Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ventura55

History of Acne

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to these boards, so please forgive me if this topic has been discussed.

I've been thinking a lot lately about the causes of acne, whether it be diet, genetics or hormones in our food supply.

I'm just curious if acne has always been around. Sure, some of our parents may have experienced it, but what about theirs? And what about our great-great grandparents? It would seem to me that if they too suffered from acne, we could eliminate hormones in food supplies as a cause. Additionally, if they're from other countries, specifically ones with diets much healthier than the modern day average American diet we could eliminate all foods together, leaving really only genetics, and natural hormonal changes.

Does this argument hold water, and does anyone have any insight into history and acne?

Thanks!

Hey Everyone,

I've been thinking a lot lately about the causes of acne, whether it be diet, genetics or hormones in our food supply.

I'm just curious if acne has always been around. Sure, some of our parents may have experienced it, but what about theirs? And what about our great-great grandparents? It would seem to me that if they too suffered from acne, we could eliminate hormones in food supplies as a cause. Additionally, if they're from other countries, specifically ones with diets much healthier than the modern day average American diet we could eliminate all foods together, leaving really only genetics, and natural hormonal changes.

Does this argument hold water, and does anyone have any insight into history and acne?

Thanks!

Been around since ancient Greece - http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlere...i?artid=2081863

Check it out.

Hey Everyone,

Thanks!

A cure requires a working time machine and killing our first ancestor with this mutation before he/she has any offspring. It would probably alter world history beyond recognition though. Wait, that's probably a good thing...

Acne Vulgaris - A Disease of Western Civilization:

http://archderm.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/a...act/138/12/1584

In this paper, the authors suggest that a low-glycemic load diet may prevent acne. Two native populations (Paraguay and Papua New Guinea) living on such diets, have very low occurrence of acne. But of course, a genetic relationship can't be excluded.

I did in fact try to compose a low-glycemic load diet a year ago, but failed to maintain the diet for more than three weeks due to massive weight loss and fatigue. My acne was unaffected in this short time frame.

Maybe this is a myth, but I've also read that the eskimos didn't have acne prior to Western eating habbits.

Occurence of acne in ancient Greece is not necessarily a disproof of a casual relation between dietary and acne, unless the same percentage suffered from the condition.

I have a Medieval Medical book that talks about getting rid of "Spots" and even severe cases of it. I also know that the ancient Egyptians had medical formulas for skin treatments including using Crocodile dung...yuck.

In this paper, the authors suggest that a low-glycemic load diet may prevent acne. Two native populations (Paraguay and Papua New Guinea) living on such diets, have very low occurrence of acne. But of course, a genetic relationship can't be excluded.

Maybe this is a myth, but I've also read that the eskimos didn't have acne prior to Western eating habbits.

Occurence of acne in ancient Greece is not necessarily a disproof of a casual relation between dietary and acne, unless the same percentage suffered from the condition.

so what do the Paraguay tribe and the Papua New Guinea tribe and the eskimos have in common?

They've been genetically stable and largely ISOLATED for the last 10,000 years or so.

No one said it has to be an ancient mutation, just old enough for the egyptians and greeks to notice and document it. Most likely part of the indo-european family of tribes. People of different races with acne, look hard into your ancestry and you may also find indo-european blood.

Sorry to be such a downer, I can point to suspected allele sequences if anyone cares (not my research). It's a genetic disease with environmental triggers. The severity of the disease depends on factors (also genetic) yet to be discovered, it's not a simple on/off switch.

I dunno...my parents used to never miss opportunities to tell me that nobody in India has probs with breaking out. And I could never confidently dispute that either.

I did in fact try to compose a low-glycemic load diet a year ago, but failed to maintain the diet for more than three weeks due to massive weight loss and fatigue. My acne was unaffected in this short time frame.

Yeah but on this website under LEARN and ACNE MYTHS it says that diet does not effect acne, and my dermotologist said that too.

Yeah but on this website under LEARN and ACNE MYTHS it says that diet does not effect acne, and my dermotologist said that too.

well I for one can confirm that over 17 years and a number of diet changes (have been on a low-carb diet for the last 6 years) - it makes no difference whatsoever wrt acne or sebum output.

the study cited above - they may have hit a genetic profile (see my post above) and they're correlating it with natural diet; as we know, correlation does not imply causation.

my acne is defo genetic, as far as my hormones which cause it are genetic. my dad had TERRIBLE acne. I know people of all different races and nationalities who have/had acne, so i dunno whether that would suggest genetics or diet seeing as i live in the uk. I think diet can exacerbate acne as diary does mine, but it probably wouldn't be a soul cause unless you have an allergy. Fact is, it is hard to be sure about anything when it comes to acne - it is like the common cold, there are so many different types that a universal cure is near impossible.

anecdotal references do not mean it was always acne, could be a lot of thigns that look like acne.

SKin conplaints have always been around, espcially in times where sanitation was poor

==

acne isn't about mutation, its a bodily ailment, it doesn't inhibit survival of our race or genes... if tht was the case we would never get piles or any other thing like that

Unfortunately, most dermatologists know nothing about diet and acne, here's why...

Only a 3 percent of six thousand medical licensing board exam questions that includes dermatology are even loosely related nutrition.

A survey published in Medical Education Online, only 7 percent of schools in the United States had an actual nutrition course to give future medical professionals a chance to use nutrition from a clinical perspective.

If anybody sat through a single, one hour discussion about nutrition for every four years they've been in school, would they be qualified to say that diet has nothing to do with acne?

I dunno...my parents used to never miss opportunities to tell me that nobody in India has probs with breaking out. And I could never confidently dispute that either.

So you mean they could confidently prove it was true?

@isolated tribes - Are you suggesting that genetic isolation prevents acne? Well well I'd rather have acne than marry my cousin

I'm pretty sure that the Indo-European tribes are carriers of acne.

You won't even find any documentation about acne in ancient Chinese, Japanese or Aztec writings.

But you can find it in ancient Greek documents, and Roman also.

It might be karma, the greatest conquerors and the nations that had a particular greed for expansion were condemned with such a miserable disease.

It might be karma, the greatest conquerors and the nations that had a particular greed for expansion were condemned with such a miserable disease.

Interesting...well if acne is associated with increased testosterone and increased testosterone is associated with dominance and aggression...then perhaps it all makes sense?

Interesting...well if acne is associated with increased testosterone and increased testosterone is associated with dominance and aggression...then perhaps it all makes sense?

this is what I always thought as well...