Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KT

Vinegar and breaking out

Have been trying the vinegar method but have started breaking out. Seems like it's the vinegar that's doing it but then you can never be sure... Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know whether vinegar is supposed to break you out if you still have active acne?

It made me break out, too, and it also gave me a rash on my neck (in the area where I shave). I had to discontinue the vinegar splashes--or face baths--for these very reasons, so you're bad reaction is not unique. I know apple cider vinegar works for a lot of people here, but it never worked for me.

I don't think the vinegar method is meant to break you out ... but if you have very sensitive skin, it may have irritated it. For people with very sensitive skin, it's always best to try new methods/products with caution.

You could try diluting the vinegar so that it is very weak and then build up.

The vinegar is works as an exfoliator (malic acid) and apple cider vinegar balances the PH level of the skin.

It is possible that in some people with active acne, it may push your acne to the front as it exfoliates ... as it's trying to clean the pores out.

Thanks for the info. My acne is definitely still active although I've managed to get it under control recently with cetaphil. I've been thinking maybe that the fact the cetaphil worked for me means that my acne responds to a simple, basic regimen, and if I try to add anything into that it starts to come back. Shame, 'cos I was dying to give the vinegar a proper try...

I'm sorry, I should've added that when I was trying the vinegar method I was using retin-a. I think that may have accounted for my sensitivity to the vinegar method. It seems everything was too irritating for my skin while using it.

I just mention this because I don't want to dissuade others from trying it.

Emma

I dunno. Everyone is different right? Keep trying the vinegar method. I use it up to 5 times a day if I'm at home. I have really tuff skin tho. My breakouts have stopped (for now!) ::knocks on wood::