Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ts93

Differin BREAKOUT???

This is either my 2nd or 3rd week on differin and I just had a Massive breakout... Painful pimples under the skin lots of redness and huge pustule everywhere... This is the worst my face has looked in around a year :confused:

I know an initial breakout with Differin is expected, I stopped taking Cephalexin antibiotic for 4 days while camping (forgot to bring it... big mistake) and that's when I broke out....

I'm back on the antibiotic now so will that help me clear up??

Do you ever break out twice when on Differin?

Also when do you stop breaking out?

I heard you see results around week 7 if it's working.

I too am interested in knowing. I'm in my 4th week in and my face is THE WORST it has ever been. At this point, even if it healed, I can't imagine it looking better just because of how awful it has gotten. I have acne were I've never had it before and am even getting cyst for the first time in my life. I feel like I want to kill myself and may just do it if my face isn't perfect in the next two weeks (and I wish I were joking.)

ughhh I'm at this point too. I hate it! it's like. my face is a tomato garden and differin is actually miracle grow. I know you have to wait 3 months for improvement.. but i don't want to look ridiculously hideous for the next two! I've been taking ibuprofen and haven't gotten cysts yet so that's good.. but i'm broken out in tons of tiny pimples..i hope this gets better and soon! it makes me want to switch to something else :(

My IB lasted week 3 to week 5. It was different areas of my face. My chin cleared up first then my forehead and then cheeks last. I was pretty miserable.

By week 7 I was clear and only dealing with red marks.

Now I am in week 10 and couldn't be happier! Stick with it, it will get better

My IB lasted week 3 to week 5. It was different areas of my face. My chin cleared up first then my forehead and then cheeks last. I was pretty miserable.

By week 7 I was clear and only dealing with red marks.

Now I am in week 10 and couldn't be happier! Stick with it, it will get better

your the only reason im gonna wait til week 7 seriously...

I don't like hearing this, I just started Differin last night... :( I have a little over 3 months before college... looks like I'll be cutting it close! Keep me updated, I hope yours clears up! Check out my blog for my updates if you want. :) Good luck!

I TOTALLY agree with sunny123. My son has been on differin for 8 weeks & we're now seeing improvement. The redness has diminished & he's not breaking out as much. Sunny123 told me early on that the initial breakout was between weeks 3-5 & we would start seeing results about week 6/7 & she was right!! Please stick with it. You will be very happy you did. Also think about changing your pillow cases every other day helps alot.

Yea I'm a little over my 4th week of differin gel .1%. My face has never been this bad before and its almost like boiling water some areas where I never had problems. Although its not peeling from dry skin really anymore. The thing I'm worried about is all these marks that its leaving, I can't tell if they are scars or just red marks but they are everywhere... Differin is going to fix that near the end of the 12 weeks right?

Its good to read that there still is hope of differin actually causing improvement...

im scared. Im on my 6th week of differin and the right side of my face is basically clear and the left is a disaster! when will it get better?

I really really think it will. Like other posts, it just takes time. I remember my son being at 6 weeks thinking "when will this stuff start to kick in?" Sunny123 was 2 weeks ahead of him & she reassured me that at 8 weeks we should/would see a difference & she was right. My son is now at 9 weeks & we're really seeing a difference. Yes, he still has breakouts but they're starting to slow down & subside & the irritation from the salicylic acid is fading. We went to the derm for his 2 mth check up on monday & the nurse pract. was very happy with his progress & we were as well. So stick with it, grey skies are gonna clear up!!!

im scared. Im on my 6th week of differin and the right side of my face is basically clear and the left is a disaster! when will it get better?

It's scary that I'm the same length in and have pretty much the same results. The left side of my face is virtually clear but the right side along with my forehead and chin are disaster zones. And to the poster who said her son still gets occasional breakouts, is his face COMPLETELY clear now and even if so, what is the point of even staying on this if you can break out like a monster at any time regardless (like I already do now)?

Hey,

I'm at week 10 for a six month Differin course, along with 100mg doxycycline. I found that the initial breakout wasn't as bad with the antibiotics, but for the first 6 weeks or so my skin looked a lot worse than when I started the treatment. Now that I'm two and a half months in, I'm finding that it's making a small improvement to my skin, but you'll have to accept that it's a very slow process. In the past few weeks I've noticed that the amount of acne popping up has decreased, but I still get a relatively large amount of pimples. I've also found that Differin has made no difference to my blackheads, and that ones which I cleared manually are returning, even with Differin.

I have a massive variance in the severity of acne on the different sides of my face - the left hand side is pretty much just large pores and blackheads, while the right hand side has scars, red marks and a lot more pimples.

I hate to be the pessimist, but as anybody will tell you, results will vary. Most people seem to have better experiences than mine (and even I'm experiencing a small amount of improvement), so I would encourage others to wait it out until at least three months.

There is a good chance that your acne will return when you come off the Differin - as my doctor put it, it's a temporary measure until your acne stops with age. Unfortunately, it's one of the only real options available for those that aren't able / willing to go on Accutane.

Best of luck with your skin though, I'm sure you'll see at least some improvement.

Progress with differin is frustrating and slow...like watching grass grow. Don't judge your skin after 6 weeks. I have experienced an amazing result between weeks 10 and 12. My skin has stopped breaking out at all with new pimples. I also had about 35 red marks on my face (I count them in the morning as I cover with makeup). Today, I woke up with only 5 red marks and feel like those will be gone by the end of the week.

My skin was the worst at week 5 and 6. I thought it wasn't working, but kept with the routine anyway. I don't know quite how it works, but in week 7 I just woke up one day and saw a huge improvement, and it just kept getting better day by day.

Yes, if you stop the treatment it will all come back, so keep with it!

Progress with differin is frustrating and slow...like watching grass grow. Don't judge your skin after 6 weeks. I have experienced an amazing result between weeks 10 and 12. My skin has stopped breaking out at all with new pimples. I also had about 35 red marks on my face (I count them in the morning as I cover with makeup). Today, I woke up with only 5 red marks and feel like those will be gone by the end of the week.

My skin was the worst at week 5 and 6. I thought it wasn't working, but kept with the routine anyway. I don't know quite how it works, but in week 7 I just woke up one day and saw a huge improvement, and it just kept getting better day by day.

Yes, if you stop the treatment it will all come back, so keep with it!

I'm in week 7. Somebody wake me up.

I've been on Minocycline and Differin since the 6th of this month, the differin does seem to be reducing the amount of inflamation my cystic acne. I'm using BP in the morning and differin at night. Also taking Apple Cider Vinegar tablets, flaxseed oil, vitamin b complex and zinc.

I'll post more in a couple of weeks.

SAME here....i have been using differin for 20 days....and around 10 - 11th....my face broke out like there was no tomorrow....huge zitz / reddness everywhere.....but around after 15th...its healing....BUT VERY SLOWLY....now im at round 20th day n the break out is there but not as bad.

now im adding benzaclin into the mix (2nd day of using) (daytime only)....wow it cleared out about 40% of what the differin break-out on the 20th day.

benzaclin (Benzole peroxide) works very very fast....n differin is more of long term effect....so i think its a good combo

Hey I posted in this thread so long ago when I was in my like 6th week or somthing..

Im at week 11 and 2 days and im still @#$%^&* breaking out..pardon my french. alright while I have to admit my face does seem alot less prone to breakouts I still [email protected]#$%^& have around 9 active breakouts on my @#$%^&* face and when I started I had @#$%^&* 2! Now Ill admit, for some reason this [email protected]$#$%^ cream makes my actives disappear faster which is a good thing. Another thing is that on places I usually do get acne consistintly, or used to, I dont AS MUCH anymore. I still breakout. I really dont think that these @#$%^&* spots are still the IB..come the @#$% on. I guess ill wait my 5 days until my wonderful 12 week mark comes. Who knows what will happen between now and then. It may just be my vain self talking but I fucking hate acne.

i dont see the point of differin if it causes an IB....they say it gets worse then better....wuts the point of that when any other product that shows quicker results will have u clear in 4 weeks almost gaurenteed....this thing talks about months

my derm prescribed differin to me RIGHT as my acne started to clear up.....i had clearish skin for once but it was my first visit so they had no idea....

so i figured well y not.....and i figured out Y NOT VERY QUICKLY....i got the worst IB....and im not about to deal with that espeiciallly wen it dries my skin out tierribly........

ya so i quit the differin routine and RE STARTED my old one.....its been 2 weeks and i havnt had anything happen......so pissed right now.

To be honest, topical retinoids can take 3-4 months to work, or even just not work for some people.

I've been on Tretinoin for 20 weeks (almost FIVE months), just doesn't seem to be working. Popped pustules go away faster now, but they leave red marks and I'm getting 3-5 NEW ones a day.

With a slight tan (Asian skin), my skin doesn't look that bad, but I'm getting acne in places I used to not. I hope I can persuade my derm I need 'tane tomorrow :).

I bailed out on the 2nd week lol, i just couldn't bare my break outs, i went from 3 tiny pimples and suddenly i woke up one day with 4 massive sore pimples, and it got worst and worst... so bad that i just couldn't believe the break out was worst than how i was on accutane...

But i'm not saying you should give up, i just didn't have the patience and courage because school was starting and i just couldn't afford having any more acne than i need... I envy and respect all those who stay on it and at end when the results kick in.. kudos to you :)

5 months and I quit Tretinoin. Just didn't help.

Very mild acne (maybe 3 whiteheads) but I was able to get Accutane today :).

i dont see the point of differin if it causes an IB....they say it gets worse then better....wuts the point of that when any other product that shows quicker results will have u clear in 4 weeks almost gaurenteed....this thing talks about months

my derm prescribed differin to me RIGHT as my acne started to clear up.....i had clearish skin for once but it was my first visit so they had no idea....

so i figured well y not.....and i figured out Y NOT VERY QUICKLY....i got the worst IB....and im not about to deal with that espeiciallly wen it dries my skin out tierribly........

ya so i quit the differin routine and RE STARTED my old one.....its been 2 weeks and i havnt had anything happen......so pissed right now.

I know exactly how you feel, I was clear (disreguarding the ONE little active i had on my nose) with like 4 red marks and now i have 7 actives and more red marks...AH

I've now progressed to midway through week 18 (ouch!), and am still waiting for the sudden clearing of my face. I began using azelaic acid with it, but my skin is even more oily now, so I'm going to stop for two weeks. In two further weeks, the 20 week mark, I'm going to visit a dermatologist and see what they think. I've started to get occasional cysts now (something that I've never had before), and I've recently broken out again. I'll see what they think, at the very least get a change off Differin to a stronger retinoid, and one that doesn't make my skin oily.

Sorry, that was a bit off topic. Yes, Differin makes you break out at first. Yes, it doesn't work for some people, such as me. Yes, these two things suck even more when combined. It does seem to help most people though, so I would say stick it out until at least 12 weeks.

With regards to the length of the initial breakout, mine was about 6 weeks.

I went to the doctor for a physical and she recommended that I start using Differin and a topical antibiotic for my mild acne, even though I was starting to clear up. I have only been using it for about a week, but my face has already started breaking out a little and with all the reviews I've read, I am afraid of just how bad it'll get! Also, has anyone experienced any sensitivity to the sun, because it is included in the side effects and I am just wondering how bad it is.