Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MagnusHall

Accutane - Should I do it?

They want to put me on accutane. I would have started it more than a month ago, but I'm afraid of the side-effects that could occur. As one member put it, it's like playing Russian Roulette. I'm currently 15 with severe back acne and chest acne. Though it isn't as severe as it was on my face six months ago, my acne is still active on my face also. My brother had acne and now at the age of 18, he seems to be pretty clear of it. I don't believe his was as severe as mine, but perhaps I do have a chance of growing out of it.

I'd like to hear some stories from people who have completed the regimen and are done with it., not from people who are currently undergoing it or have recently completed it. If someone could give me some statistics of the frequency of occurrence of long-term side-effects, that would be great. I'm really afraid of beginning Accutane because I don't know if this drug is going to fuck up my life, or make my life.

Mate if i was you i would stay away from the stuff. My brother used it and received a damaged liver from the stuff. I used it for 4 weeks and had a bleeding nose around the clock. Stay away from it man.

EDIT:

I just read into your post a bit more. Come on your 15 with severe acne now if you where 20 something yeah ok then you might do it but not at 15. Your 18 year old brother is pretty clear so obviously your not gonna end up with severe adult acne.

I've had severe acne since i was 13-14. I made it a point to stay away from accutane/roacatane. I take Doryx Capsuls and use Benzac Wash 5%. It does the job and im happy that i've stayed away from accutane. If you think my acne wasn't sever i'll show you pics of me at 16.

I finished in March 2007, and my skin was clear for about 6 months after that. Now i get really bad pimples, and they're not just concentrated to the sides of my face like they were before i started accutane. I'm tempted to go back on it, but I feel like i was lucky last time, that I only got the dry skin and occasional nose bleed....i don't want to risk taking it again.

I do get some aches and pains (eventhough I only just turned 21), but I always just thought they were normal, or premature arthritis. I discovered acne.org earlier this week, and have been reading people's posts and realised that perhaps my bone issues are related to the accutane.

yes, i am too afraid to go back on the acc. (i made that up my self :P)

also, you can lose all of your hair!

also, you can lose all of your hair!

Thats another thing i forgot to ad my brother start losing his hair at 22-23. Now that may not seem like a big thing but look at my dad he's 55 hahaha

Be careful, my derm wanted me on 40mg for 2 weeks then 80mg after that. I said no and after 3 weeks on 40mg my skin EXPLODED and went mad, spots dry dry dry skin everywhere and the derm said I'd had really bad allergic reaction to it and I had to stop.

I'm not going to say don't do it but maybe insist of 4-6 weeks on 40mg. Just to make certain you're really aware of the side effects. I dread to think of what would have happened if I'd have gone on 80mg.

i personally have had a great result from accutane and i didnt have any damaging side effects. try to be clear about how many people on this site are here for support because they've had bad experiences. is very likely that those many people (i know of at least 5 of my friends) who have had a positive result (and therefore NO need for this site and the support it gives) will NOT be on this site and will NOT be posting replies to you questions. this site is therefore biased if you're looking for answers. just remember that.

i personally have had a great result from accutane and i didnt have any damaging side effects. try to be clear about how many people on this site are here for support because they've had bad experiences. is very likely that those many people (i know of at least 5 of my friends) who have had a positive result (and therefore NO need for this site and the support it gives) will NOT be on this site and will NOT be posting replies to you questions. this site is therefore biased if you're looking for answers. just remember that.

++

I 'heeded' the advice of people on online forums to not take accutane a few years ago, and the only result was that I went on it anyways a few months ago :think:

Now, I just finished my course, and it has cleared me up nearly 100% :D (the red marks are slowly fading).

[for the record, nose bleeds are because the accutane dries your whole body out (which is how it works to control oil --> acne), so the skin inside gets cracked easily and blood might come pouring out occasionally...it happened to me twice, but goes away once you're off tane for a bit]

My derm wanted me to finally go on accutane..... I ran for my life, this was about 5 months ago, and I haven't gone back to her ever since. Accutane scares the shit out of me now, I used to want it but now I'd rather live with the acne.

Check out Accutane blogs on this site. You can read a lot about other people's experiences with Accutane. Then you can decide what you want :). I am taking Accutane(2.5 months now)and so far so good:).

Take it. Blood tests are taken every month to avoid any side effects to the liver/kidneys. I'm on it and only have a dry face/lips and my acne gets better every week.

The side effects of the drug are waaaayy exaggerated on this board. Very few people get adverse reactions.

oh, and it doesn't "ruin your liver". lol.

This is why I asked for statistics. I just can't get a good representation of how many people have great success without lasting adverse effects, and those who get completely screwed over.

Also, my doctor told me that it was 70% of people that had clear acne for the rest of their life. I'm wondering that perhaps because my doctors didn't mention anything about certain side-effects permanent effects that perhaps it really is just a small amount of people who get the bad effects. But can I trust that thought?

Take it. Blood tests are taken every month to avoid any side effects to the liver/kidneys. I'm on it and only have a dry face/lips and my acne gets better every week.

The side effects of the drug are waaaayy exaggerated on this board. Very few people get adverse reactions.

oh, and it doesn't "ruin your liver". lol.

yessir! -agreed with all of the above-

In my experience, definately not. I first took accutane when I was 18 and took it for 6 months. It cleared up my acne but the side affects just aint worth it.

I'm now 25 and still have acne (accutane doesn't cure acne forever). My liver is basically ruined, my kidneys don't work properly, I still get blood noses all the time and the depression that I went through for 5 years after taking accutane has ruined my life. I feel as if I've only begun to think straight again just recently.

Bottom line is I was perfectly healthy before taking accutane and have been a wreck ever since taking it.

err, honestly, if you're depressed lets say 3 years after Accutane, i can tell you its NOT the Accutane causing the depression. It's having failed getting rid of acne that causes the depression. And i speak from experience.

Take Accutane.

I'm actually a member here b/c I'm working on acne scar removal but I just happened to look through some of the other forums and it always drives me a little crazy when I see people say things like, "run away from Accutane." That's so irrational!

If you are interested in some statistics, here's mine. I took Accutane once over a decade ago b/c I had severe disfiguring cystic acne (hence why i have the scars today) and after a 5 month treatment, I was completely clear. And have been clear ever since. Sure, I get the occasional pimple but never anything to even give a second thought about.

My side effects were limited to severely dry skin, chapped lips and lower back pains which all went away shortly after the treatment stopped.

My only regret...is that I didn't take it sooner. Maybe I could have avoided getting these scars. The bottom line is that there are some significant risks with taking Accutane but they are very unlikely. I guess there's a lot of negativity on this board b/c its mostly people who had bad results since the remaining 80-90% of Accutane users had success and have no reason for being on here.

It changed my life and if your acne is actually bad (this treatment really should only be used for severe, scarring acne) then you wouldn't even be asking people what they think. You would just do it.

Take Accutane.

My only regret...is that I didn't take it sooner. Maybe I could have avoided getting these scars. The bottom line is that there are some significant risks with taking Accutane but they are very unlikely. I guess there's a lot of negativity on this board b/c its mostly people who had bad results since the remaining 80-90% of Accutane users had success and have no reason for being on here.

like i think i've said before, the same as this person, success with accutane = no reason to be on this site.

since i've been off accutane since...whenever i finished...i've been on here a maximum of 4 times. just a point to prove that successful accutane treatment means people don't come on this site as much as those with bad experiences.

They want to put me on accutane. I would have started it more than a month ago, but I'm afraid of the side-effects that could occur. As one member put it, it's like playing Russian Roulette. I'm currently 15 with severe back acne and chest acne. Though it isn't as severe as it was on my face six months ago, my acne is still active on my face also. My brother had acne and now at the age of 18, he seems to be pretty clear of it. I don't believe his was as severe as mine, but perhaps I do have a chance of growing out of it.

I'd like to hear some stories from people who have completed the regimen and are done with it., not from people who are currently undergoing it or have recently completed it. If someone could give me some statistics of the frequency of occurrence of long-term side-effects, that would be great. I'm really afraid of beginning Accutane because I don't know if this drug is going to fuck up my life, or make my life.

bro try doryx!!!!! shits ammmazing and u can take it when eva with or without a meal!! it changed my life. so glad that i didnt go on accutane. try all the other antibiotics then use accutane

Go on the Accutane. Been on it 5 months now, only had 3 nose bleeds early on, chapped lips, and sore muscles. I feel like this drug is actually a steal, it costs nothing if you have insurance and I never thought getting rid of acne was so easy. Doctor always checks the bloodtests and they are always good, so theres no chance of getting permanent liver damage.

Plus you don't have to worry about applying BP to your face everyday, that can get annoying.

Don't waste time, go on it now so your skin doesn't get worse.

Just be really careful and make sure you know your limit. I posted here a while ago asking whether I should take accutane or not, and of course people wanted me to (because they got great results). I, however, had to stop within 2 weeks of treatment cause i had a constant ringing in both of my ears. As it turns out, my ears got damaged by the accutane, and now I'm stuck with a permanant ringing called Tinnitus. Kinda sucks....and I'm only 19. =/ Just make sure you're in GOOD health and that if any problems start to arise, stop immediately. Honestly, you're health is more important than acne. Wish I would have learned that 3 months ago.

Just be really careful and make sure you know your limit. I posted here a while ago asking whether I should take accutane or not, and of course people wanted me to (because they got great results). I, however, had to stop within 2 weeks of treatment cause i had a constant ringing in both of my ears. As it turns out, my ears got damaged by the accutane, and now I'm stuck with a permanant ringing called Tinnitus. Kinda sucks....and I'm only 19. =/ Just make sure you're in GOOD health and that if any problems start to arise, stop immediately. Honestly, you're health is more important than acne. Wish I would have learned that 3 months ago.

I doubt that was related to Accutane.

just go on low dose accutane and u'll be good. i weigh 180lbs and i went on 20mgs for 7 months and im clear even 4 months after i stopped. dont be scared. only thing it can do is give you your life back.

only regret i have is not taking it sooner. bye

If I were you I would take it I have asked many doctors and two derms everyone agreed it is an amazing drug. The doctors daughters all went on accutane, my eyedoctors son went on it, I asked my derm if he would give accutane to his daughter and he said absolutely. There are risks for sure but if anything out of the ordinary happens you can stop taking the drug do not worry so much and be sure not to drink alcohol or do anything to add further risks

accutane is a no brainer man. it saved my ass twice, giving me flawless skin. it eventually came back a third time so accutane is bailing me out yet again. thank God for this stuff.

dont get scared to take it either....hairloss on it is pretty rare, and even if it happens it usually comes back when you are done, and there is always rogaine. you can take mostruizers for ur dry skin, chapped stick for your lips, but there aint shit you can do to clear your face up like accutane its the best thing going.

and dont listen to the BS of people saying the feel suicidal on it and this and that, thats a load of shit. look at the emotional and psychological effects of acne board on this site man. it has the HIGHEST number of posts. its not accutane that makes people depressed, its fucking acne. it just gives people an excuse to think that is where their depression is coming from, its like a placebo. I bet if derms told every1 that accutane causes euphoria and happiness then a shitload of people taking it would say they are experiencing that as well.

GET ACCUTANE!!!!

accutane is a no brainer man. it saved my ass twice, giving me flawless skin. it eventually came back a third time so accutane is bailing me out yet again. thank God for this stuff.

dont get scared to take it either....hairloss on it is pretty rare, and even if it happens it usually comes back when you are done, and there is always rogaine. you can take mostruizers for ur dry skin, chapped stick for your lips, but there aint shit you can do to clear your face up like accutane its the best thing going.

and dont listen to the BS of people saying the feel suicidal on it and this and that, thats a load of shit. look at the emotional and psychological effects of acne board on this site man. it has the HIGHEST number of posts. its not accutane that makes people depressed, its fucking acne. it just gives people an excuse to think that is where their depression is coming from, its like a placebo. I bet if derms told every1 that accutane causes euphoria and happiness then a shitload of people taking it would say they are experiencing that as well.

GET ACCUTANE!!!!

i also took a third course and currently about 3months later still pretty much clear but have some small pimples here and there...arent u worried the acne will come back again after your third course? i kno i am!!