Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sunday, June 16, 2008

Today I planned to make gluten-free crab cakes for Father's Day. Since I had the ingredients, and wanted to get some Insulin Resistance fighting foods in my diet, I also made Buckwheat Pancakes for breakfast. Now mind you...I am more of a waffle fan than a pancake fan, especially homemade pancakes (never liked the taste), but I was VERY happy with my GF version!

Buckwheat Pancakes (modified from Gluten Free: Quick & Easy)

Yields: 12 - 16 pancakes (doubled the original recipe)

• 1.5 Cups Buckwheat Farinetta flour (highest in d-Chiro Inositol)
  • 1/2 Cup Rolled Oats
  • 4 Tbsp Smart Balance LIGHT (non-dairy)
  • 2 Large Eggs
  • 1 tsp of Sonoma Syrup "Crush" Vanilla Bean Extract
  • 1.5 Cups Rice Dream Enriched Milk (unsweetened), add more if needed
  • 2 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
  • 2.5 Tbsp Xylitol
  • 3/4 tsp SweetLeaf Stevia Plus

Lemon Poppyseed Buckwheat Pancakes

Same batter as above, Yields: 4 small pancakes

• Two scoops of batter
  • 1/2 tsp of poppyseeds
  • 1 Whole Lemon, juice only

This was maybe my...2nd or 3rd attempt at making homemade pancakes...in my lifetime. I added in some natural sweeteners because I didn't have any syrup, nor any fresh fruits that I could use so I needed the batter to be very mildly sweet. It really doesn't take long once the pan is hot (Low-Medium heat). I actually didn't use any oil in the pan just added a scoop of batter waited 90 seconds, flipped and waited another 90 secs before removing from the pan. They turned out warm, fluffy, and quite tasty. Note:The lemon poppyseed could have used more lemon flavor.

Serving Suggestions:

Hot Applesauce (unsweetened), fresh berries or other fruits on top. For Dad, I cut up some bananas, sprinkled with some xylitol crystals (should have used powdered xylitol) and put some maple syrup on the side.

Lemon Poppyseed pancakes - Sprinkle with "powdered sugar". This can be Inulin (Fibersure), powdered Xylitol, powdered Erythritol, etc. To make real powdered sugar you would use Maltodextrin or Cornstarch and your sweetener of choice.

Crab Cakes (modified from Gluten Free: Quick & Easy)

Yields: 16 crab cakes, 3.5 - 4 oz each (Tripled most of the recipe)

Crab Cakes:

• 6 Tbsp Kraft Real Mayo (non-dairy, no fructose)
  • 3 Tbsp minced Green Onion
  • 3 Tbsp dried Parsley
  • 3 Tbsp French's Mustard
  • 3 Large Eggs
  • 3 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
  • 2 Tbsp Old Bay Seasoning
  • 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • 1.5 tsp Celery Seed
  • 3/4 tsp Salt
  • ½ tsp Cayenne
  • 1.5 C Large-sized crab meat
  • 1 Cup GF Bread Crumbs (i.e. Orgran All Purpose Rice Crumbs)

Crab & Shrimp:

• Half of the above mixture
  • 1/2 Cup Crab meat
  • 1 Cup Shrimp, chopped
  • 1 Cup GF Bread Crumbs

Heat the oven to 300 degrees F to keep the cakes warm once fried...or you could bake them. Mix all ingredients together except for the meat and crumbs. Add half of your meat and half bread crumbs, mix, then add the rest of the meat and crumbs. Form palm-sized patties with your hands. Fry the cakes for 3 min on one side and 3 min on the other side (Medium Heat, Olive oil). Place in oven to keep warm.

Crab was freshly cooked and shelled. Shrimp was frozen, shelled & precooked, so we thawed to use in this recipe. Everything was cooked and complete within 2 hours. We had the crab cakes with Spinach, carrot, cucumber & grape tomato salad. On my salad, I used Newman's Own Light Balsamic dressing, but you could also use (Red Wine) Vinegar & Oil or some other fantastic homemade dressing of choice.

For this being a first for me, I was very pleased with the results. I've never had crab cakes (went GF before this became a favorite for Dad). They were very yummy, my personal favorite were the Crab & Shrimp cakes. We had enough for the next day, so I would suggest heating in the oven to maintain crispness. Note:Sodium content was high enough from the seafood, Old Bay and Mayo. Will remove salt from recipe and will use less celery seed and mayo next round.

So these are my adventures. I'll pay more attention in the future to get more exact measurements.

Next Time: Gluten-Free Pizza!

June 22, 2008

OK, sorry for the delay, but on to Gluten Free Pizza!

I'm unfortunately sensitive to certain ingredients so I can't just buy a ready made frozen gluten free and vegan pizza because....it will usually have a type of sugar that I can't consume. Soooo...I decided to make my own...well partially.

I hopped on the Internet and discovered that there's a gluten-free pizza base that I can add whatever toppings I'd like on it! Awesome, so I ordered the frozen pizza and it showed up on my doorstep the next day! The requirements for use of this pizza crust base by Still Riding Pizza is to top it while frozen and put on a pizza pan with holes when cooking, otherwise it's entirely up to you...

Yields: 8 slices

Pepperoni, Tomato & Basil Pizza

• 1 Still Riding Pizza Crust, frozen
  • 4 oz Hunt's 100% Natural/Organic Garlic, Basil & Tomato Sauce
  • Vegan Gourmet Mozzarella, or Monterey Jack (or cheese of choice)
  • Pepperoni Slices
  • Fresh Basil Leaves, whole or chopped
  • Fresh Tomatos (Roma or Grape), sliced or chopped
  • Wild Tree Grapeseed Garlic Oil

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Take out frozen pizza and place on holed pan. Cover w/ a thin layer of garlic oil (use a silicon brush), followed by a layer of tomato sauce. Top w/ tomato, basil and pepperoni and then cover (sparingly or completely) w/ cheese.

I choose to make my pizza half w/ Monterey cheese (sparingly) and half w/o cheese. I let the pizza cook 15 minutes and removed from oven. Sliced and noticed that the crust could cook more and that I like the piece w/ cheese best. So I topped the other half with cheese and put the whole thing in the oven for 10 more minutes.

The directions for cooking leave it up to you for how long you want to cook it. I would suggest 15 - 25 minutes depeding on how thick you want the crust to be. The cheese takes a long time to melt in the oven (not in the microwave though), but it bubbles, melts and leaves a lovely white & brown look to it depending on how long it's in the oven.

The end result? The crust was soft, yet crisp and med. thin. The taste kinda reminded me of the homemade pizza box kits you would buy from the store. Only, I sucked at making those so, this was a nice treat w/o the fuss. The Hunts sauce to me was a bit too salty (and I like salt) but my parents didn't complain! They both thought it was good and helped me finish it off (I had 4 slices over 2 days).

I really did like it and and ordered another box to arrive on Monday. This time I will probably buy plain tomato sauce w/ a lower sodium content and will try something with mushrooms and perhaps (turkey) sausage. Or maybe I will try layering it w/a white sauce or pesto sauce....mmm

Still Riding Pizza http://www.stillridingpizza.com/

Dad's Gluten Free Pizza - Vegan (must try) http://www.glutenfreepizza.com/info.htm

As for the vegan cheese, if interested in more flavors or brands try reading this thread: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/It-is-del...it-t203467.html

If interested in finding a local gluten free pizza near you try: http://www.glutenfreeceliacweb.com/restaur...e-to-pizzerias/

Yes, one day will dabble again w/ actually making my own GF crust. For those that can't wait, here's some recipes: http://glutenguide.blogspot.com/2007/04/gl...free-pizza.html (please share your thoughts)

Next Time: Gluten Free Pastas

Gluten-free rolls made out of Tapioca flour from Simply Deliciouso, a Latin-American cooking show on the Food Network. They looked really good on TV, light and fluffy. Most things without gluten are kind of dense and heavy. This recipe contains cheese.

Cauliflower pizza crust and bread sticks

There are other gluten free recipes on the above site. Look at the list of posts in the right column.

Edited by alternativista

you can make buckwheat gluten free o.O?

I always put it down when I see anything spell with wheat

I just bought stevia extract for baking bread yesterday

( the french bread is in the oven baking as Im typing haha )

From what i read..it doesnt contain any sugar and is super sweet ( I tried 1 drop of it and almost died cause it's super sweet and the taste last quite a while..with a little bitterness mixed with it tho..but it tastes acceptable to me )

http://www.recipezaar.com/180306

** im going to make pasta today too

bought a noodle machine from amazon and never got a chance to use it...cause I forgot to get xanthan gum for my GF flour

but it's going to work this time!

From what i read..it doesnt contain any sugar and is super sweet ( I tried 1 drop of it and almost died cause it's super sweet and the taste last quite a while..with a little bitterness mixed with it tho..but it tastes acceptable to me )

http://www.recipezaar.com/180306

What kind of bread are you making that you would add stevia or any sweetener? Usually there's only a tiny amount of sugar in a bread recipe and that's just to feed the yeast, not for flavor. And the yeast really doesn't need it. It's probably to speed things up, which we don't want. And stevia would not work for that. Unless it's a sweet bread of course.

What kind of bread are you making that you would add stevia? Usually there's only a tine amount of sugar in a bread recipe and that's to feed the yeast. And the yeast really doesn't need it. It's probably to speed things up, which we don't want.

I AM A DIABETIC, YOU ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK, FOLLOWING THIS DIET WILL CHANGE THE SKIN REMARKABLY.

Chocolate Garbanzo Bean Cake (gluten-free!) Recipe

Ingredients

* 2 eggs .

* 1/4 tsp baking powder .

* 1/2 tsp vanilla .

* 3 tbsps unsweetened cocoa powder .

* 4 pitted dates .

* 1 c canned chick-peas, drained, rinsed, & loose skins discarded

Directions

* Step #1 Add all ingredients to a mixer or food processor/blender & puree.

* Step #2 Pour into one 9 inch pan or two mini spring form or cake pans.

* Step #3 Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 mins or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

* Step #4 Cool completely before frosting.

* Enjoy the Chocolate Garbanzo Bean Cake (Gluten-Free!) recipe

--------------------------------------------

This was in a gluten free cake recipe:

# G.F. Flour Mixture

# 6 cups of white rice flour

# 2 cups tapioca flour

# 1 cup potato starch flour

There are links to several more gluten free recipes here:

http://www.grouprecipes.com/sr/37398/choco...en-free/recipe/

I'm looking for ways to use garbonzo beans in place of flour in cookies. Would also like low/no sugar at the same time.

Heavenly Chocolate Hazelnut Cake Gluten Free Recipe

Ingredients

* Cake:

* 2 1/2 cups real semi-sweet chocolate chips Nestle's is GF

* 1/2 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter

* 1/2 cup toasted finely chopped hazelnuts or filberts, skins removed

* 2 tablespoons sugar

* 4 eggs, slightly beaten

* Glaze Ingredients:

* 4 (1-ounce) squares semi-sweet baking chocolate

* 1/4 cup whipping cream

* Garnish Ingredients:

* Melted chocolate, if desired

* Toasted chopped hazelnuts, if desired

Directions

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom and sides of 8-inch springform pan; dust with powdered sugar.

2. Combine chocolate chips and butter in 2-quart saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth (4 to 6 minutes). Stir in nuts, sugar and eggs. Pour into prepared pan.

3. Bake for 28 to 32 minutes or until edges begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely. Remove sides of springform pan; place cake onto serving plate.

4. Meanwhile, combine baking chocolate and whipping cream in small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth (3 to 4 minutes). Cool 5 minutes. Pour over top and sides of cooled cake. Refrigerate until set (at least 1 hour).

5. To serve, drizzle plate with melted chocolate, if desired. Sprinkle with hazelnuts, if desired.

6. Recipe Tip

7. To toast hazelnuts, bake at 350°F. for 9 to 11 minutes. Rub in a wet dish towel to remove skins. If skins don’t come off, continue baking for an additional 5 minute

Note:

Very little sugar besides what is in the semi-sweet chocolate. So you should be able to switch to bittersweet and use a sugar substitute without worrying about the loss of bulk from sugar.

All Nut Crumb Crust

From wholefoods.com

Serves 8 (one 9-inch pie shell)

Ingredients

2 1/4 cups finely ground blanched almonds

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/3 cup melted butter

2 tablespoons pure maple syrup

Method

Thoroughly mix together all ingredients in a medium bowl. Using fingers, press dough into a 9-inch pie plate, evenly pressing up the sides. For pies that call for pre-baked shell, bake at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes. Cool and then fill with desired pie filling. For baking pies directly in this crust, to prevent burning, keep oven temperatures down to 325 to 350°F and adjust cooking times as needed.

Nutrition

Per Serving (40g-wt.): 230 calories (180 from fat), 20g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 6g protein, 8g total carbohydrate (3g dietary fiber, 4g sugar), 20mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium

Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Breadsticks or Breadcrumbs

serves 1

1/2 cup cauliflower florets

1/4 tsp onion salt

1 whole egg

1/3 tsp dried herbs

1 tsp butter (optional)

dash of olive oil

Wash and de-stem the cauliflower florets. Steam in bowl for 1:30 in the microwave. Combine with all other ingredients in blender and pulse until relatively smooth.

Pour mixture into a non-stick pan or spray with olive oil. Depending on how you cook the eggs (scrambled or pancake-like) you can either obtain a breadstick or breadcrumb-like texture.

Most people tolerate butter and it really gives the recipe a cheese-like flavour, but it can be omitted.

You can cut the breadsticks and dip into tomato sauce, or use the breadcrumbs on top of romaine with olive oil and lemon juice to make a complete meal.

Adding a tsp of raw broccoli florets to the mix before cooking would make the texture more bread-like, as this recipe is rather soft yet flavourful.

West Indian Potato Curry

courtesy of Foodland Ontario (foodland.gov.on.ca)

2 Tbsp vegetable oil

2 onions, sliced

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 tsp minced fresh ginger root

1 Tbsp curry powder (or to taste)

2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed

2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed

4 canned tomatoes, coarsely chopped

1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock or water

1/2 tsp salt

In saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onions, garlic and ginger until softened. 2 to 3 minutes. Add curry powder; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add regular and sweet potatoes, tomatoes, stock and salt, bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender

Coconut flour thread with recipes for pancakes and such:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Greatest-ever-t254046.html

One link has instructions on making the flour.

There are also many recipes for gluten free pancakes and cereals in the breakfast threads:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Food-and-...ce-t205099.html

Edited by alternativista

I have a sibling with Celiac Sprue. Anyone who can't eat gluten should become familiar with a few raw food recipes --- the recipes raw foodists invent out of such a restricted diet that can't contain any grians is simply amazing.

I will be making their zucchini pasta (noodles made of fresh zucchini noodles - zucchini put through a pasta maker), raw food pizza and raw food lasanga.

The food is sooooooooo tasty.

Also, for those of you who are gluten free, Google "Raw food" restaurants in your city. Raw foodists can't touch any grains so their dishes are all gluten-free :). And delicious!

Gluten free French Boule (crusty round bread) made using the 5-minutes per day method in which a lot of a wet dough that you stir together, not knead, and then keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks where it continues to ferment, which is a very good thing, and take out portions to shape, rest for about 40 minutes and bake whenever you want fresh baked bread. Which is really the only way to eat bread. Other stuff isn't worth the negatives.

http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?p=1396#more-1396

Gluten free Naan (Indian flat bread. this version is made on the stove top in an iron skillet)

http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?p=1440

On this page there's a recipe for sourdough noodles and a gluten free bread made with quinoa, amaranth and buckwheat flour. In the notes it mentions:

Some people react to guar gum, so xantham is better. If you also react to that, try pectin. If still no go, try the bread without it, it will just be a little heavier.

So thats what the xantham gum is for.

I've since learned you can use flax or chia seeds as well.

Edited by alternativista

Primal Substitutes for Non-Primal Foods

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/low-carb-su...#comment-514158 It's a good bunch of mostly grain free recipes.

Allergen free recipes. No eggs, gluten, etc. Unfortunately not no sugar.

Brownies: http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/allergen-free-brownies

Cinnamon Bread

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/allerg...nnamon-toasties

http://www.wholeliving.com/recipe/classic-...free-crumb-cake

Allergen Free Bakers Handbook

Gluten free flour mix from above book:

Makes 6 cups

* 4 cups superfine brown-rice flour

* 2/3 cup tapioca flour or starch

* 1 1/3 cups potato starch

Directions

1. To measure brown-rice flour and tapioca flour, use a large spoon to scoop flour into a measuring cup, then level it off with the back of a knife. Do not use the measuring cup itself to scoop your flour when measuring; it will compact the flour and you will have too much for the recipe.

2. Add both flours to a large resealable plastic bag, along with potato starch and tapioca flour; reseal and shake until well combined. Keep refrigerated until ready to use, up to 6 months.

Edited by alternativista

Just saw this recipe pop up on allrecipes and it looks really decadent. Not healthy of course, but it could be modded to not be too sweet and it's gluten and grain-free. Personally, I'd make the cake with dark chocolate chips and make a semi sweet ganache... which wouldn't be too thick. Instead of the white chocolate glaze, I think I'd serve with some freshly whipped cream and/or berries.

Ghiradelli Triple Chocolate Truffle Cake

Ingredients

• 3 cups Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

• 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature

• 8 large eggs, chilled

• 1/4 teaspoon salt

• 1/2 cup heavy cream

• 1 cup Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Chips

• 2 ounces Ghirardelli White Chocolate baking bar, chilled

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Arrange a rack in center of oven. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9 by 2-inch round cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.

2. In the top of a double boiler or in a heatproof bowl over barely simmering water, melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips and butter, stirring occasionally until smooth. Cool slightly.

3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl with an electric mixer fitted with the whip attachment, whip the eggs and salt on medium speed until doubled in volume, about 5 minutes. Gently fold the whipped eggs, a third at a time, into the melted chocolate. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan.

4. Prepare a water bath for the cake by placing the cake pan in a larger pan, and filling the large pan halfway up the sides of the cake pan with hot, but not boiling water.

5. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan and is set in the center. Remove the pan from the water bath to a cooling rack, and cool the cake completely in the pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. To remove the cake from the pan, dip the pan in warm water halfway up the sides and run a thin metal spatula around the inside of the pan. Invert onto a plate to unmold and remove the parchment paper.

6. To prepare the ganache, bring the heavy cream to a simmer in a small saucepan over low heat. Pour the heated cream over the milk chocolate chips. Stir gently until smooth and allow to cool slightly. When the ganache is still warm to the touch, pour over the top of cake and spread with an offset spatula to evenly cover (There will be some ganache leftover.)

7. Chill the cake until the ganache sets, about 30 minutes. To garnish, grate the white chocolate bar on top of cake.

buckwheat pancakes, eh? Gonna have to try 'em ^^

This weekend I plan to go crazy with kefir recipes... one of them will be buckwheat kefir pancakes and I hope they come out good! Kefir is awesome for soaking flour.

This weekend I plan to go crazy with kefir recipes... one of them will be buckwheat kefir pancakes and I hope they come out good! Kefir is awesome for soaking flour.

You are supposed to be inventing gluten free Swedish pancakes.

You are supposed to be inventing gluten free Swedish pancakes.

Don't you worry, I didn't forget! I shall perfect the swedish pancake.... despite the fact I don't think I'm Swedish at all.

Gluten-Free Swedish Pancakes (or crepes)

4 eggs

2 cups milk

1/2 cup oat flour

1 T sweetener of your choice (stevia, maple syrup, honey..)

a pinch of salt

2 T melted butter

Get an electric skillet warmed up to medium low/medium heat. In a mixing bowl, whisk your eggs. Then mix in remaining ingredients. Pour a thin layer of batter onto the skillet, seriously, thin. You may need to spread it a little bit if it doesn't spread on its own. When the top stars looking dry, which will be within 2 minutes, cut your pancake into 2-4 smaller pieces and then flip. Let them finish cooking for another couple of minutes or when they're golden brown. Roll em up and serve.

Notes: I used rolled oats which I ground up into flour and then soaked for 24 hrs in kefir. This results in a wet, fluffy flour. I used slightly less milk because of this, maybe 2 T less than what I wrote above. I used raw milk, but I think coconut milk would work just as well if you don't mind the slight coconut flavor. I also think you could use any other finely ground flour of your choice. I almost added an extra egg... you could do this if your pancakes aren't holding together well.

Toppings to try: fresh berries, fresh whipped cream, sauteed apples or pears and cinnamon, butter, maple syrup, jam. It's really good to roll up whatever you pick inside the pancake.