Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UKwanderer

What CAN you eat???

Hi all,

I've spent a lot of time looking over all of the forums in the past few weeks, in attempt to try and get rid of the awful acne that seems to have developed on my face since christmas.

Its become clear to me that food choices so indeed effect your skin and that certain things should be avoided to try and identify what works for you (i.e. dairy produce).

However, there doesn't appear to be a great deal of information on what we ARE supposed to eat and things that are definately not going to cause any serious problems with the skin.

I'm a regular guy living in a regular house in the UK. When i look through our cupboards it seems there is literally nothing that I can put together for my lunch/dinner that will keep me healthy and in-line with reccomendations.

The other problem being at work, when I need to be able to get something from the local shop or convenience store to keep me going for the day.

If anybody knows of a good selection of off-the-shelve foods/meals that are going to enable me to eat healthier then it would be much appreciated, as it currently seems as though there is nothing left for me to put in my stomach.

Umm try this

Breakfast boiled eggs

snacks something like almonds and avacado a fruit that aint sweet (but not to much)

Lunch try something like Canned Tuned or chicken breast make sure its in spring water and with some green vegetables.. pick something easy like maybe frozen peas ,beans and brocilli

Dinner try some Beef steak , Roast turket something basic,,with some vegetables

Umm try this

Breakfast boiled eggs

snacks something like almonds and avacado a fruit that aint sweet (but not to much)

Lunch try something like Canned Tuned or chicken breast make sure its in spring water and with some green vegetables.. pick something easy like maybe frozen peas ,beans and brocilli

Dinner try some Beef steak , Roast turket something basic,,with some vegetables

try these in your deit .. they really don't affect acne,, keep it plain and simple with cooking

try these food ,Brown Rice , potatoes( try getting the red ones ) pumpkin, green leaf vegetables,,

To be honest there really isn't much stuff you can eat.. you pretty much gotta eat the same stuff day by day..you could make it intrested by cooking it a different way..haha.. try a deit of meat and vegetables,, try to avoid fruit and see how you go for a week..if you belive your acne is getting better add another element in your deit,, and see if your acne flares up

Its crazy that should sound like hard work, but it really does. I mean its such a bland and plain diet that i will have to prepare every meal myself and god knows what ill do when im at work.

I will do my best, and many thanks for your help mate, much appreciated.

I usually cook alot at night.soo it last me for tomarrow until dinner, when i'm at work i justed put it in the microwave .yea its a hard thing to do..

But the effort you put in it... i'm sure you'll see the results

There are like hundreds of fruits and vegetables you can eat, and all are almost certainly good for you, just choose the most nutrient dense ones (berries, apples, broccoli, spinach, etc.). If your craving for something sweet, eat fruits. You can eat canned sardines or herring. They contain a high concentration of Omega-3's which are anti-inflammatory and have very low concentrations of mercury, enough to be able to eat them every day. Lean beef is good, especially since they contain zinc which many people have found to improve acne.

Yeah, its true you have to sacrifice your palate for a while, but I try not to think about what I'm eating. Usually I carry cans of sardines and bags of vegetables or fruit around in case I'm hungry and theres nothing good around. You can eat in restaurants too if you want, just pick something healthy.

There are like hundreds of fruits and vegetables you can eat, and all are almost certainly good for you, just choose the most nutrient dense ones (berries, apples, broccoli, spinach, etc.). If your craving for something sweet, eat fruits. You can eat canned sardines or herring. They contain a high concentration of Omega-3's which are anti-inflammatory and have very low concentrations of mercury, enough to be able to eat them every day. Lean beef is good, especially since they contain zinc which many people have found to improve acne.

Yeah, its true you have to sacrifice your palate for a while, but I try not to think about what I'm eating. Usually I carry cans of sardines and bags of vegetables or fruit around in case I'm hungry and theres nothing good around. You can eat in restaurants too if you want, just pick something healthy.

Well, I'm not a doctor, so my knowledge comes mostly from information I collect from this site and all over the internet. But my own diet is based upon the paleo diet, including another factor that leans toward anti-inflammatory foods since acne is an inflammatory disease. I chose to remove grains entirely from my diet (except for brown rice, which my parents force me to eat sometimes XP). I do this because 1) many people have cleared up holistically on this site this way 2) Grains contain high levels omega-6 acids that convert to arachidonic acid and promote inflammation (check nutritiondata.com for food info) 3) If I can get most of my carbohydrates from vegetables, all the better right?

If you think about it, even whole grains may be a cause for trouble, since though whole grains are better than refined grains, they are technically the same type of carbohydrate except for the additional germ and the bran layer.

Either way, a lot of factors are involved. I chose to do this since I can handle replacing grains with vegetables and fruits, so even if it doesn't make a difference on my acne at least I know I gained something without sacrificing much. Diet may or may not be a factor in your acne, and even if it is, grains may not be a culprit. Mind you, it is a bit hard to collect enough calories on my diet.

Many thanks to both of you who replied to this. I truly beleive that you may well be on to something with this. It makes complete sense that Acne must start within and simply plying your exterior with creams and lotions isn't going to remove the root of the problem.

I dont want to speak to soon, but after 3 days of eating 100% properly and strictly, i seriously beleive I can notice a VAST difference in my skin. Although its a struggle to obtain sufficient calorie intake of these rations, its certainely a great incentive to continue when you see the results...I'm just looking into improving my way of going about things and hopefully finding a few more tasty meals to add to my day.

Thanks again.

I can't quite understand why brown wholemeal bread would be bad for you though, this is for me a perfect breakfast, but obviously its not doing me any good then i don't want to continue with it.

It's bad for you if you can't digest grains or are allergic to gluten.