Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Miss Josette

The Only Time I've Been Clear

I've been on this forum for around 3 years. I have went months and months without posting, but back when I first joined I was living in Georgia, a very rural town, when I decided to try altering my diet to see if it affected my acne. It was about an hour drive to a regular grocery store like Wal-mart, let alone a health food store. In my town, we had one stop food shops with practically nothing but "junk" food.

The attempt I made was half-hearted, and not sustainable, even if I would've been able to keep up with it - I would've lost my mind. I was eating skinless meat and veggies only for dinner. I didn't eat lunch at all. And my breakfast was two Subway or Popeyes chicken biscuits, (preferred Subway).... That was pretty much it. My parents didn't follow any healthy diet and ate the usual processed stuff, so I could never eat with them. When I ran out food for myself, I was too afraid to eat out at that point because of all the food stories I'd read on here.

Basically, for a couple of days, I was starving, not eating enough to keep a bird alive. The reason I created this topic was because I've read several posts here in the past from people whose acne got worse due to an eating disorder like anorexia - their skin broke out. I experienced the opposite.

My face cleared up almost instantly. 100% clear with no redness at all (I've said in previous posts I believe I have mild rosacea)...... My skin was turn on the bright light & stare in the bathroom mirror flawless. I haven't had skin that good since I was a little kid. That's never happened again. I've been lowering my carb intake for the past few weeks thinking that might help and I've seen slight improvement, but nothing noteworthy. And thinking back on that time makes me wonder if it wasn't what I was eating, but the fact that I wasn't eating much at all. I don't usually get sick, but on the rare occasion I was stay in bed sick, my skin would do the opposite of what others reported here and clear up some. When I was that sick, I was never that hungry.

In no way am I advocating not eating. Having experienced that, however, does make me wonder if low carb could ever be enough for me. Could it be possible that my body just doesn't work properly when it comes to food? I've been extremely lactose intolerant since I was about 13, but when I was about 7 years old, I was hospitalized once for stomach/constipation problems. To this day if I don't take in a lot of fiber, I can have problems. And many times my stomach bothers me after eating for no apparent reason even if I eat a healthy meal, (not constipated, already done my business for the day), leading me to believe my disgestion and ability to break down food (any food) seriously sucks.

Am I really carb sensitive/insulin resistant? Or is my body just doing its job very poorly when it comes to any food?

Can't help but wonder.

Calorie Restriction is the best way clear acne, imo. Google "benefits of calorie restriction," you'll learn lots of info. Lot of times on these boards we keep talking about what to eat. But some times its what we don't eat and most importantly when we eat. (the frequency).

I would say it just means your acne is in some way related to the food your eating. Finding that specific cause or causes can be difficult. You are probably already familiar with all the usual causes (sugar and food allergies being the biggest). The few times I have been clear have been during times of fast, like when I was in the hospital all doped up on painkillers. Hardly ate a thing, and my skin cleared within a week. I have never seen such a drastic improvement so quickly.

i got some acne newsletter and this guy was saying you should eat large meals because then the foods with get "pushed" out of your body faster.

so idk

That sounds like bs. Bowel movement is controlled by alot of things, intestinal flora, smooth muscle contraction and food makeup to name a few things. Eating a big meal may result in massive dumps, but it won't "push out" things. A fiber rich diet will help do that naturally. I would say in general, many small meals are better in that you don't suddenly bombard your digestive track and dilute your enzymes too much and cause blood sugar spikes. But listen to your body, if you are really hungry, it probably means you need a large meal.

In no way am I advocating not eating. Having experienced that, however, does make me wonder if low carb could ever be enough for me. Could it be possible that my body just doesn't work properly when it comes to food?.

I think your perception of a low-carb diet is off--by no means should a low-carber eat skinless chicken and vegetables for dinner. That meal's calories would probably be over 80% protein, and would have very little fat.

Low-carb-low-fat diets are very hard, not to mention unhealthy, to maintain.

I don't deny the benefits of calorie restriction, but all I'm saying is that low-carb diets are only healthy if they are done properly, and there are some easy-to-make mistakes that need to be avoided.

It's interesting that you bring up the sick thing--because most animals don't eat when they are sick. Humans are the only ones that force orange juice and soup down their throats when they are sick. But in my opinion, the human body should be able to seamlessly use dietary fat, and body fat, so that when it's sick, it doesn't need any outside food source, and can instead take whatever it needs from its fat supplies. Indeed, the last time I was sick (back in March, with a cold) I didn't eat for two days, and I'd never gotten over a cold faster in my life. And I didn't take even a sip of soup or a single Emergen-C package.

I've been wanting to post about this for a long time. I have the same situation. I have tried zero carb diets, low carb diets, low fat diets, high fat diets, regular (eat whatever) diets, no sugar diets, mono fasts, including the infamous apple fast, pretty much every supplement you can think of (go ahead and ask if u think I haven't tried one).

I have spent thousands of dollars of my own money which I don't have a lot of on foods and supplements. At max I get like 50% clearer for all my effort. And Yes I give these things actual time to work.

The only thing that significantly clears my skin very quickly is complete fasting, water only. The problem is that after having absolutely terrible skin for 8 years, I am really depressed all the time and I turn to food for comfort lol. So I have repeatedly tried "fasting for clear skin" and it gets me maybe 75% clear within 4-5 days, but I can never go longer than that.

I always say "this time I will make it x days (enough to get completely clear), but I always give in before I see that day. Plus, I think what will I eat if/when I do get clear? U can't fast forever, ya know what I mean.

So frustrating...

Alta beat me to it!

As I was reading the original post, all I could think of was the fasting factor. According to everything I've read up on it, it can really do wonders for your body and therefore your skin. Coincidentally, there's a great article about fasting in the latest issue of Men's Health.

Thinking about trying a 24 hr fast this weekend after reading it.

If fasting clears you, your problem IS food.

I can guarantee you it's not EVERYTHING you're eating. It's specific things, specific types of foods, and if you experiment enough, you may figure it out.

I would try super high meat and fat diet first (this works for a lot of people) with very low to zero carbs. If that doesn't work, go in the opposite direction and try super low meat and low fat with high carb.

Also, for everyone who isn't having success with diet alone - work on your sleep. Read my guide on Healthoid, sleep is very very important.

In no way am I advocating not eating. Having experienced that, however, does make me wonder if low carb could ever be enough for me. Could it be possible that my body just doesn't work properly when it comes to food?.

I think your perception of a low-carb diet is off--by no means should a low-carber eat skinless chicken and vegetables for dinner. That meal's calories would probably be over 80% protein, and would have very little fat.

That's not all that I'm eating now while eating lower carb, that's part of what I was eating back then when I got 100% clear in a matter of a couple of days. And I wasn't eating very much of it - or anything else.

About fasting....I've never really seen that much of a point to it. You can't continue to fast, and as soon as food goes back into my mouth I would start breaking out again. Going through an endless cycle of that would be torture. To go from such perfect skin back to the same old breakouts over and over would kill me.

AltaPGT - it's oddly comforting to know someone else has this issue.

Maybe if I didn't have constant stomach problems no matter what diet I'm on, didn't become lactose intolerant at thirteen and wind up in the hospital even before that, I would be more inclined to believe it's a specific food/ingredient. But those factors, combined with the fact that not eating ANYTHING is the only thing that clears me just makes me think my body isn't any good at what it's supposed to be doing with food. I've never thought to turn my attention to it before, but maybe it would be better if I focused less on avoiding foods and tried to find a way to improve my body's performance when it comes to food in general.

A little more about my stomach issues....I tend to have them after lunch or dinner (or both if I have both that day). Lunch/dinner is always lower carb - meat and veggies and salad. Nothing that I would think should be causing me to have stomach problems. And yet, after eating either of those is when I tend to have them. Not always, but far too often for it to be normal. It never happens after I eat breakfast.

What do you have for breakfast on your lower carb diet?

Listen, I used to have the exact same problem when I was eating grains/gluten. I would get terrible stomach pains the day after I ate lots of bread and i'd get the pains when I ate healthy food like fruit or salad. It was like the grains were doing some kind of damage to the lining or something, and then when I ingested some 'real' food for it to break down, usually the next meal, the pain would come. It's only after I've been eating paleo for a few days without cheating that I can happily eat the real healthy foods.

Also, just how long did you give the high/moderate fat low carb diet to work? Were you eating lots of fruit or drinking fruit juice?

Why don't you try skipping breakfast, its called Intermittent fasting and lots of bloggers do it. They dont eat until dinner most days and then they have a large paleo meal and are perfectly healthy. I dont believe in lots of little meals, our ancestors certainly didnt eat 5 times a day, probably 2 at most and the big meal was later after a kill, and sometimes not at all if unsuccessful. Keep it varied, skip meals if you beleive in the evolutionary debate on health.

Fasting can be very good for you but not if you break it with junk food, that's really really bad and will ruin your digestive system, it did mine. This is the most likely cause. Bombarding your stomach with gluten and other crap while its in the middle of rest and repair, with no digestive enzymes, completely shut down due to the fast, is the worst thing you could do.

Good luck.