Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
emmabrown

WHY is my acne only ever ok when im on my period?

im not joking, for the 3/4 days im on in a month, that is ALWAYS when my skin is its clearest.

literally the day i come off, it goes back to normal, and the day i come on, its virtually clear.

i even said to my gp last time i was there about my antibiotics (been on nearly 2 years now, minoycline) that my acne is obviously hormonal, because my skin changes when im on my period, but he said i should carry on with my tablets because they maintain my skin. and while it is better than it is when im not on them, i dont wanna be on them much longer (worried ill become immune or it'll start to affect me negatively) and i think other stuff will work better. i wanted something that'll help with my hormones. i already know i cant just come off them, ive tried many times, and my skin breaks out like CRAZY. its unbelievable, and i have to go back on.

i know i need to wean myself off them. but im not if ive got nothing to take to reduce my breakout.

wouldnt birth control be better for me?

and also, why is it my skin is better when im on my period? whats happening in my body that changes my skin??

Yeah, I hear ya. I seem to break out before my period and before I ovulate, so it's tough to catch a break and have clear skin. I'm not a derm, but Yasmin BCP helped me clear up a lot. You could also try spironolactone if you don't want to go on BC. Ask your doc next time you go in. Oh, and antibiotics did nothing for my acne and usually gave me yeast infections on top of it. :rolleyes:

i heard about spiro but i got scared when i read it lowers blood pressure and is good for water retention etc. is it very safe? ill ask about yasmin too. are these both available in the uk yes?

and i agree with the antibiotics comment. i hate taking them.

i heard about spiro but i got scared when i read it lowers blood pressure and is good for water retention etc. is it very safe? ill ask about yasmin too. are these both available in the uk yes?

and i agree with the antibiotics comment. i hate taking them.

I would think that you could get spiro in the UK, but not sure about Yasmin. Don't quote me on either, though. ;) AS for spiro, the amount one takes for acne is far lower than what one would take for high blood pressure. It is possible that some people may be sensitive to it and still experience lower BP by taking even low doese of it. That is something to discuss with your doctor. My doctor monitored me and had me go in every 4-6 weeks for blood draws to make sure my potassium was in check and to have my BP checked. (Both were ok for me.) As for safety, I think it is fairly safe as long as you're being monitored. I completely plan on going back to at least spiro (if not Yasmin) after I'm done having kids.

im on Yasmin because of my hormonal acne .. during my period my skin varies from clear to crazy so Yasmin is suppose to help balance my hormones. I have been on it for 3 weeks and I have noticed a little improvement.. I also use pro-activ .. I'm hoping that within a few weeks my skin will go back to being clear.. and stay clear.