Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gracieb

Accupuncture and Cupping

I have had accupuncture for various ailments since I was quite young, as both of my parents are holistically trained in various strands of therapies, and often I received it from their friends. I find it rather soothing; and in relation to my skin, I think that, after having had accupunture, I glow once more, I feel energy restored to my body and any visible pimples begin to fade.

With this holistic approach the practitioner works with the individual's condition: the sheer amount of dedication to you is incredible. They check you thoroughly by asking a variety of questions, taking your pulse and assessing the tongue. Because the strong belief is in rectifying the misalignment of Qui, the body's natural energy, I am usually given accupuncture around the navel - nearest to the body's meridian. I am naturally very hot-blooded (oi, oi!), which indicates hormone imbalances (that can lead to acne) so a lot of my personal progression is on dispelling excess heat from the body, regularising my periods and banishing headaches and fatigue etc. As this is a detox method, the skin can get worse before it gets better - and one should not expect miracles over night. I am having routine sessions at the moment, which, along with herbal medication, are aiding my progression. Although my skin has not cleared over night, I feel generally calmer, healthier, happier and more at ease in the world - and my body!

I also had cupping for the first time today. It was AWESOME!

I'm going from strength to strength with these appointments and by taking chinese herbal medication. I'm so happy! I literally have about 4 active spots right now and all the rest is marks or bumps that are fading and reducing. YEY!

Cupping works very well with accupuncture because it is a method whereby acupressure (physical pressure applied to accupuncture points on the body) is applied to the patient's skin by placing a warmed glass cup, which creates a vaccum on the patient's skin. The vaccum means that the skin is dragged further inside the cup causing a pleasureable pain (?!), similar to stinging. In this process, your body's toxic energy emerges in the form of clouded air, which is drawn into the cup and then dispelled.

The therapy is used to relieve what is called "stagnation" in Traditional Chinese Medical terms, and is used in the treatment of respiratory diseases such as the common cold, pneumonia, and bronchitis. Cupping is also used to treat back, neck, shoulder, and other musculoskeletal pain. It is useful in the elimination of toxicity and hence, is a useful practice for skin/acne clearance, too.

I'm not sure if cupping works. I grew up around a culture where I saw a lot of my relatives get cupped. It seems like they were better off not doing it at all. Although, for one relative, it did help with back pain.

In this process, your body's toxic energy emerges in the form of clouded air, which is drawn into the cup and then dispelled.

Cupping is the best! When I have it done, they leave the cups on for a maximum of ten mins - until the skin is pink, as opposed to bleeding! Ouch, that wouldn't be nice at all. You are correct in thinking that it's best to find a recommended practitioner. I personally belive it to be a great accompaniment to accupuncture, though.