Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bball10

sebhorreic dermatitis, steroid cream, help??

so here's the quick story...

My skin had always been a little dry around my nose, but barely noticeable except for occasional flaking after showering...So i just had used general body lotion to solve that (yes it was scented, which i now know is really bad), but I never really had a problem until like a year ago I put someone after I had been outside and was sweating...it stung pretty badly and I noticed the next day on my cheeks and nose where I had put the lotion my face was really dry/red, and felt tight. I thought this would heal up and go away in a few days, but it didn't So for the next few months this would come and go every few days, I used Cetaphil moisutrizure to try to moisturize it, but it would still be somewhat red.

So eventually I decided to see a dermatologist about this in January. He said i had sebborheic dermatitis and prescribed me with some denoside steroid cream. For the first month or so, it really helped. It especially helped tone down the dryness/flaking and toned down the redness as well. Eventually, though the redness came back and my pores seemed to be more open than usual (not too much of a big deal, im more concerned about the redness and tightness). I went back to that derm and told him and he prescribed me a different steroid, this was more like a gel, after the first few uses I could tell it was not the answer.

After reading on here that using steroids on the face may not be the best thing, I decided to stop using them for a little and bought some of the Eucerin facial redness products (the night creme, the gentle wash, and the daily green lotion). It seemed that my face was getting better for a while, but there was still noticeable redness. I went to a different derm and told him all of this, he also said I have seb dermatitis and prescribed me a hydrocortisone/antifungus cream which would supposedly make the inflammation go down. After a few uses of this I really can't tell it might be making this worse.

I'm not really sold that I have seb derm because I dont really have the scaling/flaking (other than just regular dry skin).

I'd appreciate any help, but my main questions are:

1. Should I completely avoid putting steroids on my face?? (I had used the denoside dailt for like 2 months total)

2. Is there any specific type of antiinflammatory/antiredness lotion I could find?

3. Anyother help would be great, not only is it a little embarrassing, but I can also constantly feel the slight pain in face, which is just annoying (it also doesnt help that my summer job is in your standard, air conditioning blasting office)

Thanks a lot for any help!

I was also given steroid cream for this issue around my nose/upper lip. Afterwards, my derm said my primary doctor should not have done that and may have made it worse. He gave me some cortisone cream and told me to use dandruff shampoo. I did that, and it has not come back for more than 5 years.

p.s. I never had visible dandruff, but somehow using the dandruff shampoo helped. Go figure.

hmm, i kind of thought steroid and cortisone creams were basically the same thing??

I mite try that dandruff shampoo thing, was that prescription or just like regular shampoo you would use for hair??...also was your skin inflamed and feeling tight before you used it??

thanks for the help...im just trying to make sure our cases are similar before I try something cuz I'm worried anything I try will make it worse

To clarify, when i put the hydrocortisone/lodoquin cream on my face, there is not really any irritation, but my face turns quite red in the areas i put it. I've only put it on twice, and both times I washed it off after a few minutes because of this extra redness. Should i try it again and leave it on, or is the redness a sign that i should not be using it??

someone please?

It still sounds like Sub-derm to me. Nizoral Shampoo worked better for me than anything the Derm gave me. I occasionally have to use a corticosteroid to keep things at bay, only like once or twice a week. Long term use of steroid creams is not really good, no matter what a derm says.

I actually use Triamcinolone in just the areas of concern, not my whole face. But what really helps is a retinoid cream. Differin is often prescribed not just for acne but for sub-derm as well. Helps speeds up the cell renewal. It's something not often given to sub-derm patients because docs tend to not think of it for that use. I use Tazorac which I cannot rave enough about. No sub-derm issues!! but Nizoral Shampoo. Give it a whirl. It's sold in the Dandruff section at the drugstore. I use it once a week and on days I don't use it, I stick with Head and Shoulders. I haven't seen a flake in years.

Yea i think i might pick up some of the Nizoral from CVS today...did it also help with redness/irritation (those are my main issues)??

Are there any other products, lotions, etc. i should pick up at the store?

I'm also concerned i may have steroid rosacea since i was using denoside (hydrocortisone) for like 2 months daily...i've seen some people recommend eiledel, is that good? I'm just trying to figure out what I can go get without a prescription today since I just saw a derm who gave me a different hydrocortisone and I don't wanna go back yet....

I just picked up some Nizoral dandruff shampoo and put it onto my face and left it there for like 5 minutes then washed it off....is this the correct way to use it? or should it be left on longer? I felt i cooling sensation, hopefully it is not irritating

Can anyone that has used Nizoral before tell me if it helped clear redness and reduce the pain/tightness felt throughout the day?? My main problem areas are the sides of my nose and my cheeks

How often should I use the Nizoral and how soon would I notice a difference?

Lastly, is there any good moisturisure I should be using on my face? I currently use cetaphil and occasionally eucerin calming cream.

The moisturizers you're using are good. The nizoral should not be left on; just use it as a cleanser or just apply, let sit, and then rinse off as you've been doing.

I really don't like steroid usage because I've seen what they can do to people; I'm so glad you're being careful! :)

At night a tiny film of vaseline can help, too. Just a scant amount gently massaged into the red areas.

yea i mite try the vaselline tonight...

Does anyone think trying exfolliation would help with this?? I've never really done and was reading about it some on here....which method would work best?

Don't exfoliate! It will only irritate and make it worse, at least it did in my case. I finally figured that out. I still get bouts of dermatitis or ecezma or whatever this is. I have dry, flakey and red skin along my laugh lines, on my chin and under my nose. The dr. gave me a script for a cortizone cream and it works wonders. I only use a very,very small amount and rub in gently. It seems in my case the exfoliation just added to the problem, but all are different and it might be ok for you to do that, just be gentle, Elf

So I've used the nixoral shampoo for about a week or so, and it's definately helped with dryness/flaking (pretty much completely gone). However, i still have some redness and irritation on my cheeks....any suggestions for something I could pick up from like CVS or something?

thanks

What might have really caused the redness in your face? Whatever it was, I think the blood vessels in your face are dilated thus causing the redness. Now this is only a suggestion that you might want to try. I've heard this from a friend who frequently does this method and she has great skin..

You might want to rub ice cubes on your face at least once a day after washing your face in the morning. This way, the pores and the blood vessels in your face will constrict and thus contributes to the lessening of the redness.

It might not totally give your a remedy but I hope it might help..

I always thought elidel sucks for eczema, but I guess it could have a different affect on you. I never had sub-derm, but I've had dermatitis my whole life elsewhere and the best remedy I've had was a steroid called elocon (momentasone furoate generic). It's a godsend, I use it about 2-3 times a week and any patch is usually gone.

Don't exfoliate, that will make any dermatitis spread like a wildfire. Never itch or rub it. I wouldn't recommend putting a steroid on more than a 3-4 times a week, but that's just me. I'm no doc. Good luck.

You shouldn't be using shampoo on your face. Use a cream.

It's fine if the person doesn't develop a sensitivity.

I have been told I have Rosacea and sebhorreic dermatitis and acne. I have battled with it for over ten yearas but now that I am in my 30s it is worse. I have tried evertyhing. Right now I am on Metrogel Finecea and oral Doryx. In the past I have tried it all includeing steriods which work only for a short time. Nothing is working My face is very sensative, red, swollen and flacky. Some days it is good but most of the time bad

I have been told I have Rosacea and sebhorreic dermatitis and acne. I have battled with it for over ten yearas but now that I am in my 30s it is worse. I have tried evertyhing. Right now I am on Metrogel Finecea and oral Doryx. In the past I have tried it all includeing steriods which work only for a short time. Nothing is working My face is very sensative, red, swollen and flacky. Some days it is good but most of the time bad

Hey guys,

I see we're discussing rosacea. Okay, so I was recommended this cream (its Rx) by my dermatologist years ago for my acne, and I've still been using it to this day. It's called Rosula, and it is primarily used to treat rosacea and sebhorreic dermatitis. It's worked for me, and cleared me of my acne from the start, and has kept me clear throughout the years. Should read more about it, or at least talk to your derm about it!

Michelle

I do not endorse Elidel and I would avoid it if you believe you have rosacea or steriod induced rosacea. Elidel is not intended to treat rosacea, it is for eczema. It comes with a strong cancer warning, which is why many dermatologists do not prescribe it at all and you don't hear much about it. Some dermatologists will prescribe Elidel for rosacea because it reduces redness. It reduces redness by turning off your skin's auto-immune system (an out of whack auto-immune sytem is believed to cause eczema). It is not intended to be used daily. It is intended to be used for a week or two until the condition is brought under control.

I had horrible experiences with it and I tried it mulitple times. It reduced the redness, but within a few days - I had a horrible flareup. This happened each time. There have been several small studies that show that Elidel encourages the demodex mite population on one's skin and demodex mites are thought to contribute to rosacea. That makes sense to me, because if your auto-immune system is turned off - the mites would be able to flourish. But that is just my theory. Don't take that as science.

Rosula contains sulfur. Sulfur is a traditional treatment for rosacea as well as acne, and there are multiple prescription products that contain sulfur. Sulfur reduces inflammation and kills bacteria. Sulfur is also prescribed in a pill form. It is definately a treatment to consider. The only problem with the sulfur is that many people are allergic to it and if you are allergic to it - your skin will break out in a rash.

Edited by MrsZ