Notifications
Clear all

Fermented Cod Liver Oil...really any better?

MemberMember
(@sleaman)

Posted : 06/22/2008 3:56 pm

I was checking out this Cod Liver Oil http://www.greenpasture.org/products/fermented-oil/1039 since I have read a lot about the benefits of fermented versus normal cod liver oil. Does nayone have any knowledge or experience in the subject? only take one serving right now of carlsons, so the price of this isnt really an issue since it will last a while. Thanks in advance for any advice or information.

Apparently this is how they used to make "in the day", because my grandma told me they used to take fermented cod liver oil. thats what got me researching it, since i have learned a lot fo good healthy things from her(she's 102 and still very active, so she must be doing something right). From what I found it is higher in nutrients, not necccesarily omega-3. It is not heated at all so there is no chance of nutrients or o-3's being destroyed through heat. I havent found a whole lot and this is one of the very few companies that sells it.

MemberMember
(@dingo-jellybean)

Posted : 06/22/2008 7:02 pm

As far as I know, there is no known benefit. At $40 for an 8oz bottle? That is absurd. It's funny how they list it as "237 servings" as opposed to an 8oz bottle (if consumers knew they were getting an 8oz bottle, less sales would be involved). You're better off buying digestive enzymes along with regular cod liver oil. Additionally 1/2 teaspoon is a serving to them.

My question is, wouldn't fermented CLO break up the long chain omega 3's? Because I know fermented foods are much easier to digest and because long chain omega 3's are not as easy t digest as MCTs, then wouldn't this take out the main property of CLO?

MemberMember
(@freshpowder)

Posted : 02/08/2014 5:06 am

Any cod liver oil that is not fermented looses its key nutrients.

If you mainly get acne during the winter or when lacking sunshine, then you need cod liver oil.

For the price and servings you get and the amount of help it does for acne, it is well worth it.

If you buy synthetic D3 and some fish oil pills, you are robbing yourself from hundreds of forms of nutrients in the natural version.