Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LadyJemima

Hmmm... three questions (BP and moisturizer/oil)

So...I've been on the Regimen since late May.

I've seen a definite decrease in the acne on my cheeks and forehead--am still struggling with chin acne (my worst spot) but I'm optimistic. :dance:

I'm having three issues, one with the BP and two with the moisturizing.

#1: Flakiness. I'm sure this has been discussed in detail in the past. I cannot possibly moisturize in those areas any more than I am. When this happens, should you back off the BP in that area until it goes away? Should I be exfoliating those areas with a washcloth?

#2: This is really, really weird, but I think I am mildly allergic to the moisturizer/jojoba oil. When I put it on--particularly with jojoba oil--I have this minor but annoying itching and constantly am putting my fingernail up to scratch my face.

#3: The moisturizer with or without jojoba does not seem to absorb. This creates a HUGE problem for me when I want to wear makeup (which is most of the time).

Any advice for a newbie?

hey sounds like most of your problems could be solved with a new moisturiser! flakes are difficult but reducing the amount of bp is not really preferable until your clear and you know how much you can get away with.

first id say try the jojoba on its own, do you still get the itch? some people have said dans moisturiser makes them itch, it certainly makes my face burn a little which i havent had before. if you find the problem is just dans moisturiser, id recommend getting one of the cetaphil or complex 15 ones that people on the board here love, do a search, they can be very moisturising, especially when you add some jojoba and should sink into your skin fine before your make up and hopefully will calm down the flakes. if you find its the jojoba id suggest maybe trying emu oil or another oil and see if that helps when added to dans or another moisturiser. some people are allergic to jojoba but you can find alternatives.

also id recommend looking into an aha moisturiser, something like lac hydrin 5 or neutrogena healthy skin, which contain a chemical acid which exfoliates your skin without the added irritation. these can be quite strong though so make sure not to add them in until you've been on the regimen at least a month and still go slowly with them!

hope this helps and you continue to have success!

So...I've been on the Regimen since late May.

I've seen a definite decrease in the acne on my cheeks and forehead--am still struggling with chin acne (my worst spot) but I'm optimistic. :dance:

I'm having three issues, one with the BP and two with the moisturizing.

#1: Flakiness. I'm sure this has been discussed in detail in the past. I cannot possibly moisturize in those areas any more than I am. When this happens, should you back off the BP in that area until it goes away? Should I be exfoliating those areas with a washcloth?

#2: This is really, really weird, but I think I am mildly allergic to the moisturizer/jojoba oil. When I put it on--particularly with jojoba oil--I have this minor but annoying itching and constantly am putting my fingernail up to scratch my face.

#3: The moisturizer with or without jojoba does not seem to absorb. This creates a HUGE problem for me when I want to wear makeup (which is most of the time).

Any advice for a newbie?

You sound EXACTLY like me! :ninja: Acne worst on the chin, flakiness even with endless moisturizing and the weird jojoba oil irritation which all just leads to difficulty with wearing makeup... I hope more people would come to this thread and give some advice.

I still haven't found the right moisturizer that actually works. I have to apply my current moisturizer every 2-3 hours or anytime of the day I feel bothered to. :doubt: And being in the UK, I never get to find the US products that are constantly suggested on this boards.

I've been on it about as long as you it sounds. I find if I wait about 5 minutes, the moisturizer will eventually absorb. I guess everyone's skin is different, though. Have you tried drying your face with a blow dryer on the lowest/coolest setting? I sometimes do that if I'm in a hurry and it seems to help speed up the absorption. I have issues with the flakes too and I moisturize like a fiend. In addition to using the DKR moisturizer after the BP application, I use Clinque's Moisture Surge Extra moisturizer on top of my make-up if I have the flakes really bad (you can do that with this product) and that seems to help somewhat.

I've been on it about as long as you it sounds. I find if I wait about 5 minutes, the moisturizer will eventually absorb. I guess everyone's skin is different, though. Have you tried drying your face with a blow dryer on the lowest/coolest setting? I sometimes do that if I'm in a hurry and it seems to help speed up the absorption. I have issues with the flakes too and I moisturize like a fiend. In addition to using the DKR moisturizer after the BP application, I use Clinque's Moisture Surge Extra moisturizer on top of my make-up if I have the flakes really bad (you can do that with this product) and that seems to help somewhat.

I thought I was the only one blowdrying my face!

LOL

:D

Hey, a girl's gotta do whatta girl's gotta do.

;-)

I'm bumping this up because I have a new question. I've returned the jojoba oil (caused itching) and stuck it out with the moisturizer, which is working better now without the jojoba. I struggle a bit to keep my face soft with no flaking, but so far I am just managing it.

Problem: still having acne on my arms and chin. (Cheek, forehead, and chest acne has all but dissapeared, YAY! :dance: ) I think my problem may be exfoliation, particularly the arms. Someone earlier had suggested:

also id recommend looking into an aha moisturiser, something like lac hydrin 5 or neutrogena healthy skin, which contain a chemical acid which exfoliates your skin without the added irritation. these can be quite strong though so make sure not to add them in until you've been on the regimen at least a month and still go slowly with them!

I have a few problems as well. I just recently started the regimen (this week) and I have redness on my cheeks beside my nose, right below my eyes...Could I possibly skip this section when doing the regimen due to that part of my face being flawless anyway? I never before put BP on this part of my face, I'm almost certain this is why it's happening.

Also I don't find the moisturizer absorbing that much either...All day I have a sticky/itchy face and I find myself randomly itching my face which can become a problem due to germs under nails, etc...Yet I don't want to be too quick as to throw out DK's moisturizer. Any ideas?