Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay, here is my story. Maybe some of you all have had this particular issue also and will know what I need to do different.

Late in January 2008, I started the regimen using Nuetrogena On the Spot and a washcloth to exfoliate - within a few weeks I was up to the full amount and having no trouble. I also used topical clindamyacin and doxycycline. My normally very oily skin took to that beautifully. I would use sunscreen daily due to taking the anibodic and moiturize using Mary Kay Timewise as needed. I had very little flaking/breakouts - my skin seemed to LOVE the treatments.

Flash forward to the begining of May 2008 - I started using DK BP gel, but didn't change anything else in my routine. After a day or two I noticed a lot of peeling, so I alternated off and using that with the Neutrogena. Suddenly, all of my skin (even my eyelids, where I never use any kind of product) became very dry and tight feeling - but the oil on my face increased greatly. After a few days the dry skin sloughed off, and my skin felt kind of waxy and new. I had to use tons and tons and tons and tons of moisturizer (bought Oily of Olay intensive hydration hoping it would keep my skin from flaking off during the day and night) to keep my skin of continuing to peel off. I still could use some BP but nowhere near the amounts that I had before. My skin was incredibly oily though - to the poing where I felt like I was sweating, but it was oil coming out of my skin, not perspiration.

I noticed that if I used anything that was oily, breakouts would start back up again and my pores seemed to be more clogged and enlarged. The skin in my T-zone feels twitchy almost constantly.

Now, I can't seem to use any BP and my skin is rough and red and peeling like I've had a sunburn, and I haven't. By the end of the day my T-Zone is so oily that I can soak through a papertowel. I'm not sure what else to do that won't irriate my skin more, but stop all the dryness/flaking/oil issues. Any suggestions? How can I get rid of the flaky skin and still use BP to control breakouts?

Any help is much appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

So how long have you been using the acne.org BP? One month? Are you using it all over and the full recommended amount? I just ramped up to two pumps and find that my skin is doing better than when I was just using one pump. I am super careful in my application to avoid that tight (and in my case, burning) feeling around the eyes and neck. I wash my hands after handling the BP and I apply moisturizer to the non-BP areas first to avoid getting any BP in them. Not sure if this is helpful to you, but I think it's made a difference for me.

So how long have you been using the acne.org BP? One month? Are you using it all over and the full recommended amount? I just ramped up to two pumps and find that my skin is doing better than when I was just using one pump. I am super careful in my application to avoid that tight (and in my case, burning) feeling around the eyes and neck. I wash my hands after handling the BP and I apply moisturizer to the non-BP areas first to avoid getting any BP in them. Not sure if this is helpful to you, but I think it's made a difference for me.

Hmm..maybe your skin doesn't like the gel BP. Your skin was fine before you started to use it so maybe the gel BP is the culprit. Maybe there is an ingredient in the gel that your skin doesn't like.Let your skin heal and then go back to using NOTS.

Hmm..maybe your skin doesn't like the gel BP. Your skin was fine before you started to use it so maybe the gel BP is the culprit. Maybe there is an ingredient in the gel that your skin doesn't like.Let your skin heal and then go back to using NOTS.

I agree with Gidi, I'd go back to the Neutrogena, if that's what your skin seemed to like most.

I had a real flaky peeling problem. I've had Dan's Jojoba oil for two weeks now. I put 3 small drops in what ever moisturizer im using and mix it in my hands and apply. I have to say.. it actually works. Try it. Also, i put some in my conditioner and my hair doesn't frizz as much. Go to it on this site and there are a bunch of uses for it.

I say stick with Dan's BP. Just don't use so much if your skin is irritated. More importantly, use Dan's moisturizer, and use a lot. After applying the BP, wait until your skin is completely dry, maybe 30 minutes or more. Then layer on the moisturizer. My skin is now clear thanks to the moisturizer, and I don't use as much BP as Dan recommends. My skin would burn if I did. But I do use a lot of moisturizer, maybe a full pump applied to the lower half of my face and neck. My skin now feels and looks great.

Thanks for the responses ya'll.

I haven't used much BP at all - which is part of the issue I'm having. If I stop using it - I do start to break out again unfortunately. I've just been spot treating the areas with the nutrogena on the spot treatment.I know I tend to break out more and hoping that takes care of that for the time being.

I don't think I'll go back to using Dan's BP - at least for now.

But, I'm still fighting the flaky/oily issue. I tried some jojoba oil this weekend - so far it hasn't helped with either problem. I used a lot of moisturizer and oil and not much BP at all. Does it take a while to kick in and re-balance the skin? Today, my skin is incredibly oily - but also is flaking off - every few minutes if I look in a mirror I see more white stuff coming off. I still have the creepy crawly feeling in my t-zone too. It makes me want to rip my skin off - it's such an odd feeling. Has anyone had that issue with either kind of BP?

I wondered if a product with gylcolic acid in it might be helpful to get rid of the flaky skin - I don't want more irritation though so I was afraid to use that in case my skin really freaks out.

I had the flaky/oily problem for years, even while using moisturizers. I followed the regimen for several years and my skin always felt horrible. But since I started using Dan's moisturizer I never have flaky or oily skin. I even apply the moisturizer over my nose and under my eyes and never feel oily.

It may take a few days of heavy moisturizing before the skin balances out, especially if your skin is healing. I don't know about the jojoba oil - I've never used it - but there's some in the moisturizer. And I don't know about gylcolic acid. But I've used nutrogena on the spot treatment before (probably when I first found this site) and it felt pretty bad on my skin. Other than Dan's BP, Pro Active was the best BP I've used. But I really think you should keep going with Dan's products.