Notifications
Clear all

sunflower seed butter?

MemberMember
(@longfellowdeeds)

Posted : 06/05/2008 6:55 am

i was gonna use this as a substitute for peanut butter, anyone got the lowdown on it, is it bad for acne like peanut butter?

thanks guys

MemberMember
(@jen121)

Posted : 06/05/2008 7:08 am

I've been looking for this in stores but have had no luck

MemberMember
(@tasha90)

Posted : 06/05/2008 7:16 am

Hmm, have you tried a health food store? Anyway, Sunbutter is really delicious (you have to get the "Natural" kind, not the "Organic" kind..."Organic" tastes really bad and has a weird texture), but it is best to use sparingly as sunflower oil can be inflammatory. A little bit should be okay though.

MemberMember
(@longfellowdeeds)

Posted : 06/05/2008 6:40 pm

are all nuts inflammatory?

MemberMember
(@bran88)

Posted : 06/05/2008 7:22 pm

i live on this stuff! I seriously eat it every day, either for a sandwich or with green apple slices or baby carrots...mmmmm. Unfortunately I haven't cleared my acne yet, but I dont think that the sunbutter is to blame (at least i hope not!!) I buy mine at whole foods, it's in the nuts nut-butters section.

MemberMember
(@rakbs)

Posted : 06/05/2008 7:45 pm

If you are not allergic to sunflower, then you should be fine.

Just keep in mind that sunflower oil has a very skewed ratio of omega-6s to omega-3s. If you choose to eat it, make sure you're balancing it out somewhere else.

Alternatively, use walnut butter (better omega ratio) or coconut oil (balanced omega ratio).

MemberMember
(@longfellowdeeds)

Posted : 06/05/2008 8:24 pm

yeh, i just read its like peanut butter, a lot of omega 6's. apparently walnuts are high in omega3

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 04/25/2016 7:06 pm

I'm insanely triggered by sunflowers seeds

MemberMember
(@icogito)

Posted : 04/25/2016 7:31 pm

I am not a nutritionist to give you any valid advice on the subject, but I remember that my aunt would get some pimples when she had sunflower seeds when I was a kid. And she had a very nice skin too..barely any pores. And everyone kept telling her not to eat them. haha I felt they made my skin oily when I did eat them. I can't even imagine what butter out of them would do. But everyone is different though!

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 04/26/2016 2:13 pm

I tried it but hated it its tastes really greasy and oily to me .