Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The 6oz. glycolic acid (AHA) plus lichochalcone is for sale. I sat down with a calculator and crunched numbers to get it to stay between my target of $15 and $20 and managed to get it down to $16.11.

You can read more about glycolic acid, aka alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) here, and more about lichochalcone here.

I personally use it for spot treatment, body acne treatment, and flakiness control. It is not required on the Acne.org Regimen, but it's a nice addition that I recommend for pretty much everyone. For me, it takes my skin from clear to pretty much perfect.

I look forward to your feedback.

Would AHA be beneficial to me even with all these other products I am using? If so, when would I apply it and how?

Dan, when do you apply your AHA? Between BP and Moisturizer?

First Impressions:

-There's a lot of AHA in there!

-I like that there's licochalcone in it.

-Nice, sleek bottle.

i think he uses it as a replacement for a moisturiser, which confuses me a little, is it an aha with added moisturiser or is it just that you can use an aha without needing the moisturiser in the eve? as i have pretty dry skin and if i just used aha with no moisturiser i think my skin would go crazy dry!

This AHA seems to be in a lotion-type base, and it does contain several emollients, so my guess is you can indeed use it in place of a moisturizer. Dan also mentions this in the product description page... I guess you can compare it to Paula's Choice BHA lotion, which exfoliates in addition to providing light moisture.

It's a multi-purpose product really.

I use it for spot treatment when I need it and it works brilliantly.

I'll also use it, say if I get a massage and want to make sure to prevent body acne, I'll use it for a day or two after the massage on my back and my skin will stay clear. Normally when I irritate my back like that I'll break out a little. I'll also use it after a haircut on the back of my neck for the same purpose. When I had body acne issues, the regimen plus 10% AHA was totally brilliant.

Also, I use it as a super moisturizing moisturizer which combats flakes and just generally makes my skin look really even toned and just nice looking. When used as a moisturizer this way, I find it also keeps my skin pretty much perfect.

Bottom line, I think pretty much everyone can benefit a lot from having some AHA around. I'm also curious to hear how you guys end up using it.

It's a multi-purpose product really.

I use it for spot treatment when I need it and it works brilliantly.

I'll also use it, say if I get a massage and want to make sure to prevent body acne, I'll use it for a day or two after the massage on my back and my skin will stay clear. Normally when I irritate my back like that I'll break out a little. I'll also use it after a haircut on the back of my neck for the same purpose. When I had body acne issues, the regimen plus 10% AHA was totally brilliant.

Also, I use it as a super moisturizing moisturizer which combats flakes and just generally makes my skin look really even toned and just nice looking. When used as a moisturizer this way, I find it also keeps my skin pretty much perfect.

Bottom line, I think pretty much everyone can benefit a lot from having some AHA around. I'm also curious to hear how you guys end up using it.

So how does this differ from Alpha Hydrox souffle? I know it is 10%, not 12% - but are there other differences? I would love to replace Alpha Hydrox with yours, but would like to make sure before ordering I'm going to get the same results...

So how does this differ from Alpha Hydrox souffle? I know it is 10%, not 12% - but are there other differences? I would love to replace Alpha Hydrox with yours, but would like to make sure before ordering I'm going to get the same results...

I think the consistencies are probably a bit different, but having never used Alpha Hydrox Soufflé before, I'm not sure exactly how they compare here. Dan mentioned in a comment on a blog post that it's too thick to be used with a pump design, so that might help? The ingredients are fairly similar, but Dan's has lichochalcone. If any of the ingredients in Dan's have given you problems before in other products, then you might be wary. The tube packaging of Dan's is better as the jar packaging of the Alpha Hydrox Soufflé might make it lose effectiveness much more quickly by exposing it to air and light, and stuff in jars is easily contaminated by dirty fingers. Price, too: 1.6 oz of Alpha Hydrox Soufflé is on sale for $15 plus shipping on drugstore.com, while Dan's is $16.11 plus shipping for 6 oz--that's 3.75 times as much lotion for about the same price.

Alpha Hydrox Soufflé ingredients: Water, Glycolic Acid, Ammonium Hydroxide, Cetyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Stearic Acid, PEG 40 Stearate, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Polysorbate 60, Steareth 2, Hydrolyzed Lupine Protein (Peptides), Green Tea Extract, Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Xanthan Gum, PVM/MA Decadene Crosspolymer, Imidazolidinyl Urea, BHT

Acne.org AHA+ ingredients: Water, Glycolic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Cetyl Palmitate, Sorbitan Stearate, Glycerin, Cyclomethicone, Glyceryl Stearate, Butylene Glycol, Lichochalcone (Glycyrrhiza glabra (Licorice) Root Extract), Tocopheryl Acetate, Squalane, PEG-12 Glyceryl Distearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Xanthan Gum, Sorbic Acid, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol.

I still have my AHA Souffle, used it a while ago, and I've used Dan's AHA twice now and I can definitely say that the consistency is different. I like Dan's far more. The Souffle was particularly drying, but Dan has moisturizers in his as well as other good things for acne prone skin. It goes on smoother and doesn't sticky like the souffle did for me.

I'll be holding off on giving a full review after I've been using it for longer. I'll give it two weeks. I'll be using it on my back, too, as I often get a stray pimple there.

I received my AHA+ bottle in the mail today. I love the new white packaging btw. I've only used it twice so far, so I can't give a full review just yet.. But so far I have to say I love the texture of the lotion - It looks and feels kinda like vanilla pudding :)

It's easy to spread and absorbs fairly easily. It's a big bottle, and a pea-sized amount was enough to cover my whole face.. so this will probably last quite a while. I plan on using it once a day from now on, and I will update my review on a later date.

Being one of the lucky ones who got to test the AHA prior to its release, and also one who uses the Alpha Hydrox Souffle on occasion, I can say that I will be using Dan's AHA from now on (in addition to the AHA product I already use, the Avon one). The price is far better than the Souffle, and I prefer the texture of Dan's. It glides on like silk and absorbs rapidly and I can apply makeup within 15 minutes or so of applying Dan's AHA. With such a generous amount of AHA, I can use it on arms, chest and back to reduce sun damage! Woohoo! I'd been rationing my use of the sample as I liked it so well.

Thumbs way up high!

yay!!!!! i just got mine in the mail today and can't wait to use it! i've been using nhsl at night, and am anxious to check this out. i was surprised that the tube is so huge, and i really like the new simplistic product design. as soon as i'm able to use this, i'll give it an initial review, but i'm super excited! question though.... i know dan uses this in place of moisturier, but what if you wanted to use it in conjunction with a moisturizer. right now, i use two pumps of nshl and mix it with a bit of cetaphil. would you recommend just using it straight, applying aha+ first and then moisturizer, or can you mix the two together and apply?

yay!!!!! i just got mine in the mail today and can't wait to use it! i've been using nhsl at night, and am anxious to check this out. i was surprised that the tube is so huge, and i really like the new simplistic product design. as soon as i'm able to use this, i'll give it an initial review, but i'm super excited! question though.... i know dan uses this in place of moisturier, but what if you wanted to use it in conjunction with a moisturizer. right now, i use two pumps of nshl and mix it with a bit of cetaphil. would you recommend just using it straight, applying aha+ first and then moisturizer, or can you mix the two together and apply?

I would apply AHA+ first, wait a few minutes, then apply moisturizer. I personally wouldn't mix them both together at the same time.. especially because AHAs require a different pH in order to work effectively. Speaking of which.. does anyone know the pH of AHA+?

The pH is right around 4. Legally, an alpha hydroxy must be between 3.5 and 4.2 if sold over-the-counter. Even at this pH it really stings. But I like it :)

The pH is right around 4. Legally, an alpha hydroxy must be between 3.5 and 4.2 if sold over-the-counter. Even at this pH it really stings. But I like it :)

Perfect, thanks for the quick reply =]

WTF? "It really stings."

Does this literally mean it stings and burns or does it mean it works?

A mild stinging sensation is normal when first using an AHA.. and it only tends to happen for a few seconds after applying to the skin. Usually it is only temporary, meaning it will disappear after a few days.

How would one use this AHA with a retinoid, and BP. Please look at my regimen below and see how I could fit it in/if it would benefit me.

How would one use this AHA with a retinoid, and BP. Please look at my regimen below and see how I could fit it in/if it would benefit me.

Apply it after your BP.

Well, it stings. Not "really stings" I guess. The sting means it's working. Any AHA should sting a little. :dance:

Well, it stings. Not "really stings" I guess. The sting means it's working. Any AHA should sting a little. :dance:

What a relief lol.

Can't wait for this to come. Thanks Dan!

so i tried the aha+ for the first time last night, and i must say, i'm really impressed. the only aha product i've used is nhsl, and this was by far superior. the nhsl is heavily fragranced and runny compared to dan's. it would always take awhile to absorb. i really like the creamy consistency of dan's, and it absorbs easily into the skin. as far as the stinging factor, i find nhsl to sting more than dan's. actually, dan's didn't sting at all surprisingly. dan's also has a light fragrance, that i actually find kinda of nice.

i like the comparison to vanilla pudding that faydra used. it really is kind of like that. you only have to use a small amount, and the bottle is really big, so i imagine this will last me a good while. i'll give another review after using this for a little while. oh, and just for reference, i applied a little cetaphil lotion afterward since my skin is so dry, but i do find the aha+ to be pretty moisturizing on its own, so i could see it as a moisturizer substitute.

i like the comparison to vanilla pudding that faydra used. i

Hehe, that was Fiyero, actually. I agree, though, it definitely reminds me of vanilla pudding. It even smells kind of sweet which might be the AHA (AHA has a distinct odor) or just my brain associating it with pudding lol. Certainly doesn't bother me.