but like sooo much better. If you don't moisturize this can result in more clogged pores because the sloughed off skin can just go into ur pores and clog it at the beginning and throughout treatment. I also use Eucerin at night, redness relief. If I didn't moisturize i wold agree with everyone that it makes your skin too red and is not worth it. But in about 4 days the moisture fixed the redness and my face looks good even though I still have some tiny bumps on it. I also use BP on my face.

when using tetrinoin i know u have a breakout phase but after tht do u get some sort of a blush and red pimples. I dont know whats HAPPENING!!!!! :[ i seriously think im gonna turn emo

^Don't turn emo! :D

I know it's hard, and I've been doing some Googling and on some other sites outside of acne.org people are saying that tretinoin takes about 4 months to work.

I know it's supposed to just be generic RetinA, and I can't speak for RetinA users, but Tretinoin has been pretty slow for me. I'm about a week from 4 months and starting to clear. Not sure if it's the minocycline I started a month ago though either.

Not to discourage you, but you may be in for a long ride. Take care of your skin, and take care of yourself.

Good luck.

It really took until the fourth month for me to see the improvement. The redness went away, my skin is smoother, less blackheads/non-inflamed acne, etc.

This is actually my third go round with retinoids. I gave differin exactly 12 weeks before I quit - retin-a once before - maybe a month or two.

I think the key differences that are making it a success so far are:

1. Knowing what to expect, i.e. it's really gonna get worse before it gets better

2. Gel - not cream, the cream is super pore clogging - if that's what you have call the dr's office and see if they'll call you in a new prescription. I use the .001 gel (generic)

3. Doing it right - only at night, and starting very slowly - every third night for two weeks, then every other for two, then finally every night.

4. calming down - it is what it is, and I'm doing what I can and all I can.

Good Luck!!

^Just a correction to my previous post, I'm actually just over 4 months in. That seems to be the consensus, 4 months, not the 12 weeks many are expecting and not the 7 weeks the instructions claim. :X

^Don't turn emo! :D

I know it's hard, and I've been doing some Googling and on some other sites outside of acne.org people are saying that tretinoin takes about 4 months to work.

I know it's supposed to just be generic RetinA, and I can't speak for RetinA users, but Tretinoin has been pretty slow for me. I'm about a week from 4 months and starting to clear. Not sure if it's the minocycline I started a month ago though either.

Not to discourage you, but you may be in for a long ride. Take care of your skin, and take care of yourself.

Good luck.

lol i wont turn emo. and thanks but ive been using minocycline since i started on tretinoin. it will make u sleepy.

yeah as far as retnoids are concerned its all about patience im on week 8 and i say that i have relativley improved, there is less overall acne although i have some cysts, the back acne has stoped now im breaking out again in my forehead and some small breaking out under my chin. it seems that the skin has some sort of reaction to the retnoid like popcorn. until the last kernels pop u will keep breaking out. i hope that by week 12 i can see if this is going somewhere. i would like to know if there is anyone who went from differin .03% to another retnoid, i wonder if its strong enough or the others are stronger. and as far as doxycycline is it the best antibiotic to treat ? and for duac is it the better of the benzo mixes? anyone who can answer these questions please feel free cause im going to my derm and i might push for accutane cause thats pretty much only thing that owrked

^apparently the manufacturer recognizes a period of 3-6 months to see improvement :/

im finally starting to see a differince in DIFFERIN get it hahahaha, yeah its finally clearing me up but i have so many red marks and i dont know how to go about healing them faster. i have no dark marks and just 2 cysts right at the border of my neck and chin area so thats great news (they are both getting smaller)i wash 3x a day with aveeno clear complexion salcyclic wash which imo is the best wash in the market. it leaves ur face clean and smooth. Now i applied mama lotion but i dont like applying it every day. Just about 10 days til derm appointment see how things go.

yeah as far as retnoids are concerned its all about patience im on week 8 and i say that i have relativley improved, there is less overall acne although i have some cysts, the back acne has stoped now im breaking out again in my forehead and some small breaking out under my chin. it seems that the skin has some sort of reaction to the retnoid like popcorn. until the last kernels pop u will keep breaking out. i hope that by week 12 i can see if this is going somewhere. i would like to know if there is anyone who went from differin .03% to another retnoid, i wonder if its strong enough or the others are stronger. and as far as doxycycline is it the best antibiotic to treat ? and for duac is it the better of the benzo mixes? anyone who can answer these questions please feel free cause im going to my derm and i might push for accutane cause thats pretty much only thing that owrked

yea i used differen then switched to F&*%king tetrion. It was deffinatly alot stronger.