Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vanessa88

Second log - Back on Roaccutane 3 years later

Well here I am again...I have another topic somewhere so will have to dig it out, I logged the whole journey last time. As a quick intro I was on Roaccutane (accutane) from July to November 2005 and was clear until last year. Since then I have been on various antibiotics again but none of them working. I went to my derm today and have decided a second round of tane should help.

Not entirely sure whether I'm looking forward to the next few months or not after the last time, but hopefully soon I shall have clear skin again :)

Pictures to follow soon hopefully...

EDIT:

I have been prescribed 60mg/day for 4 months initially with a possibility of extending this to 6 months.

Had to have another blood test for lipids this morning as the last test didnt cover it, hopefully it will return OK. My derm has kind of made a half private half NHS prescription as he was rude to me saying 'I'm a spotty thing again now' so after a complaint he said I should be able to get tane on the NHS in a few weeks. Still means hanging about waiting though :(

My skin hurts today, all round my mouth is broken out, can't wait to start taking tane again to hopefully get it sorted for good...

Good luck, I hope the second course will work out for you. I am thinking I may have to have a second course...mine is only after a year...but hey, whatever works right? I will keep looking in on your log, so please keep up dating! Best of luck!! :dance:

<3 Jessica

Thanks Jessica :) its good to see someone checking back...I'd made some fantastic 'friends' and found some great support through my last log and that really helped me pull through tane because I found the side effects very hard to deal with. I just wish I could log in to my old account but I can't remember the password and don't have access to the email account its assigned to!

I'm still waiting for my scrpt to come through and can't wait...I woke up this morning to find another outbreak on my chin which is making talking very sore, not good when I work in one of the biggest garden centres in England! I quit taking any more prescription meds for my acne when I found Im going back on tane because they're doing sod all, and Im in touch with a homeopath who is giving me some meds before I go on tane and stuff to help with the side effects...

Anyway gotta go get dinner, will write more later.

xx

So I went back to my derm at the County Hospital on Monday, did all the final checks and picked up my roaccutane, this time on the NHS as a private consultation costing £150 would be needed each month for a pregnancy test to allow me a new supply for a month.

I'm on 60mg/day for four months initially, possibly extending this to 6 months with a 2 month low dose course straight after as I don't want to be doing this again!

Today is day 6 then, I already have the dry lips and tingling, dry skin round my mouth like I did last time. Though I'm sure I didnt experience this so soon last time but will have to check my old log. Other than that I have had an increase in headaches and aching joints when I have been dancing but thats it really.

I went to Tesco on Monday and stocked up with all my supplies that I used last time...

Blistex

T Gel

Tresseme moisturising conditioner

Aussie reconstructer conditioner

Baby oil

Baby moisturiser

Vaseline

Sun block

Eye drops...the list goes on!

I have noticed that I have a few more cystic-type spots on the nape of my neck and on my chin, but the skin on my face and that around existing spots has already dried up, though they sting like hell when I put any makeup or moisturiser on at all. Not a good sign since I was like this halfway through my last course and nearly gave up on the whole thing cos it hurt so much.

Hopefully the improvements will keep coming though...so far so good :)

I had to moisturise every hour at work today! I work on the tills in a big garden centre and talking to the customers made my skin feel as if it was cracking open...I have taken to carry a complementary shampoo bottle filled with baby moisturiser in my pocket along with my blistex.

A guy at work asked me on a date a week tomorrow...Im a bit worried as my skin is majorly breaking out and I have no idea what he thinks of it...we shall see what happens.

My chest is now clear and I have few actives on my arms now which is all good. Hopefully my face will follow suit...

Something that is worrying is that I have chest pains when I breathe out - I'm not sure if this is accutane related but it seems coincidental with starting back on the drugs. I have asthma but its nothing I've ever had before, and didnt get it last time I was using tane. Strange.

My scalp is really dry, I mean majorly. I used T Gel last night but its still flaky, itcy and dry. Think Im going to Tesco to get some Head and Shoulders tomorrow as its not a good look really. I cant remember what I used against the dry scalp last time, but I know I ended up with cradle cap again, and I thought that was just for babies!!!

I think Im going to pack this whole thing in again. Im having such bad chest pains that I am nearly in tears and can't breathe. Im tearful and irritable too which I'm not normally like. My face is itching and my lips are sore. I forgot how crap accutane makes you feel.

On top of this my car has decided to need an entire exaust which my bank says I cant afford, so add this to my debt to my parents. Oh the joy. As well as replacing all the tyres today...everything comes at once!

I hate the way this stuff is making me feel. I want my clear skin back again. Not much to ask for. Im not doing this for a third time. No way.

Hey! I am really really sorry to hear that things are off to such a rough start for you. I still haven't made my decision on whether or not to go back, but I know how rough it can be. I really really hope things look up for you. Head and Shoulders makes a soothing lotion that you can use on your scalp and its leave it, so its nice. It doesn't make your hair look dirty or anything, once it dries, your hair still looks just as clean and nice as it had before. I used to use it before bed because thats when it would be the worst, but anytime works. It just comes in a little squeezy bottle. I don't know if you guys have it. I am really hoping you the best of luck for accutane, and for all else! I know how stressful life can be! ;) Best of luck!!

<3 Jessica

Thanks Jessica :) today I'm happier, I just have to keep reminding myself of the end result and that it was worth it last time so just to stick it out this time. It took me a good 4 months to decide whether to have another round of tane or not, Im now remembering all the ups and downs of last time!

I got some Head and Shoulders soothing shampoo to use which has reduced some of the flakes but my scalp still itches. Having a black Halfords uniform isnt good...I need to ask work to change the uniform! lol. I will keep an eye out for that though, thanks :)

Luckily my dad has come to the rescue with my car and has offered to pay for my exhaust which is fantastic! At least I don't have to worry about that now, just waiting on my friend to phone with a quote for the cost of the replacement, then get it sorted tomorrow. At the moment im wondering how I'm going to get to work 30 miles away...I could go on my motorbike but its raining :(

My skin is sore today and stung when I was in the shower with the heat. Although where my skin is clear I can see that the skin tone has already changed I still have a lot of actives everywhere other than on my cheeks. Again my chest and arms are clear now apart from the small red marks which disappear so thats all good.

Well today has been cr*p. I was at work and found talking to the customers when on a till for 8 hours absolute agony as I forgot my moisturiser, having said that it did no good no matter how frequently I applied it last week. My lips are bleeding despite using deep moisturising lipsalve and vaseline and I ache like anything. This stuff makes me feel...weird. I don't feel like 'me' if that makes any sense and I hate it - I'm not normally irritable or tearful but at the moment I am both and Im pretty sure its not hormonal; Im pretty in tune with my body in that respect.

Granted there's other things happening which are going to be a major factor but this is horrible - after a tearful moment on mum (we'd both had a bad day!) she reminded me of the reason I'm doing this, and that I can give up any time. But thats not me either and it never will be; if general GP and OTC meds don't get rid of my acne after 10 years of fighting it then Im pretty sure tane will be the only thing to do it once and for all. For the second time.

On a positive note my arms and chest have stayed more or less clear. The areas of my cheeks which don't have any actives have stayed clear too and the skin tone has changed to appear more normal, less oily and smoother. Im just waiting for this IB to pass so the real healing can start again...

you gotta stick with it! just think when you feel your face itch and it feels dry and sort of hurts, that is the accutane working at killing your zits. stick with it because when it is said and done and your acne is gone you will be so glad you didnt stop

hey,

i was just reading your blog and wanted to offer some encouragement. please try to do the best thing for yourself whether that is staying on tane or going off it . apparently the second time is often harder than the first but i hope you find the strength to stay with tane and watch it heal your skin again.

keep your head up and keep going!!!

all the best!

xx

p.s. - at least you got asked on a date! you must be really pretty :dance: i hope it goes/went well?!

Hey Sotret99 - I know, someone else reminded me that when I'm feeling it then its the tane working its magic...Im feeling better about my skin today as I woke up with no new spots round my mouth which is fantastic :) let's wait and see...

APL - thank you for the support :) last time I blogged my tane journey I was always in touch with a few people through my blog and it makes things soooo much easier because I can talk to my friends about how I'm feeling but they have no idea having not had acne. And I notice you're from england?! whereabouts?? I wouldn't call myself pretty really, you'll be able to judge for yourself when I finally find my camera cable and get some photos uploaded...! Unfortunately I had to postpone it (we were supposed to be going out 2m night) but due to my exhaust falling off my car and 4 new tyres I can't afford it this week and I had double booked to go out on my bike but that's now fallen through so I have no idea what I'm doing! Oops. Are you on tane/regimen at all?

Update: work today was better. I have taken to drinking 2l of water a day which seems to be doing 2 things; flushing all the rubbish out of my body very rapidly (!) and keeping my lips from drying up, its working a treat. I was still applying lip balm every 1/2 hr at work though to make sure I could still talk to customers. Other than that its been a good day regarding how I'm feeling, a lot less tearful though theres still things stressing me out (potential relationships, family and money to name a few!) and less achy. I finished work early to help at a rock n roll dance display at my local town's annual street party themed rnr this year, got there and all went well! It was good fun and increased my confidence - I have no idea how I danced in front of all the people who made my school life hell 4 years ago. They all have kids in tow too. And I'll have a career and money. Not to be rude but I know whos shoes I'd rather be in...

Talked to my friend who is a student homeopath and has been giving me many remedies to support me for the last few months (a bit prior to tane) and she is sending me some mahoosive omega 3,6, and 9 pills and some other stuff to help including asking for one of my sacred tane tablets to make a homeopathic version. Apparently the idea is to cancel the side effects by treating like with like. Hmmm. We shall see - maybe I will have the ultimate support for people on relatively high dose tane experiencing the side effects?!

Hi Ness!

Just wanted to offer my support as well! Im a seond timer myself so I can relate

We just have to stay focused on the end goal I guess

Stay positive and hydrated :)

Hey sunrise - thanks for the support :) all second-timers together then! It does seem tougher this time around...whether its because Im hoping to God that this will sort it once and for all while still having the doubt that it didn't work first time, so why should it work this time...?

Update: today I woke to find a new spot just under my bottom lip and it hurts like hell. However mum commented on how the area between my jaw and ear is clearing up and getting bigger and all the current spots look a lot less inflamed. I can agree with this - everything seems to be drying up nicely which is good. I've swapped lipbalm from the Blistex moisturising to the Blistex daily lip conditioner in the pot. A bit more vaseline-like it seems to keep my lips feeling better for longer but is still has that greasiness that the moisturiser doesnt so I may start to alternate. Still drinking lots which is causing problems as Im forever needing the loo now!! :o

The aches seem to be dying down now and I think the IB is finally starting to wear off, just as I start my third week on tane. I'm now using Polytar liquid scalp treatment religiously to try to combat the flaky scalp which I seem to be doomed to have this time round which I didn't have last time. When your work uniform is black its not a fantastic thing to have to put up with. I also have a little bottle of Oilatum intensive scalp treatment which I've not tried yet but may alternate between that and the polytar.

Overall a fairly good day and starting to feel better about all this at last!!

Two weeks down...14 to go :)

EDIT: I have just looked in the mirror to find that my eyes are bloodshot again in the corner nearest my nose in each eye. Not a good look and one that has been common the last week or so. Any ideas if this is tane related or should I get it checked out?!?!

DAY 16

Last night I had really bad back pain. I've never really suffered with my back before so it wasn't fun, I was awake until 2am when I decided to take some pain killers. Been painting a friends house today which has left me with aching shoulders but not feeling too bad today. My skin is stinging today though. Work tonight went well and I could talk to the customers without being in too much pain which is good considering the two mahoosive actives I have on my bottom lip right now.

Emotionally this stuff can send you mad Im sure, Im so much more irritable and tearful now Im on tane again, something I don't normally feel. Especially with friends. Doesnt help that we're on a 4 month vacation from uni and I'm the most northern of us 4...the other three keep in touch all the time and I'm just here. :(

I'm working 4 days straight this week which should test me...especially with the lack of sleep. My face is drying up nicely though, as long as I can persevere with the stinging and pain...

I got some new homeopathic remedies through the post today from my friend - she sent off a roaccutane tablet so that she can give me the homeopathic form in the same potency to combat the side effects...I start taking them tomorrow and only take one per week for the time being.. I also got those mahoosive horse tablet style omega 3,6&9 which should hydrate my skin from the inside out without making it greasy or clogging my pores. Here's to combating the side effects!!!

Delayed update as I have been really busy...with work and making the most of the sun while it lasts by going out on my bike! Did 167 miles on Monday :o

My skin is really dry. I mean REALLY dry. Its flaking off my face in sheets, I have exzema on my arms, my skin is peeling off the backs of my hands and thumbs where I've had my bike gloves on and vinyl gloves at work. My scalp is still not good and I've had a blister the size of...well its about 3cm x 2cm and its lasted a week. Think I'm going to be talking to the nurses at my appntnt on monday but Im worried they will want to drop the dose which means being on the tane longer.

My skin doenst actually appear to be improving. I am still breaking out big time and I don't actually see a improvement in the number of severity of the spots. And Im 1/4 of the way through the course. Going to look back on my old log and see what was happening 4 weeks in last time. Im sure things were starting to clear up by now...

My face stings like hell when I put moisturiser on too, and Im trying not to wear makeup every day but I think its turned into an addiction, especially since Im out the house every day. I could always live in my bike helmet and never take it off...?!

Oh the skin on my arms is peeling too, very odd. Kind of like Ive had sunburn really.

Skin tone wise, my face has big red blotches all over, and the spots formed during this extreme breakout have left biiiig red scars. They were more like cystic spots so have left scars of up to about...maybe 5mm diameter. Big on your face, very obvious. Im using BioOil to halp reduce this and to increase skin hydration. It takes about 3 months to show any improvment but hopefully by then my skin will be in better condition!

I had my checkup with the derm clinic today and they were happy that all is well, peeing in a pot is never going to lose its joy :S I told the nurse about the exzema on my forearms and she prescribed some Betnovate cream to use as thats what I had last time. Now I have my month's supply...

Not sure tane is actually doing anything though, I mean my skin is still really bad. The spots are drying up but they're still appearing. I'm sure my IB should be well and truly over by now...

On a very positive note I booked my favourite rnr band for my 21st birthday party next June as its joint with my mums 50th on the same day and my mates 50th the day after...they were booked every sat apart from the one I wanted on my acutal bday, must be fate! SO cannot wait, its gonna be great. Only thing is that most of my mates aren't into the 50s music or dancing so I'm inviting those that are...which gives me about 10...oh what a loner I will look. Going to have to do something separate with my uni mates in Summer. Woohoo!!!

Back to my skin...My chest and back remain clear, and my skin there feels completely different. Its not dry but its not greasy, it feels good. No lumps, no sore spots, just nice clear skin. I hope my face starts taking a leaf out of their book soon or I'm going to start losing patience :( I was tempted to ask for a bump up in the dose today but decided against it since then the s/effect would be MAJOR...

The heat here is ridiculous and its humid. Not that us Brits should be complaining about nice weather but its making my skin itch like crazy.

Is taking 3 showers in a day going to make it worse...?

It could possibly make it worse because the more you wash your face, the more oil your face has to produce. that said, im not saying to never wash your face because then there would be too much oil. i think a shower in the morning and one at night is good. and also wash your pillow case every so often.

True, though I was showering without wetting my face extensively - it didn't appear to make my skin any worse.

Im taking a homeopathic version of tane to fight like with like and it has dramatically reduced the soreness and dryness without reducing the effectiveness of the tane. That as well as the massive horse-tablets of Omega oils...absolutely fantastic stuff.

Update: Yesterday i forgot to wear concealer! Put foundation and powder on but not concealer and my skin actually looked OK. Had to today but it seems to show the dryness up as white flaky skin so I may steer clear again. Got a few nasty ones round my mouth that are sore but they seem to be clearing up pretty fast.

Hated work today, full of bitchy people. I cant cope with the mentality of them! Drives me insane. Forgot to take a few pills last week but dont think its gonna affect anything majorly.

Gotta go - going out again 2nite, gonna be knackered but its all good :)

Hi, I just wanted to applaud you for being strong and going through with this. That's great about your back and arms. I'm sure your face will soon follow :) I'm very interested about the homeopathic remedy, a friend of mine is a homeopathist too, I guess I should have asked for her help! I also wanted to ask what your dr. said about a second course of tane- I've been on it once and am considering it again, does the second time work better than the first? Thanks- and happy belated birthday.

Hey -

thanks for the comment - pm to follow :)

I'm now on week 6, sorry for the late update but things have been mad! I've been working a few 12hr shifts at work having just quit my weekend job so trying to keep my weekday job going. Plus I've had to get out on my bike while the weather has been nice and I have petrol money!

Its nice to see someone saying Im doing well getting through it...tane is tough stuff and its the 'takes one to know one' kinda thing with it I think. You cant know what its like til you've had it. Luckily my face is looking better. I've swapped my washing to only using tepid water and a clean flannel (changed every other day/3 days) using it to take the dry skin off leaving nice skin underneath. This is not only taking the horrid scabby bits away but leaving the nice skin open but got to make sure you moisturise loads - I tend to put a load on to soak in (Johnsons Baby Moisturiser), do my teeth while it soaks in, then put more on before my makeup.

Looking OK though as things are clearing up faster than new spots are appearing which is great news :) finally seeing a difference. Still lots of red marks and big red scars under the makeup but they will fade in time again no doubt.

I'm taking loads of homeopathic remedies...

1. Calcium sulphate tablets to support my skins healing, 4 tablets four times a day

2. Udos Choice balanced Omegas 3,6 and 9 (from vegetarian sources, no yukky fish!) 2 tablets, three times a day

3. Australian Bush Flower Extract, 7 drops in water twice a day

4. Syphillinum, 5 drops twice a day in water.

5. Homeopathic roaccutane tablets, one every other day to combat s/effects

However I've been interviewed and questioned for hours by my homeopathic student friend who is a family friend and knows me inside out - as everyone's different people will need diferent remedies so its important to have the consulatations first.

My practise nurse kept pushing hormonal BC pills on me but as I have SAD and the last time I had Dianette it screwed me up I refuse now, so I demanded to be rereffered. She agreed after having me on a/biotics for another year or so. I finally got to my derm again so put me straight back on it via the NHS, pushing me through so I didn't have to wait so long or I would have gone private again if I could afford the extra consultations for preg testing!

I think that the side effects are more prominent second time round. Whether this is because my body has a memory of the tane, like with antibodies etc, or whether its just that I knew what to expect this time Im not sure...but things like my exzema appearing within weeks this time whereas it was the last few weeks it appeared on my first course...

However I have felt really 'down' and low the last few weeks. I know that the nights are closing in rapidly and the weather has been appalling so no sun, all this will be making my SAD worse. Add this to the changes in my mood last time I had tane and I'm going to have to keep an eye on it. I have a few people looking out for me but one is struggling emotionally himself so I think we need to keep an eye on him more!

My backache is still bad which isnt fun,meaning sleepless nights still. Hoping that will start to lessen though...

My skin is nearly clear! I went to bed the other day feeling a bit low about the lack of progress my skin seems to have made recently, and woke up the next morning doing a double take in the mirror as I hardly had a spot to be seen. Granted there are still red marks and red areas but they will fade and are not noticeable under makeup but I have two actives and no mahoosive spots! :D absolutely buzzing with that improvement...feeling so hyped about it. Plus people have been commenting on how good my skin is looking and I have acutally had guys look at me in the passing and smile whereas I went unnoticed before. Not many but its a start!

Just coming up to half way through and Im happy :) derm clinic to pee-in-a-pot and be jabbed by the vampire on Friday, hope they're as happy as I am!

hey vanessa!

hows the tane going recently-? hope that your skin is continuing to improve and that the actives have stopped! how long have you been on this course now? also was just reading the supplements that you are taking and was wondering what you think of them- which one is most effective [i know its hard to say what positive reactions are to the different tablets and such when you are taking them all at the same time tho!]

anyway i take it u are still on tane- hope its going well and things are continuing to improve !!!

xx

Hey! Yeah I have another month left on the tane, been on this course for 3 months now. I'm more or less clear, having the occasional spot come up but nothing too major. Im seeing my derm on Thurs and asking for a short maintenance dose to make sure I have really blitzed my skin so I don't have to do this again (hopefully).

The Udo's Choice blend of Omega 3 oils are the best I reckon, they stopped all my joint aches and helped my skin heal. The Australian Bush Flower mix is also great as it combats any 'low' times when my emotions take a battering though to be honest I've been so busy rushing about and moving that its been a godsend if I have actually remembered the tane, never mind the supplements. I have to admit I've even forgotten the tane quite frequently but shhh! don't let my derm know!

Hows things for you?xx