Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bob20

Facial crater scar similar to acne - got hit in the face with a watch

Hey all,

About 3 weeks ago I got hit in the face by a drunken mate on a club dance floor accidently with his watch. His watch is solid made of metal and is pretty sharp.. so it scarred my skin. I didn't bleed though, it just seemed to scrape and scar my skin.. looks identical to an acne scar.

I've got a scrape of indentation along with a little 'crater' on my skin upper cheek left side/along cheek bone where the skins tight (below the temple of course)

Here is a picture of the scar:

http://img516.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scarus1.jpg

I have been pretty self concious about it lately and have been feeling down.. I finished a full course of Roaccutane back in January because I had pretty bad acne skin and Roaccutane cleared it up with no indentation crater scars.

This just tops it off.. I get clear skin and now this happens, damnit!

I've been cleansing and then moisturising my face everyday as per usual but I'm rubbing the moisturiser more into the scar as I've read a bit about what to do. If I go out in the sun I'm also applying sunscreen so it doesn't pigment..

The scar crater spot is actually a different colour to the rest of my skin, its like a pale red..

Will this scar repair and look normal again? How long does it normally take to heal and go normal?

P.S I am 21 years old.

Please help.

Surely somebody out there can give me some tips or help me out on this? I'm really worried.

Thanks

a picture of the scar would help.

But for the most part, I wouldnt think so, that doesnt sound liek the type to heal easier than acne scars.

I myself have an inch scar on my skin from a cut. But it doesnt matter, I think it look sexy

And dont be so selfconcious of it, it is probably not that noticeable to other people as to you. Everyone has small imperfections, 1 scar won't turn anyone off

I will upload a picture later on..

Well my skin didn't get cut though, it didnt bleed...

The watch very quickly scraped my skin as I think the dude punched the air not realising my face was in the way *how lucky*

It has seemed to scrape a chunk out, not too deep looks like possibly 2nd layer and an acne crater. No blood what so ever.

Many of people say you dont scar without breaking the skin.. well my skin scraped/broke/whatever you wanna call it but didn't bleed.. hmm

I will upload a picture later on..

Well my skin didn't get cut though, it didnt bleed...

The watch very quickly scraped my skin as I think the dude punched the air not realising my face was in the way *how lucky*

It has seemed to scrape a chunk out, not too deep looks like possibly 2nd layer and an acne crater. No blood what so ever.

Many of people say you dont scar without breaking the skin.. well my skin scraped/broke/whatever you wanna call it but didn't bleed.. hmm

Hmm..I have problem with scars as well something similar kind of happened to me. I used honey to heal it quick (honey also has antibacterial properties to fight infection, infection = guaranteed scar), then it filled in and I used Mederma to remove all traces of the scar.

Good luck man.

Btw..I thought I saw a post like this on Yahoo! Answers...coincidence?

No coincidence, I posted there as well for answers heh..

Thing is with this 'scar' I looked in the mirror straight after it happened and I could see where the watch scraped my face.. got home and had a further look, looked like an 'acne crater' and it hasn't gotten much better since then either..

I'm pretty pissed off about the whole thing cause I had smooth skin in that area before, now this is my worst scar and its affecting me hard.

ur young so ur scar will most likely heal. try putting vitamin c serum on it, i feel like that helps tremdously on scars especially fresh ones.

I hope so :(

I really didn't need this to happen, I was ultra confident the way I was looking and didn't care anymore and now it's all I worry about. I'm in a bad mood all the time and don't even care about anything anymore..

Mind you it's not too bad but still I absolutely hate it.

I read putting Vitamin E topically can hinder the scar from healing correctly. I did a little reading about Vitamin C Serum also and apparently it drys up the skin, which isnt good for scars in it's healing stage.

The thing is, I dont even know if this scar of mine is healing.. Will it heal?

When the watch hit my skin it felt like a burning sensation of blood rushing to the area. These are obviously inflammatory cells rushing to the injury area (skins response to repair I think?)

I really hope my skin recognises this is an injury and repairs it properly :(

yea try vit c serum 1st and see how u go , dont over do it if youre not satisfied go for an array of treatments... btw its 1 scar stop fussing sheesh... :/

FakY - I used to have absolutely shit looking skin. Alot of redness, massive pimples. I'm pretty sure it would kill me to ever look like that again. Of course I'm going to fuss over one scar.

It wasn't there and because of somebodies stupidity of raising their hand in the air rapidly past my face, I have a scar out of it.

I can only hope it heals properly and all is good.

Question though:

Will the scar heal if I dont put anything on at all

Just cleanser and moisturiser regularly keeping the area moist?

yes but dont over do it , keep the area moist to let it heal properly . dont over cleanse especially if you're still acne prone

To elaborate on what the scar looks like

It looks slightly depressed, I can see the 'edges' of the good skin around the scar.

Can this type of scar heal properly?

If so, how long does it usually take? 1-3 months?

depends how you take care of it , id suggest visiting your dermatologist or a plastic surgeon and get some professional advice

My next appointment is scheduled with the derm end of July, I can't get in any sooner.

Here is a picture of the scar:

http://img516.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scarus1.jpg

What do you all think? (Keep in mind this picture was taken in day light, the scar looks worse in dark lighting kinda)

See how similar to an acne crater scar that looks like.. what a piss off!

Thanks all..

I cant believe I feel so down over this.. I actually do feel so depressed like I can't smile or be happy.... I'm so pissed off 24/7.

Before this I was so absolutely confident, talk/chat up girls etc etc now I dunno... It's like I think twice... For 4-5 years I was self concious about my acne, it finally fucked off and I was ontop of the world with the most confidence.. This has thrown me all the way to rock bottom and I hate it.

Bahhhhh I hope this shit heals.

How long have you had it?

Don't worry man, it will heal, like I said--pure honey is a miracle worker for speeding up the process.

And @thepic I can't really see any depth other than some redness.

Also, it's very important to keep the wound as moisturized as possible. And like others have said, putting vitiman E on it is NOT a good idea; this is a very bad piece of information that people now trust and use everyday. Putting VE on it can actually give you more of a scar and lead to dermatitis.

The scar could be lasered quickly to vaporize any remaining scar tissue that had formed to enable to good skin to reconnect. Do you have a good laser center nearby? HTH

Hey all,

About 3 weeks ago I got hit in the face by a drunken mate on a club dance floor accidently with his watch. His watch is solid made of metal and is pretty sharp.. so it scarred my skin. I didn't bleed though, it just seemed to scrape and scar my skin.. looks identical to an acne scar.

I've got a scrape of indentation along with a little 'crater' on my skin upper cheek left side/along cheek bone where the skins tight (below the temple of course)

I have been pretty self concious about it lately and have been feeling down.. I finished a full course of Roaccutane back in January because I had pretty bad acne skin and Roaccutane cleared it up with no indentation crater scars.

This just tops it off.. I get clear skin and now this happens, damnit!

I've been cleansing and then moisturising my face everyday as per usual but I'm rubbing the moisturiser more into the scar as I've read a bit about what to do. If I go out in the sun I'm also applying sunscreen so it doesn't pigment..

The scar crater spot is actually a different colour to the rest of my skin, its like a pale red..

Will this scar repair and look normal again? How long does it normally take to heal and go normal?

P.S I am 21 years old.

Please help.

I've had this scar for 32 days now and I'm making sure its moisturised at all times.

I'm rubbing the moisturiser in for about 15 seconds and while im doing that I apply pressure on the spot for about 10 seconds to get the blood circulating to the spot (I read somewhere its good to do that) (Also applyin sunscreen on the spot when out in the sun at all times)

If I dont put pure honey on it then would it still heal properly? I'm not really sure what to do to be honest.

How long have you had it?

Don't worry man, it will heal, like I said--pure honey is a miracle worker for speeding up the process.

And @thepic I can't really see any depth other than some redness.

Also, it's very important to keep the wound as moisturized as possible. And like others have said, putting vitiman E on it is NOT a good idea; this is a very bad piece of information that people now trust and use everyday. Putting VE on it can actually give you more of a scar and lead to dermatitis.

If it has been steadily improving day by day it will heal to a certain extent. If you have noticed little to no change since you got it, it is probably permanent. Like with other wounds on your body you can tell yourself if they are healing or not. Its unfortunate but accidents happen, like someone above me said you only have one, it will definately not affect your chances with girls at all.

32 days isnt enough time to tell though is it?

I'd imagine 1/2 more months to actually see a decent change if it is healing properly...

I dont understand why getting hit with a watch would create an acne crater type scar, fucking stupid shit skin. Of all places I get knocked along my cheek bone where the skin is tight.

Pretty sure this is fucked.

A month is a very very long time for a wound not to even start healing. I'm sure you've been injured before, the wound repairs itself straight afterwards it doesn't wait like a month or 2 before it gets started. As someone who still plays competitive sport rugby/soccer and has done for many years i've seen all sorts of abrasions, cuts, bruises and even a broken arm (not mine) so when it comes to non acne related injuries i know what im talking about.

The type of injury you described is rather common among cyclists shins. I've had some mates who do mountain biking lose chunks out of their shins when they chain or whatever hits it with minimal to no bloodloss kind of looks like someone attacked them with a screwdriver, the bottom of the scar is still flesh coloured though. The mountain biking thing was what first came to mind when i read your story. Possibly roaccutane made you more prone to scarring thats what some people on this forum who took it sometimes say, also you mentioned your skin surface is thin which would contribute to what happened.

Don't get any procedures done while your still in this state, give yourself some time to take it easy before you decide on a further course of action.

You would have seen major healing in the first 7-10 days which is how cuts and abrasions heal after they have been cleaned out.

Well my skin isnt too "thin" I guess though..

The area where the watch hit my face is flesh coloured which sucks, like a minor chunk got torn away..

It's not really a wound.. Its a bad indentation scratch really that just hasn't gone away

What can I do to help the "scar" repair this then?

Do I wait for my body to heal it on it's on?

I really dont have any idea what to do and my derm appointment is at the end of July which is way too long for me to wait out.

Thanks

I'd appreciate anybodies opinions.. I feel stuck in a hole right now.. Fkn scar.

The derm will most likely say it's no big deal and reccomend options listed on this board if you want to persue treatment. Unless the scarring is severe most derms will reccomend doing nothing unless you really push them. On the other hand there are a few who will try and push the most expensive treatments on you regardless of whether they work or not. There isn't much left to say, hope you still are talking to your mate with the watch and it didn't ruin the friendship. Do something to take your mind off it for a while, if you focus on it too much it will drive u insane.

Hey Bob man

Been like more then a year since I saw u last posted. Damn sorry to hear about the watch scar but overall your skin looks good. Man... I still breaking out, maybe it adult acne or something. Ummm maybe u can use Retin-A? from what my Derm said it kinder helps with the marks but for deep scars? Ummm probably not. Looks like the mark is half healed, I think it takes time for it to fade to your skin colour so its not that visible, but its looks deep man. U should kill your friend jokes! All the best Bobby man!!