Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kcr

Retin-a users: What do you do for dryness or peeling

I just started using retin-a .025% every day, after 3 months of every other day. In the very beginning I peeled big time, but I only use a small amount and my skin is pretty used to it, so I'm not red or peeling, which is good. I also like the way most of my skin feels now, softer and smoother. (I'm still breaking out on my chin, but I think that's due to my body still adjusting to spironolactone, which I'm also on). I've been using prescription topicals for almost 25 years now, and I have to be extra careful because my skin tends to get super dry from any topical (even though my skin type is definitely oily). I am getting a little too dry in some spots to wear makeup without having some of it look flaky, but I have to wear it to cover up my chin breakouts, and it's also an extra spf protection for me.

Any suggestions for a really good moisturizer? The Eucerin cream in the big tub says it's non-comedogenic, but it's so thick and creamy I would never have dreamed of using it on my face in the past. I used it out of desperation when I first was peeling badly and I don't think it had any adverse effect but I don't want to use it on my entire face or use it all the time. What are some other good choices for keeping my skin moisturized while using retin-a?

i tend to put some aqueous cream on it, just a small amount and it stops the dryness, but too much aqueous cream i find can make it more dry! (as i use it to wash with)

i havnt really noticed that the retin a has done a lot for my skin, is it helping you?

I think it's helping me more for skin texture than it is for acne--but it's hard to say since I'm on tetracycline, spiro and Yaz, and my derm has been increasing my dosage of spiro slowly, so I don't know if my recent breakouts are from my body trying to get used to the increasing spiro and then the Yaz.

Overall I'd say retin-a is making my skin look younger (I'm 33) but it remains to be seen if it is really helping the acne.